Kids and kids-at-heart will love these easy steps on how to draw a dog.
How to draw a dog for kids
Just prepare the following: a pencil, drawing paper, eraser, colored pencils, or crayons.
- Start by sketching an oval shape in the middle of the drawing paper.
- Then sketch an inverted U on top of the oval; which serves as the head of the dog.
- Draw a smaller circle or a triangular shape with round edges inside the oval. The inner circle or triangle is the dog’s nose.
- Sketch the ears; saggy, pointed, round, or any shape that resembles an animal ear.
- Add the other parts like eyes by drawing two spots. Then, draw two small arches on top of the spots as eyebrows.
- Add two wavy lines on the bottom part of the original oval shape for the mouth. Then, add a straight line from the bottom of the nose down to the middle part of the two wavy lines.
- Draw two front legs; two straight lines with rounded lobe – left and right.
- Sketch a curvy line on the bottom right of the original oval connecting down to the right leg. Do the same on the left side. These curvy lines serve as the body of the dog.
- Lastly, draw two back legs by adding short curvy lines from the bottom body connecting to the front legs. And a wiggly tail.
- Complete your drawing by coloring the dog using crayons or colored pencils.
How to draw a dog (basic)
Still prepare the same basic materials such as pen, drawing paper, colors, and eraser.
- Start by drawing an arch at the top middle part of the drawing paper.
- Draw another arch below that connects to the first arch; the image should look like a rounded diamond.
- Draw an oval inside the rounded diamond as snout.
- Then add two droopy ovals on each side of the head (rounded oval)
- Add a straight horizontal line on the bottom part of the paper. Make sure that the length of the line is a little longer than the head (rounded oval)
- Connect the head to the horizontal line by drawing two curvy lines on each side.
- Draw an additional two curvy lines inside the original side curves for legs. Make sure curve lines match to the previous side curves.
- Add side-lying D-shapes on the bottom of each side curves; D shapes serve as front paws. Then, draw 2 short curves pointing sideways inside the front paws for the toes.
- Connect the body to the horizontal lines by drawing two arcs on each side which will be the dog’s back legs. Then, sketch another 2 side-lying D-shapes for the back paws. Draw 2 short curves pointing sideways inside the back paws for toes.
- Add a two curvy line on the left or right part for the tail. Connect the two lines to complete the tail.
- Add two spots or a bean-shaped sketch for the eyes. And small arch lines for the eyebrows.
- Draw a triangle or a small arch pointing downwards for the nose.
- Add two wavy lines and a straight line from the snout to complete the mouth.
- Clean up the drawing; erase extra lines using an eraser.
- Color the drawing using your preferred coloring materials.
How to draw a dog face
Prepare the same materials mentioned above
- Start by drawing two bean-shaped circles for the eyes.
- Then, draw an oval or small triangle between the eyes for the nose.
- Add a W-shape sketch below the nose.
- Add a U-shape drawing below the mouth and add a vertical line from the middle top of the U-shape for detail.
- Sketch a horizontal line on top of the eyes with the length slightly shorter than the eyes.
- Starting from the right end of the horizontal line, draw a curvy line down to the right ear. Do the same on the other side of the drawing.
- Then draw a vertical line next to the right eye down to the tongue. Do the same on the left side of the drawing. Lastly, add frizzy or fuzzy lines for the hair.
- Clean up the drawing and color.
Practice how to draw a dog anytime you want.