Your username on TikTok is a reflection of your identity. Some followers will search for it individually as your influence rises, which means you need something fun, catchy, and positive.
If your current username doesn’t seem to make the grade, then knowing how to change it on TikTok can help you to get the results you want.
There’s only one catch to knowing how to change a username on TikTok. If someone is already using the one you want, then you can’t duplicate it. Your username must be 100% unique.
Steps to Follow When Changing Your Username on TikTok
It is not unusual for long-time users of TikTok to grow tired of their original username. If you don’t like what you picked before, then you can change it through your account settings by following a few simple steps.
- Get into the TikTok app
If you need to boot up your phone or tablet, then do so. Then tap on the musical note that serves as the TikTok icon from your home screen (iOS) or app drawer (Android).
- Log into your TikTok account
Most users automatically sign in to their TikTok account after they tap the app’s icon to open it. If you need to log into it, then you will receive a prompt to do so before you have the opportunity to change your username.
- Choose your profile icon
The profile icon on TikTok is found on the far right-hand corner at the bottom of the screen. It is the one that looks like a person, and it says Me underneath it. You will want to tap on it and then choose Edit Profile to continue the process of changing your username.
- Select the username in your profile
You’ll find the username option beneath the choices to change your profile photo or video. Scroll down, if necessary, past your real name, and it will be above the place to add a bio to your profile. Tapping on it will give you access to the screen where you can make the desired alterations.
- Delete your old username
You will want to remove your previous username before inputting a new one on TikTok.
- Choose your new username
Your TikTok profile is now ready for you to select your new username. It must be something original that no one else is using on the platform at that moment.
The new username on TikTok must contain only letters, numbers, underscores, or periods. You will receive a warning note on your screen if you try to use any special characters with this update.
- Tap the Save button
Once you have entered the new username that you want to have on TikTok, then tap on the Save button at the top right of the screen. If you changed your mind and don’t want to make the switch now, then you can select the Cancel command at the top left instead.
Did you receive a warning after saving your username?
- If someone is already using that username on TikTok, then the app will not proceed until you choose something that is 100% original. You will receive a notification at the top of your Edit Profile page after tapping on the Save link.
- When this situation occurs, you have no choice but to go back to the Username section to try again.
- You can decide to keep your original username at this point since the update didn’t take place.
What If I Want to Change My Username Again Before 30 Days Expire?
The goal of limiting users to one username change every 30 days is to prevent spammers or cyberbullies from influencing the platform.
Some TikTok users report that if they change the date and time on their mobile device to be 30 days in the future, then the app gives them the ability to switch their username again.
- You would need to go into the Settings screen on your mobile device. Then select General before choosing Date and Time.
- If your device has a feature that sets the date and time automatically, then you must disable it to follow this process.
- Make sure that you save the update so that your phone thinks it is 30 days in the future.
- You could then open the TikTok app to see if you have the option to change your username again.
This method could be considered a violation of the app’s terms of service, so proceed at your own risk.
Are You Ready to Change Your Username on TikTok?
Before you implement the steps listed in this guide, it is essential to remember the terms and conditions of TikTok. The app allows you to change your username only once every 30 days.
If someone else is using the name you want, then you will be out of luck. Once you switch your username, another user can also take the old one from you.
Since the username is on every video you make, it helps to take some time to think about your choice. Then you can settle on something reflective of your personality and creativity.
How do I change my name on TikTok?
- Step 1: Tap the profile icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Step 2: Tap “Edit Profile.”
- Step 3: Tap your current username.
- Step 4: Tap “Got it” on the pop-up that appears.
- Step 5: Type your desired username and tap “Save” in the top-right corner of the screen to save your changes.
How do I change my TikTok name before 30 days?
Why is my TikTok username invalid?
Why is TikTok not working 2020?
How do you know if your TikTok is banned?
Should you like your own Tiktoks?
How do I get out of Shadowban on TikTok?
How do I get rid of Shadowban?
- Stop Any Activity That Goes Against Terms of Service.
- Revoke Permissions For Any Unapproved Third-Party Apps.
- Avoid Using Banned or Restricted Hashtags.
- Reach Out to Instagram Support.
- Don’t Act Like a Bot.
- Avoid Getting Reported.
- Take a Break From Instagram.