As the myth goes, cat and water don’t mix. However, this can be disapproved using the principles of psychology, gaining the trust of the kitten, and refusing to give up. A kitten is well-equipped to handle their own hair care requirements. However, if she gets into something smelly or sticky, you might have to give her a bath. Take a look at the tips to start bathing your kitten with maximum efficiency.
- Choose the Right Time
Choosing the right time to bathe your kitten is one of the most important aspects.
- You need to opt for a time when the cat is most mellow.
- For this, you can arrange for a play session with some toys like a cat dancer. This can get even the friskiest felines tired.
- Prep the Kitten for a Bath
To do this, you will have to invade her space.
- As you pet the cat, you can murmur words of love, gently massage inside the mouth, and run fingers over the teeth.
- Pet her tummy and hold her by keeping your arm in between your legs.
- Give her treats of she complies.
- Get all the equipment required and set up the stage for bathing. You are going to need bath towels, cat shampoo, washcloth, and her favorite treats.
- The best bathing location is the bathroom.
- Get Help
At times, you can take help from a second person.
- In case the kitten is posing any problem and is having issues adjusting then you can get help from a second person.
- Make sure that the person is ready to scruff her when she panics or trying to claw its way out.
Wet her feet – the first step that you need to take is wet her feet.
- Make the kitten stand in water so that the paws are submerged in water.
- Pet and also praise her. Offer her with some treats when she has stood there for some time without posing any tantrum.
- Wrap her up in a bathing towel and giver her many kisses.
- In case she struggles don’t offer her any kind of treats and try the next day. Moving on to the next step without completing this might be a mistake.
- Rub Her Down
When you repeat the first step, you have to get the washcloth wet and provide a rub down.
- Make sure that you don’t use soap at this juncture.
- The kitten needs to enjoy when she is being scratched all over.
- It is necessary to maintain eye contact. When she does this, correct her gently in case she tries to get away.
- Dry her up using the bathing towels and give kisses.
- Don’t move on to the next step without completing this.
- Rain on the Parade
Prior to the washcloth rub down, you need to follow some steps.
- Take water and pour it all over her so that she gets soaked thoroughly.
- As you wet the head, you will have to lift up her chin using your finger so that water doesn’t run into her eyes.
- Dry her up using the bathing towels and cuddle her with kisses.
- In case you find her struggling, don’t give treats and avoid stepping into the next step. Try it again the next day.
- Soap Her
Prior to beginning this step, flip open the top of the shampoo bottle and place it within the reach of the kitten.
- Put a small quantity of soap in the wet coat and then spread it around. Make sure that it doesn’t get into her eyes.
- Take a washcloth for wiping the soap off its head and rinse cloth as per requirement.
- Pour water to rinse off the remaining part of the body. As the kitten has gotten used water, you will not have much problem with this step.
- You shouldn’t rush but leaving the kitten soaked in water for a long time is also not right. The whole process of wetting, scrubbing, and rinsing should take around 5 minutes.
- Dry her up using one bathing towel.
- Wrap her up and then give her kisses to cuddle her.
- Again, in case she struggles don’t give treats and repeat the step on the next day.
- Final Tips to Success
There are a few things that you need to consider in order to be successful with bathing the kitten.
- It is necessary to make sure that water you are using for bathing the kitten is warm enough.
- Keep all the necessary supplies ready and in their places to start with the process of bathing.
- It is important to maintain a calm demeanor. This will help the cat to relax and be less afraid.
- You need to speak in a soft tone to the kitten. Thus, the experience is going to be a positive one.
- The words like you are beautiful and you love her can easily be understood by the kitten.
- It is necessary to bathe the kitten on a regular basis.
- Make sure that you use soap every time. This will keep the skin from drying out.
- Trim the claws for preventing any kind of accident.
Clean out the ears of the kitten using ear-cleaning wipe which is particularly made for pets.
At what age can you bathe a kitten?
Can you put kittens in the bath?
What is safe to bathe a kitten with?
Be sure to use a cat shampoo that explicitly says it’s kitten-friendly. Don’t use a human or dog shampoo; the detergents could dry out the kitten’s skin. Opt for an unscented brand. Unscented dish soap is also a safe and easy option—it’s gentle and inexpensive.