Arguably, the best feature associated with Google Docs and all Google Drive applications, is that while you are working online, you do not have to save your work as the document will automatically save as you type.
But if you are working offline, or need to save the Doc as a different file type, you will need to follow these steps.
Set up offline access for saving Google Docs
- You will need to be working on a computer and have access to an internet connection in order to set up offline access. You will need to use Google Chrome as your web browser to accomplish this set up.
- Install the Chrome extension to your browser. This link will take you through the set up for the extension installation.
- Ensure that there is enough space on your device to save your Google Docs offline.
- Now your Google Docs account is set up for offline saving, and you will be able to save your work offline when working on a computer, apple or android device.
Save your Google Docs for Offline Use
- Now that you have set up offline access, you will need to save your docs for use offline.
- Go to Google Drive at https://drive.google.com/ and right click on the Google Docs that you would like to save for offline use. If there are more than one, press and hold the shift key while you select the chosen files.
- Once the Google Docs are selected, click “available offline” to turn on offline use. Now your Docs are set up for offline saving, and offline access on desktop, apple or android devices.
Steps for Saving a Google Doc as a Copy on a Computer
- Open the Google Doc that you would like to make a copy of. Go to the “File” tab on the toolbar in the top left corner of the screen, and select “make a copy”.
- Type in a name for the copy of the file that you are creating. The default will appear as “copy of (file name)”
- Select where you would like the copy to save, and whether or not you will want to share the copy with those who already have access to the original file.
3 Steps for Downloading a Google Doc as a Different File on a Computer
- Open the Google Doc that you would like to download
- Click the “file” tab on the top left hand corner of the screen. Select “download as” and select the type of file that you would like the Google Doc to be saved as (i.e. Microsoft Word or PDF etc.)
- The Google Doc will be converted and downloaded as the selected file type, and will be found in the “downloads” file on your computer.
3 Steps for Downloading a Google Doc on your Android Device
- Open the Google Docs app.
- Select the file that you would like to download, and hit the “more” tab. It will appear as three vertical dots.
- Hit the “download” icon. It will appear as an arrow pointing down at a horizontal line. The file will download to your phone, and you will receive a notification once your download is complete. Now you have saved a copy to your phone or tablet.
3 Steps for Making a Copy of a Google Doc on your Apple Device
- Open the Google Docs app on your apple iphone or ipad.
- Select the file that you would like to create a copy of, and hit the “more” tab. It will look like three vertical dots.
- Hit “make a copy”. The icon will look like a rectangle with another rectangle behind it.