In this guide, you will learn how to choose custom icon for the folder and files. Icon is a small picture that represent the folder or file.
Change icon in Mac
Follow the following steps to change icon in Mac
First of all, download the icon from the web. There are many websites available that provide icons for Mac like IconFinder. Once you save an icon in Mac, move to the next step.
If the file you downloaded is a folder or a file with an icon applied to it, right-click on it and select Get info from the menu. A window will open containing the information about that folder or file. Copy the icon by clicking on its icon image located next to the name of the file/folder and press Command + C. If the file you downloaded is an image, then the process is little different. Open the image in preview or in any other app that can preview images. Press Command + A to select the whole image and then press Command + C to copy it.
Now, right-click the drive or folder which you want to personalize.
Select Get info.
Click on the thumbnail icon to select it.
Once, the thumbnail is selected, press Command + V or paste the image you copied in the step 2.
Done! The copied image will be applied to this folder/file. Repeat the same process for all the files, folders or drives which you want to personalize.
Change Mac icon with ICNS icon
ICNS is a special format of icons supported by Mac. You can download ICNS files from the internet and store them in the Mac. They require little different method to apply them on a file, drive or folder. Let’s move towards the steps.
- Right-Click the folder, drive or file which you want to personalize and change its icon. From the menu list. Click on Get info. A window will open showing the details such as name, size, time of creation etc. From the upper left corner of this window, click on the thumbnail to select it.
- Keep the Get info window opened and thumbnail selected, open the downloaded ICNS file. It contains several folders, but you need to open the folder named Mac. In this Mac folder, there are icon files with extension .ICNS.
- Just drag the icon file to the Get info window and place it on the thumbnail. The thumbnail will be replaced by the new icon which you dropped on it.
Restore default icon on Mac
To restore the original or default icon of the folder, follow the steps below.
Right-click the folder and select Get info from the menu list.
From the Get info window select the custom icon located at the upper left corner of the window.
Choose Edit then choose Cut.
Done! The default icon will be applied to this folder.
Change Mail Dock icon in Mac
The dock icons of the system apps are locked and cannot be changed like the other folders. Follow the instructions below in order to change the Dock icon of the mail app.
- Right-click on the Mail app from the Dock and select Options.
- From the options, click on Show in Finder.
- Finder window will open with the Mail app already highlighted.
- With the Mail app highlighted in the Finder window, click on File from the menu bar located at the top left.
- From the File menu, select Get info.
Note: You can press Command + I button to open Get info window of the selected item.
- From the Get info window, expand Sharing & Permissions.
- Click on the small Lock icon located at the bottom right corner of the window.
- You will be asked to provide administrator password, so, give it and move next.
- Make sure that the Read & Write is selected for everyone.
- Now, Copy the icon which you want to apply to the Mail Dock icon and return to the Get info window of Mail app.
- Select the icon of the mail app and press Command + V. Done! The icon of the mail app has been successfully changed, click the lock icon.
How to restore dock app icon
To restore the icon, open Get info window of the app and make sure that Read & Write is selected for everyone. Click on the icon of the app located at the upper left of the Get info window. Choose Edit and then choose Cut. The default icon will be applied to it.
Choose Dark mode in Mac
Dark mode changes the Mac theme and colours to dark and hence they are less harmful for the eyes.
Click on Apple icon from the top menu bar.
Now, select the Dark in the Appearance section.
Note: The auto mode is a facility that detect the time of the day changes theme automatically, i:e light mode in the day and dark mode in night.
Change Mac lock Screen Wallpaper
If you want to replace the lock screen image of your Mac with your choice, perform the steps below, assuming that the image is already downloaded and it has PNG format.
- Open the image with Preview App.
- Double click on the name of the picture from the top of the Preview app and rename it to com.apple.desktop.admin.
- Open finder from the Dock at the Bottom of your screen.
- From the menu bar at the top, click on Go.
- Select Go to Folder.
- A pop-up window will open, type /Library/Caches here and click on Go.
- The entered folder will open, now, you need to drag and drop the image to this folder. So, when the image which you renamed in the step 2 is copied here, it will ask that there is already a file with the same name, click on Replace to over write the file.
- Done! On next login, your Lock screen wallpaper will be changed.
How do I change desktop icons on Mac?
How can I change desktop icons?
Why can’t I change my folder icons Mac?
How do I change my folder icon?
Right click on the folder and select the “properties” option. Click on the “customize” tab. Scroll down to the folder icon section at the bottom and select “Change Icon.” Choose a different pre-installed icon OR upload an icon of your choosing.
How do I reset my folder icon on Mac?
How do I change the app icon?
How do I customize my iPhone icons?
How do I change my default icons?
How do I make custom icons?
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone (it’s already preinstalled). Tap the plus icon in the top right corner.
- In the search bar, type Open app and select the Open App app. Tap Choose and select the app you want to customize.
- Where it says Home Screen Name and Icon, rename the shortcut to anything you’d like.
How do I change Control Panel icons?
- Open your “Desktop Icon Settings.”
- Press the “Search” tab and enter “desktop icon” in the box.
- Hit “Show or hide common icons on the desktop.”
- Select a modified desktop icon and press “Restore Default.”
- Hit the “OK” button to apply the changes.
How do I install icons?
Where do I put downloaded icons?
- Open the Registry Editor app.
- Go to the following Registry key.
- On the right, double-click on the default (unnamed) string parameter.
- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in to your user account.
How do I download and use icons?
How do I create a custom shortcut icon?
- A small window pops up asking you what you want to do with the downloaded file. Choose to “Save” it. (Do NOT choose to “Open” it.) After you have made that choice, your browser may ask you where to save the icon or it may save it to a predefined folder.
- The file is automatically downloaded to a predefined location.
Ads by Google