Starry night is a type of canvas painting crafted by the famous Dutch Post-Impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh.
It portrays the view from an east-facing window of his room in an asylum at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, in FranceThe Museum of Modern Art in New York City had his painting since 1941.
What is Vincent Van Gogh’s Technique?
In his painting, Vincent van Gogh said that it is Venus which is the brightest star just above the mountain. However, the method which Vincent van Gogh used to paint this epic masterpiece includes the following,
- Firstly, you have to lay your canvas in a landscape mode. You need a quarter-inch paintbrush to portray your whole canvas in ultramarine blue color. Leave a small space at the bottom.
- Then, you have to paint the bottomland portion with phthalo green color. Subsequently, paint a light sapphire hill behind the phthalo green land in the eastern region of the canvas.
- Paint an additional mountain range with ultramarine blue mixed with light blue. Furthermore, with a piece of chalk, you need to draw a huge spiral in the skies. You can sketch a smaller spiral beneath the bigger one.
- The large and small spiral must be painted with light blue. Sketch a circle of light yellow color in the upper right curve for the foundation of the moon.
- Sketch relatively smaller circles in the entire sky for the foundation of the stars. Also, paint some dash lines with yellow color down the horizon. Similarly, do the same for the light blue spirals too.
- Sketch dash lines with ultramarine and light blue. Remember, you need to sketch these ultramarine blue dash lines all around the stars. Also, paint some dash lines on the ground as well.
- Next, you have to sketch an orange hemispherical moon along with some orange circles in the stars.
- Also, sketch some orange dash lines and paint black the entire cypress tree. Lastly, put in some texture with a bit of orange to the cypress tree before the black dries.
What Colors are Used in the Starry Night?
Starry Night is a great painting that you can paint with your kids at home. Moreover, it provides an excellent prospect to learn a lot about the legend, Vincent Van Gogh. So, the colors that are used in the epic starry night painting are,
- Ultramarine Blue.
- Titanium White.
- Mars Black.
- Phthalo Green.
- Cadmium Yellow Medium.
- Cadmium Orange Hue.
What Paint did Van Gogh Use for Starry Night?
The renowned painter Vincent van Gogh painted his famous starry night painting with oil paint on stretched linen. He used bristle brushes along with pallet knives. However, he loaded his paintbrushes and knives with paint, by applying it in thick strokes. This is a unique technique and is called Impasto.
Is Starry Night Acrylic?
The Dutch-born painter, Vincent van Gogh made his world-famous painting called the starry night in an asylum in France. Though he used oil-based paints to sketch the painting, still you can paint with acrylics. There are possible ways that you can follow and paint the starry night with acrylic paints.
How to Paint Starry Night Watercolor?
Though the starry night was painted with an oil-based color, you can paint with watercolors as well. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to paint starry night in Watercolor.
- Wet-in-wet and warm colors. Cooling down the evening sky. Create a sweeping night sky with watercolor techniques.
- Dabbing in a dotted galaxy. Grounded silhouettes. Splattering stars around a colorful galaxy.
How to Paint Starry Night Step-by-Step Tutorial?
There are several methods of painting this epic masterpiece by van Gogh. You can use watercolors or acrylic paints. However, van Gogh made this painting using oil base paint. Here is a step by step tutorial guide,
- You will start this painting by sketching out all the slopes like the shape of a cypress tree. This will make up the painting. Furthermore, sketch the lining for all the landscaped background.
- In the next step, start painting all the small villages in a distance which in reality, happened to be Saint-Rémy. You will find it relatively easy to sketch all the foothills as well as the small buildings.
- You will now start sketching the cypress tree as well as the rest of the hillside on the left. But, be sure to paint the tree in the same way that you see it in the original painting. However, you have to make it look like seaweed.
- Now, add a few details to that cypress tree, and start painting out the swirls in the background that will develop the horizon and wispy sky. Also, draw circular-shaped sketching for the moon on the right. Furthermore, for the foothills, you might need to add additional landscape lining.
- Lastly and most importantly, you need to complete sketching out all the swirling clouds which make up the night sky. Also, draw the moon in a crescent shape and include the smaller circles for the stars. Subsequently, you can start to erase all the guidelines as well as shapes which you drew previously.
How to Paint Starry Night on the Wall?
For painting a starry night in your walls, an acrylic based paint along with a latex primer will be best suited.
- In three separate bowls, you need to mix the dark blue, green, and purple acrylic paints along with the glazing medium in a 1:1 ratio.
- Using this dark blue acrylic glaze mixture along with a new damp sea sponge, you have to dab the paint in an up-and-down motion on the wall. You must remember to leave some spaces in the areas of a light blue background.
- You can dip into a second color and dab haphazardly over the primary areas of color using this same sponge.
- Continue sponging in the outward direction by adding and mixing all colors on the wall. You must avoid creating tiny secluded patches of color. Instead, think big and mix masses of the same colors to give the continuous feel to the blue sky.
- Finally, when you come to an edge, try using your stencil brush to continue the mottled paint effect where the sea sponge cannot accommodate. Let the paint dry for some time.
How to Paint Starry Night Oil?
The oil painting technique of van Gogh’s starry night is a strongly marked plasticity of brush strokes. He reached this effect as he used minimum paint thinner. So the palettes you need to prepare with before starting the oil painting are,
- Cadmium yellow medium
- Raw sienna
- Burnt umber
- Viridian green
- Phthalocyanine blue
- Sky blue
- Cobalt blue
- Ultramarine light
- Chisel brushes
- Synthetic brushes of different hair length and rigidity degree
How to Paint Night acrylic Step by Step?
Of course, there are methods for making your acrylic painting into a masterpiece. We will discuss these methods step by step, including,
- Best lighting.
- Deciding the subject and focal point.
- Planning your painting’s layout.
- Tinting your canvas.
- Drawing your idea first.
- Painting the middle values first.
- Adding details and highlights.
To begin with an acrylic painting you will need to ensure that you have the seven basic painting supplies. These seven supplies for Acrylic Painting are,
- Acrylic paint
- A variety of brushes
- Painting support (canvas or gesso boards)
- Cloth rags or paper towels
How to Draw Starry Night with Oil Pastels?
Drawing the starry night with oil pastels is easy and simple. Hence, it is the best-suited technique for kids. The steps are extremely easy and mentioned hereunder,
- You need to take a light blue pastel and sketch all the lines in the swirl. Then, you will start using your dark blue pastel from over the top.
- After that, outline all the main shapes in black color. And lastly, you have to go around and draw all the stars.
- When you are planning to draw an acrylic painting, try mixing it with an epoxy material or a latex primer. You will cherish the result.
- For oil painting, try avoiding too hot temperature as it affects the painting in the long-run.
- Sketching a night sky is relatively difficult when you paint it with an oil base or an acrylic base. Hence, for kids, and oil pastel sketch will be easy and interesting.