You don’t need dandruff shampoo to get rid of those white invaders occupying your scalp. Here is how you can end your dandruff problem once and for all with stuff that you probably got at home.
- Baking soda
- Baking soda is one of those ingredients that can be found in almost anyone’s home. It is a very convenient, and quick remedy to help you with your dandruff problems. It acts as an exfoliant that eliminates deceased skin cells and helps with the itchiness. Its antifungal properties will prevent dandruff from reappearing.
- Several scientific studies confirm the benefits of baking soda. According to one conducted on a thirty-one person suffering from psoriasis, baking soda reduced irritation and itchiness to a very low state in just three weeks. In another study, baking soda stopped to inhibit fungal growth in only seven days.
- If you want to make the most of this, apply baking soda on your wet hair and massage it several minutes. Afterward, let it stay like that for a few more minutes before washing it off.
- Include more probiotics in your food
- Probiotics are a type of bacteria that brings all sorts of health benefits to your organism. Some of the most notable ones are protected against allergies and improved immune system. Both are very important when it comes to battling fungal infections that are the primary cause of dandruff.
- According to one academic research, taking probiotics over a period of 56 days have seriously reduced dandruff in sixty people. They have shown to be very useful in treating conditions like dermatitis and eczema.
- They are available as supplements or as part of foods such as natto, tempeh, kombucha, kimchi, and sauerkraut.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is a popular home remedy used for treating all sorts of health conditions. But also has been used as a remedy to treat dandruff. Its acidity is known to invigorate the removal of deceased skin cells from the scalp. Plus, it is believed that it restores pH balance which makes it hard for the fungus to grow. That means it battles dandruff.
- There are no scientific studies that confirm all that, but there are thousands of people that swear by it. For best results, add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to your shampoo or mix it with some essential oil and apply it directly on your hair.
- Tea tree oil
- Throughout history, tea tree oil has been widely used as a remedy for conditions such as psoriasis and acne. Its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties are also well recorded which means it is excellent in treating the symptoms of dandruff.
- According to one study in which there were 126 participants, over a period of four weeks, shampoo with 5% tea tree oil, reduced the severity of the symptoms for 41%. According to another study, tea tree oil can be very useful in treating both dermatitis and dandruff.
- The only downside to tea tree oil is that it can cause some irritation to people with very sensitive skin. Because of that, it is always best to add a few drops to a carrier before applying to the skin. For example, the carrier can be coconut oil.
- Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera is one of the most common ingredients that can be found with all sorts of skin cosmetics, ointments, and lotions. Even though it is widely popular as a remedy for conditions such as cold sores, psoriasis, and burns, it is also very useful as a dandruff remedy.
- According to several scientists, it’s antifungal and antibacterial properties are what make it so useful dandruff remedy.
There is no doubt that dandruff can be very frustrating. However, there are plenty of remedies that are effective in reducing its symptoms and get rid of it once and for all. Next time, the little white flakes appear, make sure that you try the natural remedies mentioned above. There is no need for special skills, nor there any potential side effects. All you need to do is to follow the guidelines and apply them.
Use Anti-Dandruff Shampoos
Anti-dandruff shampoos are good for treating this condition. However, if you choose a shampoo that contains sulfate as an ingredient, then, it will make the problem worse.
Choose an anti-dandruff shampoo that contains zinc. This element fights against fungus and bacteria as well as reduce inflammation. As a result, the scalp gets moisture. Also, such a shampoo can maintains a natural oil balance.
Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has many benefits. It is a natural solution to get rid of dandruff. Coconut oil contains moisturizing ingredients that keep the scalp hydrated. It prevents dryness that can make the dandruff situation even worse.
Coconut oil has also incredible anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. Thus, it reduces the growth of fungus and bacteria on the scalp by reducing inflammation. Not only does it soothe the skin of the scalp but it also strengthens hair follicles.
Intake of Omega-3s
Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that play a key role in the body. Along with performing a wide range of functions, omega-3 fatty acids maintains the production of natural sebum oil in the scalp. As a result, it provides enough hydration to the cells, eliminate bacteria, fungus, dirt, and dust. This way, the skin of the scalp gets enough nourishment. Thus, you get rid of dandruff effectively.
Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation. It also relieves dryness, itchiness, and irritation in the scalp. These are the common signs of dandruff. Make sure you choose a hair shampoo or conditioner that contains omega-3 fatty acids as ingredients. On the other hand, you can also get these nutrients from certain food items like fish, walnuts, chia seeds, and flaxseed.
Apply Aloe Vera
There is not a single skincare and haircare product that does not contain Aloe Vera. Almost all hair shampoos and conditioners contain Aloe Vera. It is a gel extracted from the leaves of the plant and added to the skin or hair product.
You can also grow this plant in a pot at home. So, use the Aloe Vera gel directly on your scalp to nourish it with essential vitamins and antioxidants to get rid of dandruff. Aloe Vera can even help reduce inflammation in the skin and avoid a chronic form of dandruff called seborrheic dermatitis.
Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is a kitchen item. You can use it a wide range of recipes. You may not know but baking soda is an excellent exfoliant that helps remove deceased skin cells in the scalp. It also helps reduce itchiness and scaling.
The anti-fungal properties of baking soda make it an excellent home remedy to eliminate dandruff. If you want the best results, you must apply it directly to your wet hair. Once done, start massaging it into the scalp. Leave it on your hair for at least 2-3 minutes. Then wash your hair with a regular shampoo.
Why do I have so much dandruff?
How do I get rid of dandruff flakes?
- Wash your hair often.
- If lots of washes with a regular shampoo aren’t working, try dandruff shampoo.
- When using dandruff shampoo, lather twice and let the lather sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a conditioner after a dandruff shampoo.
- Try not to scratch if flakes itch.
Is it possible to get rid of dandruff?
Should I scratch my dandruff out?
Should I wash my hair everyday if I have dandruff?
Why is my dandruff not going away?
Does cold water get rid of dandruff?
Which oil is best for dandruff?
Should I oil my hair if I have dandruff?
Can I leave coconut oil on scalp overnight?
Can Lemon remove dandruff?
Is Egg good for dandruff hair?
Can we apply lemon directly on face?
The benefits of citric acid in lemons can even address the root of your hair problems — literally. This is especially true if you have a dry scalp or dandruff. When you apply your lemon juice hair rinse, make sure you massage the mixture into your scalp, too.