A mattress has to be cleaned and disinfected from time to time. Particles and dust land on your mattress and you are unable to see them. These days, many people suffer from allergies and asthma. Hence, it becomes imperative to make sure that the mattress doesn’t cause any kind of harm to you or to anyone else. Pet dander, dust, mites, and mold can cause health problems.
Here is the step by step process to clean your mattress.
- Steam Cleaning
Dust mites are actually little critters which you cannot see with a naked eye. However, it will definitely lead to runny noses and itchy eyes. If you have to fight this nasty allergen along with the mattress enemies, you need to treat it with heat. However, you are going to require some help in order to lift and remove the mattress while cleaning.
- Get rid of as much dander and topical dust as you can. You can do this with the help of vacuum and crevice tools. This way you will be able to get every corner of the mattress.
- Take a hand-held or a garment steamer to make sure that every inch of the mattress is getting an even burst of steam. However, do not use a constant burst of steam as it is going to soak up the mattress.
- Allow the mattress to dry up before sleeping on it. Turn on the fan and ventilate the room to speed up the drying process.
- Use Antibacterial Spray
These are exactly what the name suggests. It has been designed for removing and keeping out harmful bacteria. If you are using a liquid cleaner then make sure that you are reading the instructions carefully. Put the liquid in a spray bottle.
- Spray the disinfectant lightly across the mattress surface. This should include the top, bottom, and the sides.
- Dip a rag in lukewarm water and ring it. Now, use it to wipe the surface of the mattress.
- Allow the mattress to dry before you set it up.
- Use Vodka
Vodka is known to be a great disinfectant. Apart from working on your mattress, it also works on your skin. However, you do not have to spend money to buy the most expensive one. This is because all is going to work the same. Vacuum the mattress before spraying it.
- Put the vodka in a spray bottle. Spray it over the mattress without even soaking it.
- When you are done spraying, let the mattress to dry out completely prior to using it.
- Add Baking Soda
Baking soda is a great agent which has numerous uses. This can also be used to clean and sanitize your mattress.
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the top of the mattress.
- Allow it to absorb the odor and also freshen up your mattress. Leave it for few minutes.
- Vacuum it before to use it again to make the bed.
- Air Out the Mattress
Fresh air and sunlight work great when it comes to cleaning and sanitizing the mattress.
- Wait for a bright and clear sunny day. Take out your mattress to air out for some time.
- If you are unable to get the mattress outside then just stand up close to a sunny window. This way it is going to air out a bit.
- Use Mattress Protector
A mattress cover is a great option.
- Use a mattress cover for your mattress.
- This way when the cover gets dirty, you can simply throw it in the washer than working hard to sanitize the mattress.
- However, make sure that you use waterproof mattress protector which will provide protection from odors, spills, and also bacteria.
- Spray Dish Detergent Mix
Clean the mattress with a mix of water and dish cleaning detergent.
- Make a mixture of detergent and water with a ratio of 1:1. Allow it to sit for some time before you scrub it thoroughly.
- Repeat the process if you have to remove stains, too. Nevertheless, do not let the mattress get to wet as it might spoil your mattress.
- Use Enzyme Cleaner
You can use an enzyme cleaner on a clean cloth and blot any stains using the cloth. Allow the enzyme to set for 15 minutes. Now, use a clean cloth dampened with water to blot the same area.
- Avoid spraying the cleaner directly on the mattress. The mattress has not been designed for getting wet, particularly memory foam. Hence, you should use a cleaner which can easily treat stains.
- These cleaners are going to break the protein of the stains from sweat, urine, and vomit. You can also use it to treat oil stains and grease.
- Use a Mattress Pad
You can invest money on a pad and place it over the mattress.
- Place the pad under the bedsheet. This will act as an additional barrier between the mattress and you.
- When you want, you can remove it and get it laundered.
- In case you have children, you need to use mattresses that are water resistant for those nights when they are going to urinate on it.
- Use a Vacuum Cleaner
You can also use a vacuum cleaner to clean your mattress.
- The first thing you will have to do is take a quick pass with your vacuum cleaner across the side and the top of the mattress.
- With this, you will be able to get rid of the crumbs from the munching sessions. Also, it will help get rid of the pet hair, dirt, and any other type of dust which might have accumulated over time.
- Flip the Mattress
Coil or innerspring mattresses need to be flipped from top-to-bottom from side-to-side.
- For the first three months, you need to flip the mattress on a quarterly basis. This will make the mattress las for a longer period of time.
- Use the cleaning process to clean the other side of the mattress.
- The purchase added layers of protection for protecting the mattress.
- Avoid using any kind of chemical as it might destroy the inner foam.
Make sure that you do not use any kind of harsh chemicals as it might damage the mattress.