Start Twitter Account on PC and Mac on Web
- On your computer browser, navigate to the Sign Up page through https://twitter.com/signup. While on the Sign Up page, you’ll get prompts guiding you throughout the entire Sign up process. Before heading to the Sign Up page, prepare to give your name and a functional email address or phone number.
- If you choose email verification, a verification email will be sent to your email account. After that, you should be able to log in to your email and click on the verification link to get your email address verified.
- If you opted to use your mobile number, you should get your verification code through an SMS. After that, you will enter the verification code sent to your phone in the box provided. Also, you can request a verification call instead of a code.
- After that, type in your name in the “Name” text box. There is no restriction on the name that you can use. Therefore, you can use even a pseudonym or an organization name.
- Enter your phone or an email address in the provided field and then click on the “Next” button.
- In the new screen that appears, you can choose to customize your experience or skip by clicking on the “Next” button on the top-right corner. Doing so will land you to the “Create your account” page.
- Click on the blue “Sign up” button. By doing that, Twitter will send a code to your email address or phone for account confirmation.
- Enter the code received into the required field and click on the “ Next” button located on the upper-left corner.
- Next, enter your password in the provided field and click on the “Next” button located on the top-right corner of the page. The password must contain at last six digits, an alphabet, a number, and a unique character. Ensure you create a strong password to keep your account safe.
- With that done, you’ll be prompted to add a profile photo. To do so, click on the empty profile avatar and select a picture to add from your computer. To add a profile photo, follow the steps below.
- Click on your empty profile avatar. Doing so will take you to your computer folders from which you can choose the best photo for your profile.
- After that, When you get the photo that you want to upload, click on it and then click on the open. Doing so will prompt your photo to be uploaded to your Twitter profile.
- Click on the “Save” button when done.
Note: The image should be a maximum of 2mbs in size, and 400 x 400px. Also, it should be in PNG, JPEG, or GIF. In addition to that, you should upload your real photo or a brand photo if you’re creating an account for business.
If you prefer adding a photograph later, click on the “Skip” to go to the next step.
- With that done, click on the “Next” to navigate to the bio section.
- Optimize your bio section. If you’re aiming at boosting your company and make it stand in a pool of competitors, you have to focus your efforts here. Emphasize the value of your company and what makes it better than the competitors. Finally, remember to include links for your potential clients to follow you and also access the company’s website. And that’s pretty much of it.
If you prefer adding your bio later, you can click on the “Skip for now” and proceed to the next step.
- After that, you can import your contacts to find friends and see what they’re following. If not ready for that, you can click on the “Not now” option o do that later.
- Enter your interests to tell help Twitter to suggest some accounts that you should follow. From the categories displayed, you can click on the options that you prefer. When through with that, click on the “Next” next button located on the upper-right corner of the page.
- You can also follow other relevant accounts that you fill are useful in addition to the ones recommended by Twitter. By following some accounts gives you a better beginning on Twitter. As such, you can always get tweets from the accounts you’re following. Up to this point, you should have a functional Twitter account.
- After signing in, you can now proceed to reset your username. The username is what distinguishes your account from others. It must be less than 15 characters and unique. And it should not include certain words such as admin or Twitter. It’s also worth mentioning that this name is changeable. You can change it at any appropriate time.
If you’d wish to change your username, the following steps are handy.
Head to your Twitter account menu located on the left pane.
Click on the “More” option.
With that done, click on the “Settings and Privacy”
After that, tap on the “Username” located on the right panel under the “Login and security”
Edit your username and then click on the “Save”. You can use a unique username or select from the suggestion. After that, your new username will reflect after a while.
With all the above procedures followed successfully, your Twitter account should be ready. Sounds great? Well, you can go ahead and compose your first tweet.
Start a Twitter Account on Twitter for Android and iPhone
Locate the Twitter app icon on your home screen or in the app drawer and tap on it. If you don’t have it, you can download and install it from the Google Play Store for android or Download and install the latest Twitter version for iPhone before proceeding. However, the steps for Twitter Android and iPhone are pretty similar.
When the app opens, tap on the “ Create account” option.
Next, type in your name in the “Name” field, followed by the phone number or email in the next area. You can type up to 50 characters in the name field. However, it’s recommended that you choose a short name that is easy to follow.
When done, tap on the blue “Next” button located at the lower-right corner of the screen. Doing so will take you to the “Customize your experience” window from where you can allow twitter to track your web activities to improve the experience for you.
With that done, tap on the “Next” button at the bottom right. By doing that, you’ll get to the “Create your account” window.
Confirm your name and phone number or email and then hit on the blue “ Sign up” button on the lower part of the screen. By doing that, you’ll get a prompt to edit your phone or email or verify the details.
Check on the phone or email and hit “Ok” if it’s correct. With that done, a verification code will be sent to your phone if you signed up with a phone number.
Retrieve the verification code sent to your phone and enter it in the provided field. After that, tap on the “Next” button at the bottom-left pane.
With that done, create your password. It should be at least six characters and must contain at least a digit and alphabets or a unique character or symbol.
Next, add your profile picture if it’s a personal account. And if it’s for a brand, add a brand photo or a logo. When done, tap on the “Apply” link at the top-right corner. This takes you to the “Pick a profile picture” window with your photo added in a circular icon in the middle.
Tap on the “Next” button or, you can skip this step by tapping on the “Skip for now” to get to the next step.
In the “Describe yourself section”, craft your bio. This is one of the essential parts of your Twitter profile. Try to make it as appealing as possible. If you aren’t ready to work on it at the moment, you can click on the blue “Skip for now” button to go to the next step.
With that done, you can now tap on the “sync contacts” button to import your contacts to Twitter. If not interested in that, tap on the “Not now” option below the “Sync contacts” option.
Select your interests and then click on the “Next” button. If you’d prefer to select your interests later, tap on the “Skip for now” to navigate to the next step.
Follow some Twitter account either from the suggestions or by searching for the names manually and adding them. Your account is now ready, and you can compose and post your first tweet. Voila!