In today’s day and age, having a mobile phone has become a basic necessity.
You need your phone for almost every facet of your daily life.
From waking up, ordering food, keeping up with your friends and businesses to capturing memories of your life – mobile phones have become an inarguable need for functioning properly in your life.
However, these pocket-sized devices are also liable to damage. The wear and tear of daily life, along with your phone falling or rubbing against a porous surface, can damage your phone screen’s damage.
Although small scratches and cracks hurt no one – it can be highly distractive for the user. Having to operate a phone with a scratched or cracked screen can prove to be irritating, not only mentally but exhaustive for your eyes as well.
There are many DIYs all over the internet claiming to fix your scratched and cracked screen. However, the toothpaste method is one of the simplest DIY when it comes to fixing your screen.
If you are looking for a cheap method to get rid of the scratches on your mobile screen, we have everything you need to know about the toothpaste method described below.
What items will you need to fix a cracked phone screen with toothpaste?
Most DIY repairs or ‘life hacks’ utilize common household items to make the doing it yourself part easier. Similarly, this trick to fixing your cracked phone screen will also utilize items that you already have or are very easy to hold.
At the very least, even if you have to buy these items, it will still cost you a lot less than having your screen replaced. Following is a list of items that you will need;
Naturally, you will need toothpaste for a process that is premised on it. You do, however, need ‘paste,’ not gel. Tooth gel will not work, and the best kind of toothpaste you can use is a flavorless one.
- Access to Compressed Air
There are multiple ways to go about accessing compressed air. The most reliable way of doing so would be to get a can of compressed air as they are more efficient. You can, however, utilize hair dryers or blowers as alternatives.
- Q-Tip/Cotton Swabs
These are essential for this fix as you will be using them to apply the toothpaste. You may use any other item that performs a similar function to these swabs, provided they are soft and gentle on the screen.
Put a towel on the table. Next up, you need to place your mobile screen in such a way that it faces you. Blow off the entire screen with a burst of compressed air. In order to remove the dust around your screen, wipe edges of the screen using a soft cloth that can remove it.
What is the process of fixing my screen?
- To begin the process, you need to rest your phone on a folded piece of cloth or towel in a way that it faces you.
- You need to use the compressed air to blow off all the dust from the screen, after which you will use a soft piece of cloth to clean the edges of the screen to remove any gathered dust.
- Blow the screen with compressed air again to remove any residual dust.
- Now you will put toothpaste on your cotton swab or Q-tip, but make sure to remove any excess paste.
- Use your dominant hand to then apply the toothpaste on the crack or scratch, covering it entirely. Make sure you aren’t applying too much pressure.
- After the crack or scratch is covered, throw away the Q-tip and put your phone aside for a few minutes.
- Use a soft cloth to gently clean the screen and remove any excess toothpaste that may have remained.
- Check to see if the crack or scratch is still visible; if it is, repeat it until the desired results are achieved.
Precautions you need to take to fix a cracked phone screen with a toothpaste:
Electronic devices are generally fragile and require precaution and care – especially when you are putting them through a DIY. Some of the precautionary measures you need to be careful about when trying this method out include:
- Turn your phone off. Keeping the phone power on can cause permanent damage to the software and electronic parts of your mobile.
- Remove the battery after turning the phone off to minimize damage. Some phones like the iPhone do not have removable batteries. In this case, it is recommended to keep the phone turned off and as dry as possible.
- Seal the charging ports and other connecting ports to minimize any liquid damage caused by the DIY. For this purpose, use a piece of transparent tape.
- In case of major cracks in the screen, always go to a customer care center to have the screen of your phone professionally replaced.
Although toothpaste can help remove scratches and small cracks from your phone screen, it is recommended to always go for a professional solution in case of major cracks. With a small sum of money, you can easily get your phone screen replaced by a professional with zero risks.