Delete Programs Using Finder
- Navigate to the “Finder “application and locate the app that you want to delete. Most of your Mac computer programs are found in the Applications folder located in the Finder window, and you can open the by clicking on the Application in the sidebar.
- Click to open the “Application” folder located on the left side of your Finder window
- Scroll down the programs to find the icon of your target programs.
- If the program is located within a folder, double-click to open the folder and then look for an uninstaller tool. If you find an uninstaller application, then you should skip the next step.
- Click once on the program’s icon to select it.
- On the upper-left corner of the screen, locate and click the “File” to open a dropdown menu
- Select the “Move to Trash” near the bottom of the displayed menu. Alternatively, you can use your computer’s keyboard shortcut by pressing on ⌘ Command+Delete to transfer the program to trash.
- Locate the trash icon in the Mac’s Dock and then click and hold for a second. By doing that, you’ll see a pop-up menu above the trash icon
- Click on the “Empty Trash” option on in the pop-up menu to delete the files contained in the trash, including the program you sent.
Follow the procedure above to get rid of the junk programs that you no longer need on your computer.
Delete Programs Using Launchpad
- Locate and click on the Launchpad icon located in Mac’s Dock, and a list of your currently running programs will display. Alternatively, you can also find and open the Launchpad from the “Control Strip” at the right side of the “Touch Bar” And then scroll left or right of the screen to find your target app to uninstall.
- Click and hold on the app and stop when it starts shaking. And then, click on this X symbol on the top-left corner of your app’s icon. If you don’t see this X symbol floating when the app shakes, then you didn’t install the app from the App Store. And therefore, you can’t uninstall the app.
- Click on “Delete” when prompted and get the program uninstalled. And that’s it.
Delete Programs Using Uninstaller
- Click on Finder App to launch it and head to “Application.”
- Open “Applications” on the left of the Finder window
- Double click on the “Application” folder to open it and find the uninstaller app inside it. If the uninstaller app is missing, you needn’t worry. All you should do is to select and delete the folder using either of the already discussed methods. If the uninstaller exists, proceed to the next step.
- Double-click on the uninstaller application. By doing that, it will open a new window.
- Follow the on-screen prompt to uninstall the program. Since each program may have a different uninstallation criterion, it would be essential to follow the on-screen prompt to uninstall them.
Delete Programs Using Library Folder
- Open the Finder app using Spotlight Search and click on “Go” from your menu bar.
- Scroll down the menu and click on “Go to Folder” or press on Shift+Cmd+G and a list of folders will appear on the screen.
- From finder, you can select and delete the following apps from their roots
- How to delete app crashes : >Library>Application Support>CrashReporter
- How to delete Library: >Library
- How to delete App saved states: >Library>Saved Application State
- How to delete support caches: >Library>Caches> and >Library>Caches
- How to delete binary and dock icons: >Applications
- How to delete plugins: >Library>Address Book Plug-Ins
- How to delete application support files: >Library>Application
- How to delete app preferences: >Library>Preferences
Note: When uninstalling programs from your Mac computer, you should be very careful not to uninstall system programs. If that happens, you cannot re-install the programs unless you re-install the OS again. Also, when some system files are missing, your computer’s functionality might get compromised.
Delete Programs Using Third Party Applications (App Cleaner)
- Download and install App cleaner to your Mac computer. This app identifies all the files associated with the deleted program and deletes them in one folder. It has both the free as well as paid versions. However, for a free version, you can only view the files, but you cannot use the app to delete them.
- Click on the App Cleaner icon to open it.
- Once open, you can type the name of the programs that you want to be deleted in the search field at the lower part of the app list.
- Click to mark the box next to the application awaiting deletion. You can check for other apps and mark them too. But, they’ll be deleted at the end of the procedure.
- Click on remove to delete all the selected applications and their associated files.
If you’re looking for an alternative free version to the paid App Cleaner, you can try this free AppCleaner yet with a similar name to the other paid one. Though the latter may not be as useful as the premium one.
How do I uninstall a program?
- In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and select it from the results.
- Select Programs > Programs and Features.
- Press and hold (or right-click) on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.