Most people who have owned a dog know how frustrating it is when their pets urinate on the floor. Whether it is carpeting or linoleum, it is important that you know how to clean it up as effectively as possible. Some methods work better than others, depending on the type of flooring the stain is on.
If you have dog urine on your carpeting, there are numerous methods of getting it out that you should know about. It’s really not as hard to remove as most people think.
- One of the most effective methods of getting dog urine out of carpeting is with white vinegar. All you have to do is spray some on the spot and let it sit for a few minutes. After it has had some time to soak in, you can use a damp cloth to get the urine out. Make sure to dry the area thoroughly.
- Lemon juice is another effective way of removing dog urine from carpeting. It is highly acidic, which will work in your favor. You can combine with a little bit of water if you want.
- You may also spray some isopropyl alcohol on the urine to get it out. This is one of the more effective methods you can use. Spray a liberal amount and let it sit for a couple of minutes before using some paper towel to lift the urine out of the carpeting.
- Laminate Flooring
While getting dog urine off laminating flooring can seem very simple and easy, it can actually be quite tricky. If you want to pick it up completely with no smell left behind, it is important to learn some of the more effective methods.
The first step is to sprinkle some baking soda on the urinated area. You don’t need to use a ton, but rather enough to cover the spot. Keep the baking soda on the soiled area for a total of two hours. Finally, vacuum up the baking soda and wipe with a damp paper towel. Make sure to dry the area thoroughly afterwards with a paper towel.
- Ceramic Tile
Getting dog urine off ceramic tile can also be quite a challenge, especially if you don’t know what you are doing. This method is very simple and easy to follow.
- Pour some white vinegar on a towel and press it into the stained area of your tile for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a paper towel to wipe up any traces of urine that are left on the ceramic tile.
- Take some hydrogen peroxide and wipe it over the area with a paper towel to sanitize the area.
- Stone Floor
If you have a stone floor with dog urine on it, you need to know how to get dog urine out without a lot of hassle.
- Use a paper towel to wipe down the urinated spot with warm soapy water.
- Put some rubbing alcohol on a cloth and move it over the area to sanitize it.
- After the alcohol has completely dried, spray a mixture of water and bleach to make sure that all of the germs are gone.
- Take a damp paper towel and wipe down the area, making sure to dry it thoroughly.
If your dog has urinated on leather-upholstered furniture, getting it out can be tricky to say the least. There is a very specific process you must follow.
- Take a dry paper towel and wipe the urine off the leather as thoroughly as possible.
- Use a combination of white vinegar and water to wipe down the area. Spray a liberal amount on the spot where the urine was.
- Soak up any remaining urine with a sponge. Make sure to keep squeezing it out into a bucket and reapplying it to the stained area.
- Dry the area with some paper towels.
- Removing Old Stains
If you have old dog urine stains that you want to remove, doing so can be a challenge. You will want to use a wet vacuum to do this. After you have used the vacuum on the spot, you should wipe it with a damp paper towel and apply with hydrogen peroxide. The effectiveness of this method will depend on the vacuum you use and how old the stain is. If it is a very old stain, you might want to pay a professional to come to your home.
- If you want to remove the smell of dog urine from your flooring, baking soda works very well. It neutralizes the highly acidic urine in the floor, covering up the odor completely. Depending on the size of the stain, you might have to use quite a bit.
- If you are using vinegar to remove dog stains, especially from carpeting, you need to mix it with a decent amount of water. The last thing you want to do is apply straight vinegar to your carpets.
- A professional cleaning service can probably get the dog urine stains out of your flooring, but it’s always a good idea to try on your own first.
- The sooner you start cleaning up the urine, the more effective your efforts will be.
If you are going to use any store-bought product to clean dog urine off your flooring, do your research before making a final decision.