Google Drive offers a large amount of free storage for your documents, photos, videos and other files.
But even though you have up to 15 GB to use, eventually it will become full and you will have to delete some files to keep using Google Drive to store your files and documentsHere is how to delete files from your Google Drive from any device:
How to Delete Files from Google Drive on a Computer
- You can remove a file from your Google Drive by putting it into your trash. It will still remain on your computer and you will be able to access it until you empty your trash bin.
- If it is a shared file and you don’t own it, it will only be removed from your Drive if you place it in the trash.
- If you are accessing your Google Drive on the web, you can click the file that you would like to delete, and select the “remove” option. The icon for the “remove” option looks like a trashcan.
- Your files are now deleted from your Google Drive, and you should see more space open up on your storage bar. Your storage bar can be viewed on your Google Drive at the bottom of the tool bar at the left hand side of your screen.
How to Delete Files from Google Drive on an Apple Device
- Just like on a computer, you can move your files to the trashcan on your iPhone, iPad or other apple device.
- To do this, open your Google Drive app. It looks like a yellow, green and blue triangle.
- Next to the file that you would like to delete, you should see three dots stacked vertically. This opens the “more” tab. Tap those three dots.
- At the bottom of the “more” tab, you will see an option labeled “remove”. Select that option to move your file to the trash.
- To permanantly delete the file from your Drive on your Apple device, open the trash by tapping the “menu” tab and selecting “trash”
- In the top right side of your screen, select “more” and then “delete forever” to delete a single file, or delete all files in your trash can by selecting “empty trash”.
How to Delete Files from Google Drive on an Android Device
- To delete a file from your Google Drive on your Android device, open the Google Drive app by tapping the yellow, green and blue triangle.
- Find the icon that looks like a folder at the bottom right of your screen. It should be labeled “files”.
- Next to the file that you want to delete, find the “more” tab which looks like three vertical dots. Tap the dots to open more options, and select “remove”. This will move the file from your Google Drive to your trash.
- To permanently delete the file, open the “menu” in the upper left corner of your screen. It looks like three horizontal lines.
- From the “menu” select “trash”, then select the file that you would like to permanently delete.
- Open the “more” tab for that file by tapping the three vertical dots, and then tap “delete forever” to permanently get rid of your file.