It is not easy to understand how to do this simple thing of cleaning your tongue. And, by brushing most of the bacteria and germs are not yet gone away, so a lot more has to be done with it. To have a better way to clean your tongue, let us go through these simple steps right now. These are visit a dentist and safe to practice.
- Check your Tongue First
Even before starting with a pair of tongue cleaners, you must check your tongue first. There are patches of bumps or services across anywhere on the surface and it isn’t smooth. This means you have to get it cleaned with a scrapper. But, do not worry about it now. Usually, the bacteria that live in your mouth form a layer over the tongue and you can easily see it.
- The tongue should always be pink.
If you notice any discoloration, take a note and get it remedied. The tongue coating can be treated easily while brushing, after brushing more specifically, every morning and at night. If there is a pain, visit your dentist immediately.
- Try to Find Online the Benefits of Doing it
- Before starting a daily ritual it always helps to understand the need to spend those five minutes of your life. If you are not sure why to clean your tongue even after brushing and flossing your teeth, look online.
- There forms a tissue over the tongue that can harbor bacteria. By cleaning it every day, you help break it down and avoid building up of these germs.
- These bacteria also contribute to tooth decay eventually and bad breath. So, if you were worried about bad breath even after brushing properly, this could be another reason.
- Poor oral health is attributed to half to tongue cleaning and a half to your teeth. Of course, it improves your sense of taste too.
- Which Style of Tool?
The next big question is to choose between the styles of tool you need. The one that is suitable for your mouth and comfortable for you to use. There are different types of tongue cleaning tools in the market and you can start with the basics first.
- The “tongue cleaners” are the most common tools being used for a long time. They have soft edges that are used to pull along the length of the tongue.
- Similar to them you shall find the “tongue brushes” which have recently appeared in the market. They do a brushing style of thing instead of pulling and removing a layer and very less effective. At times you shall find a toothbrush combine the tongue brushing part as well.
- Scraping is Often the Best
Research has shown that allowing scraping your tongue with a tongue cleaner and tongues brushing are equally effective when you do it properly.
TIP: make it soft and not strong
The end result would be a pink looking tongue and a clean mouth. They both help to reduce the plaque effectively. Not to mention that some combination of scrapper and bushes are also available so that you can pull and maybe brush. It all is up to you and based on what you would feel more comfortable doing.
A separate tool would be more effective in the sense that those brushed-cleaners combined. But, don’t forget to inspect your tongue after the cleaning process and if required repeat at the regions you still find not properly cleaned.
- Ask Question to your Dentist
Whenever you go for your next appointment, ask them questions about your dental health and what you should do or not? Participate in the process can get to know if you are doing everything properly.
Use Scrappers clean tongue
To clean tongue, scrappers are more effective than toothbrushes. Follow the steps below to learn how to use scrappers for tongue cleaning.
- You can purchase scrappers from Amazon Store.
- Try to select scrapper with smooth edges. It will avoid your tongue from being hurt by the sharp edges or material of the scrapper.
- When you have scrapper ready, get your tongue out of the mouth, place the scrapper at the back of your tongue.
- Apply pressure on the scrapper, so that it can wipe out the germs layer on tongue.
- While the pressure is applied, move the scrapper towards the front of the tongue.
- Clean the scrapper with warm water. It is very important to keep scrapper save from external pollutants.
- If you have saliva came out during this process, spit it.
- Now, repeat the process 2 to 5 times and make sure your tongue has a pure look.
- Wash the scrapper with warm water and store it at clean place for the next use.
Note: Scraping tongue be recommend 1-2 times a day. Doing it beyond the limits can cause medical conditions on tongue.
Use toothbrush to clean tongue
Cleaning tongue with the help of toothbrush is not much effective as the scrapper is, but it is easy, because, you can perform this action along brushing your teethes. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Pull your tongue out of the mouth.
- Place the brush at the back of your tongue.
Note: Try to pick a soft toothbrush.
- Move the brush forward and backward. Do it slightly, not too hard.
- Spit the saliva, which may came during this process.
- Repeat the process 2-4 times.
Note: You can repeat this process always, whenever you uses to brush your teethes. However, performing it once or twice a day is good practice. But going beyond limits can injur your tongue.
Oral method to clean tongue
It is very good practice to rinse your mouth along with brushing your teethes. You can also ask your doctor or dentist, to prescribe one for you. Rinsing mouth with mouthwashes will destroy bacteria and gives you a fresh breath.
Clean tongue with teaspoon
If no scrapper is available, and you don’t want to use toothbrush on your tongue, a kitchen’s component teaspoon can fulfill your need. To clean your tongue using spoon, use it upside down
Pull out your tongue and place teaspoon at the end of the tongue. Now, move the teaspoon forward and backward while applying pressure on it.
Apple cider vinegar for tongue
It is very healthy habit to take tablespoon of apple cider vinegar especially before meal. It maintains pH levels of the body and gives you a fresh breath.
Fennel seeds and lemon for tongue cleaning
Chewing fennel seeds eliminates bacteria which can cause smelly breath. The most easy way to keep your tongue clean is to use lemons. Put a teaspoon of lemon juice in one cup of water. Now, rinse your mouth with this mixture.
In additions to these, make sure that you have proper production of saliva within the mouth, because it contains antibacterial compounds.
In howto.org we never suggest any cure. Please, consult with your dentist if the pain persist.
How do I get rid of plaque on my tongue?
This symptom often clears up on its own. You may be able to remove the white coating from your tongue by gently brushing it with a soft toothbrush. Or softly run a tongue scraper across your tongue. Drinking lots of water can also help flush bacteria and debris out of your mouth.
Are you supposed to clean your tongue?
What is the stuff you scrape off your tongue?
Do you clean your tongue before or after brushing your teeth?
What does a healthy tongue look like?
Does mouthwash clean your tongue?
What foods clean your tongue?
What happens if you don’t brush your tongue?
What can you use instead of a tongue scraper?
How do you fix white tongue?
What home remedy can I use to clean my tongue?
- Your tongue also needs to be brushed.
- A healthy diet goes a long way.
- Staying hydrated is key.
- Smoking is very harmful to the tongue.
- Visiting your dentist every six months is highly recommended.
What does a dehydrated tongue look like?
Adding food-grade baking soda to a toothbrush and scrubbing the tongue, teeth, and gums may help reduce the bacteria that cause a white tongue. One study found that baking soda kills harmful bacteria that commonly cause infections in the mouth, such as Streptococcus and Candida.