Dehydrating bananas is actually a very versatile and easy process. Crispy or sticky, greasy or healthy, wedges, fruit leather, or wedges – you can actually make all types of snacks by using only about the available heat source. It might not be easily possible to be tired of such flavor, but in case there are some instructions for adding savory spices or sweet as well.
- Preheat the Oven
Preheating your oven will help you in saving your invaluable time.
- This will, in general, remain between 130 degrees to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A temperature which is a bit higher actually risks the scorching outside.
- But will not dry it from inside.
- Slice and Peel the Bananas
For making the chips, slice the available bananas into rounds of 0.6 cm. to make the wedges, chop banana (lengthwise), and again lengthwise, and then slice it into the desired length.
- For some extra crispy chips, just slice the available bananas into rounds if 1/8 inch in place of 0.3 cm. this may become easier by a mandolin.
- In case the bananas are a bit mushy and have become difficult to slice, then chill it in the fridge for around 8 minutes so as to firm it up.
- You will not even require a knife for making the wedges, just use your fingers at the end of banana (peeled) and it should be divided into 3 even segments. It does not even matter if the banana is broken in this process. You will require it in lengths which are small.
- For a big quantity of bananas, soaking them in the juice of a lemon for some minutes immediately before you slice it will save your time, but also the surplus moisture will add extra time to the stage of baking.
- Dip Pieces in the Juice of a Lemon
This will also add vitamins and flavor, but the primary purpose is to avoid the bananas from getting brown.
- If you usually don’t mind the chips (brown), then you can skip it.
- Brushing properly the juice on both sides of banana can also work.
- Juice of pineapple, juice of a lime, or any type of juice which is acidic in nature will also work. You can also use tablets of Vitamin C which is crushed in water.
- If you do not like juice’s flavor, then just dilute it in a ratio of 1:4 with some water and then soak the bananas for some 4 minutes.
- Place Bananas on a Rack of Wire
This raised platform of wire will expose each and every side of banana to air. And it will allow an excess of moisture to drip into it. Also, prepare a sheet of cookie to place under it.
- The available bananas ideally are in one layer, and should not be stacked over one another. It would be fine if their edges will touch each other.
- If you do not have a rack of wire, cover a sheet of cookie with paper of parchment. This method will be a bit less effective for the removal of moisture.
- You can reduce the time taken in the above method by leaving the door of the oven slightly open to allow the moisture to evade.
- A fan (electric) which is kept very next to the door of the oven will also help in the circulation of air.
- Add Additional Flavor
Add some extra flavor if it is desired.
- A sprinkle of kosher salt or even sea salt will add a great flavor of savory.
- This will become perfect for eating and that so its own.
- But don’t add too much of flavor.
- Air fryer
One of another method to dehydrate a banana is using the air fryer. Air fryer works better than dehydrating the banana in the microwave oven.
- First you need to preheat your air fryer at 200 degree Celsius.
- Now slice up your bananas and pat them down with a tissue paper to remove any extra moisture layer on top of the bananas.
- Line the slices in the tray and fry them for 20 minutes. Keep shaking them in between so that they don’t stick.
- Take them out and cool on the rack.
- Parchment Paper and Dehydrator
Another effective way to dehydrate your bananas are using parchment paper. All you need is peeled bananas, wooden plank and dehydrator.
- Peel off bananas and keep it as it is on the parchment paper.
- Press down the bananas with a wooden plank covered with parchment paper, this will spread the bananas evenly.
- Put the parchment papers with bananas on it, in the dehydrator rack and set its timing and temperature.
- When is done, let it cool and sprinkle some kosher salt on it.
- The wedges can take up some time to dry i.e. almost 12 hours.
- Begin preparing the wedges in the morning so that you do not have to take risk beginning a fire overnight. And keep in mind that chips will dry very quickly.
- Don’t dehydrate the bananas very much otherwise it will lose its original taste.
- While you are dehydrating the bananas, don’t allow them to be overcooked it the oven.