How to Change the Name of my MacBook
When you first purchase a MacBook, the initial setup process will ask you to pick a name for the laptop. Even so, because of the initial excitement, many people tend to overlook this step, hence simply choose a random name.
The importance of choosing your MacBook’s name
However, there are cases when MacBook users aren’t even given the opportunity to pick a new name at all. This often happens when the computer is gifted by friends or family, or upon purchasing a second-hand Mac. Since the name of the MacBook appears in numerous circumstances, such as when logging in, sharing files via AirDrop, or using Find My Mac, having the wrong name displayed can be quite a nuisance. Some security experts argue that you should name your MacBook using your full name, since doing so can serve as proof of ownership, in case you ever misplace it.
Easily changing your MacBook’s name
In this article, we will guide you through the main steps that you need to follow, in order to change the name of your MacBook.
- Access system preferences
First, you’ll have to head over to your Mac’s setting preferences. Click on the menu bar, and then click on the settings icon.
- Enter the ‘sharing’ settings dialogue
On the 3rd row of the Setting Preferences app, the last icon will be named ‘Sharing’. Clicking on it will open a new dialogue box, where you will be able to change your MacBook’s name, alongside tweaking other settings.
- Changing the name
On the top of the page, you’ll find the current name attributed to your computer. Click on the bar, and write your name of choice. After you’ve entered the new name, simply press enter, or click outside the box.
If you’ve followed the steps correctly, your MacBook should now display a different name whenever you use it.
What is my Mac’s name?
How do I change my Apple ID Name on Mac?
Can I rename my hard drive Mac?
Why can’t I rename my hard drive Mac?
How do I rename my internal hard drive on a Mac?
Can you rename your hard drive?
How do I rename my Mac startup disk?
- Go to Computer view in Finder (Go menu -> Computer)
- Select the disk to be renamed.
- Get Info on it (File menu -> Get Info)
- Expand the Name section.
- Change the name to whatever you want.
- Press Tab once done, so that the change takes effect.
- Close the Get Info window.
How do I edit folders on a Mac?
Can I change the Colour of folders on Mac?
What is the fastest way to rename a file on Mac?
How do I customize my Mac desktop?
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Desktop & Screen Saver, then click Desktop. Open the Desktop pane for me.
- On the left, find a picture or color:
- On the right, click the picture you want to use.
How do I add widgets to my Mac desktop 2020?
How do I customize my Mac Dock?
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Dock & Menu Bar preferences. Open Dock & Menu Bar preferences for me.
- In the Dock & Menu Bar section in the sidebar, change the options you want.
How do I use my Macbook Pro 2020?
How do u right click on a MacBook?
One way to right click on a Mac is to press the Ctrl (or Control) key when you tap the mouse button or the trackpad. Don’t confuse the Ctrl key with the Alt (or Option) key.