Googles’ cloud based eco system is very quickly becoming very popular. They are more than just a search engine now. They run the most popular online, cloud based word processing applications – Google Docs. Here I will show you how to share documents on Google Docs.
- Google Docs, being cloud based does not only mean that it is easy for you to access your documents, but easier than ever to share them with others. Here you will be shown how to share your documents. The first step is to search on Google for Google Docs. Click on it. Then when given the option of personal or business, press personal. This will then prompt you to sign in to your Google account, if you already have one, do sign in. If you do not have a Google account, you will be able to create your new Google account through this screen. If you have a Google account but are having problems signing in, you can sort out any issues you may be having here.
TIP – To access Google Docs you will need Google account. It is really easy to get set up with a Google account. Search online for create Google account, this doesn’t only let you access Google Docs, or even Google Sheets – this lets you access all of Google’s applications; Gmail, Google Keep, Google Drive – everything.
- The second step sounds simple, but it may not be. Create your document. This can be a blank document or a ten thousand word essay, fully formatted on a template. This can be as simple or complex as you want to make it – what I’m showing you here is how to share your document, not make it.
- Once you have created your document – it doesn’t even have to be complete, click on the big blue share button, the one with a padlock icon on it. There are two ways you can share it this way. Either, start entering a persons name or their email address. Click on their name. You can keep adding people, there is not a limit. The other way you can share is by clicking on ‘Get a sharable link’ – this will give you a URL which you can copy and paste into an email, messaging app, or even just write down and get someone else to type in as a direct link.
TIP one – If you click on ‘Advanced settings’ it gives some interesting options. You can prevent people you are adding from adding further people so you can keep in control of who see’s the document and also who doesn’t see it. You can also select the option to not allow people you share it with to copy, download, print or comment on your document.
TIP two – On Google Docs mobile application sharing is done exactly the same – by clicking the big blue share button in the top right hand corner.
Document sharing is an excellent feature that is available through Google Docs. This is an easy way to collaborate on a document with colleagues or classmates long distance, as well as a way to leave comments or feedback on a document that you are collaborating on. All it takes are a few simple steps, and then you are ready to share access to your Google Docs with trusted collaborators.
Sharing a Google Document on your Computer
- Open your Google Drive and select the document or folder that you would like to share.
- Right click on the document or folder that you would like to share, and select the “share” icon. It will appear as a little person with a plus sign next to it.
- To select more than one document or folder from the Google Drive screen, press and hold the shift key while you select the documents or folders that you would like to share.
- You can also share the document while it is open and you are working on it. To share an open Google Doc, select the blue “share” button up in the right hand corner of the screen. It will appear with a padlock icon next to it.
- Decide how much access you would like to grant to those you have shared your documents or folder with.
- You can limit access to the files that you share. You can choose whether to let someone view, comment, or edit your shared files. If you choose view, they can only read your document or folder. The comment option allows them to leave comments, feedback or suggestions on your file. The editing option gives them the ability to write, edit or delete the contents of the file.
- You will be able to select the sharing capability when you go to share the document or folder.
- Select who you would like to share the document or folder with.
- Once you have selected the documents or folders that you would like to share, you will be prompted to enter the email address(es) of the person or people that you would like to share your file with.
- You will have the chance to add a note along with the access code that will be sent to the chosen person or persons.
- Next to the bar where you will enter the email address, there is a drop down menu that looks like a little pencil with an arrow that points down. Click that to select the sharing capability. This is where you can choose between view, comment, or edit. Remember, choosing the “edit” option allows the person that you are sharing with to completely participate in your document or folder.
- The person or people that you shared the document or folder with will then need to check their email and click on the link to the document to gain access to it.
Sharing a Google Document on your Apple or Android Device
- Follow the same steps as you would from a computer. First, select the file or folder that you would like to share.
- Regardless of whether you are using an iphone, ipad, or Android device, select the file or folder that you would like to share, and hit the “more” button. It will appear as three vertical dots.
- Open that tab, then select “add people”. This will prompt you to add the email addresses of the people that you would like to share access with.
- Remember to choose the sharing capability before you send the link for sharing the document.
How do I share Google Docs with others?
What does the Share button do on Google Docs?
When you go to share a Google Drive What color is the share button?
Why is Google docs not letting me share?
Can you share a Google site?
Can you share a Google Doc with someone without Gmail?
Can I share a Google site with non Gmail users?
Can you password protect a Google site?
How do I share a Google Doc without editing rights?
- Open the homescreen for Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Sheets, or Google Slides.
- Click Share or Share .
- At the top, click Settings .
- Uncheck Editors can change permissions and share.
- Click Done.
How do I send an invite on Google Drive?
- On your computer, go to drive.google.com.
- Click the folder you want to share.
- Click Share .
- Under “People,” type the email address or Google Group you want to share with.
- To choose how a person can use the folder, click the Down arrow .
- Click Send.
Can visitors upload to Google Drive?
What is a visitor session Gmail?
Can people without Google accounts use Google Drive?
What is a visitor session?
Do you need Google account to edit Google Docs?
How do you access Google Docs without permission?
- Open the Script Editor.
- On the Script Editor. File -> Manage Versions -> Save New Version. Publish -> Deploy as Web App. At Execute the app as, select “your account” At Who has access to the app, select “Anyone, even anonymous” Click “Deploy” Copy “Current web app URL” Click “OK”
How do I access Google Docs from Gmail?
Ads by Google