There are two primary art forms involving a single sheet of paper, which are well entrenched in Japanese culture.
The Japanese art forms of origami and kirigami are some of the simplest yet elegant forms of art. Although both types of art involve a single sheet of paper, there is a fundamental difference that distinguishes the two from each other.
While in origami, you are only supposed to fold the paper and not do anything else, kirigami allows you to cut fold and even use glue to give birth to your creation.
Over time countless paper creations have originated from these two methods. Some of these creations are so simple that they have become a source of entertainment for children. These creations include paper airplanes, boats, hats, snowflakes, spheres, swans, and more.
One such creation that can be helpful for children and even adults, who are looking to make a meaningful gift for someone, for instance, is a paper book.
What can I use a paper book for?
DIY creations always have multiple uses, and they are, in most cases, significantly cheaper than going out to buy those items. Similarly, a paper book can have several applications and can benefit you greatly if you learn how to make one. The first benefit of these DIY projects is cost-efficiency.
You save money, and you can use these notebooks for several purposes. You can gift them to children and ask them to write a story on it. This DIY will help increase the creativity of the kids as well as their imaginative power.
Children can also make these books themselves as a crafts project which will help them be better craftsmen. Furthermore, you can write pretty notes on the books and gift them to your loved ones. When it comes to paper, you can utilize your imaginative skills, and the sky is the limit.
What do you need to make a paper book?
One of the best things about this DIY creation is that it does not need an extensive list of starting material. You can simply create this using just three basic things.
- Your paper for the book. This can be any kind of paper. It can be colored, patterned, lined, blank, or simple. Use your imagination and come up with the best type of paper for the book you are looking to make.
- Glue or staplers to stick your creation up and give it a final shape. It is recommended to use glue because it provides a cleaner and more proper finish than stapler pins that stick out of the paper. The staplers make your paper book seem hastily made.
- A pair of craft scissors. Use these carefully.
- Optional: Decorative stickers or patterns that you can stick to the paper book to make it look better and more appealing. Other crafts tools like ribbons, paints, etc. can also be used for this purpose.
How to make your paper book:
Getting onto the actual procedure of creating the DIY paper book. You need to follow the simple steps described below that will allow you to create your book without much hassle:
- Fold the paper to form eight sections. Make sure that the folding is done correctly, as it is the most crucial step. Do not rush through the folding process. Start by folding the paper you have into half so that the paper shows up long and skinny. Then fold it in the other direction and alternate folding direction again till you have eight sections on your paper.
- Make sure that you do not fold wrongly and have extra creases on your paper. Use your fingernails or the corner of a book to press down the folded edges so that they solidify.
- Unfold your paper and make sure that it is divided neatly into eight equal sections. These sections will become the pages of your paper book in the end.
- Take your scissors and fold the paper on the first initial fold. Place the paper such that the folded edge faces you and cut it up to the first fold. Do not cut all the way through. Make sure your cut is neat.
- Unfold the paper to see the eight original folds with a cut slit in the middle. Fold the paper into half again – long edge folded onto each other.
- This part is an integral step. Fold the cut and folded sections onto each other into a book shape. Start by holding your paper up so that the slit faces upward. Fold the page to form a paper book.
- Glue the back of your paper book into place carefully and neatly, and your book is ready to be used.
Precautionary measures you need to take to make a paper book:
There are not a lot of precautions that need to be taken. However, a few things you need to care of when making a paper book include:
- Ensure that your folds are neat. Spend some time on the folding process.
- If you are a kid doing this for a crafts project, ask an elder to assist you with the cutting and gluing/stapling.
Follow the above explained simple steps, and you have a beautiful DIY at hand.