Life can get rough at times and it becomes horrible when your friend is sad. It is a helpless feeling to see them suffer, in that state. You will feel good by cheering them up and making their times better. The effort you make will make them learn about how much you truly care. Here are these 22 thoughtful ways on how to make your friend feel better and show how much they matter to you.
- Talk to Them
Everything starts becoming better for them when someone is there to ask them about the problems they’re facing or the feelings they’re going through.
- Ask them what the problem is and try to work on its solution.
- Try to know the way they want to cope with their problem and help them get along with it.
- Take Them on a Friendly Date
Dates are not always meant to be romantically improvised; taking your friends on a date makes them realize their importance in your life and gives them hope of you caring for them in their bad times. After all, actions speak louder than words.
- Take them to their favorite restaurant and order their favorite dish.
- Take them on a drive and turn your favorite songs and sing along.
- Go to a park and ride on the swings, reminiscing childhood, this will make them feel happy.
- Or just take them to a spa for some soothing and pampering time.
- Plot a Revenge
Yes, revenge is the gamble of the devil but sometimes all a friend needs in someone to be their partner in crime, with full enthusiasm, if someone hurt or upset them is the reason. Not taking the actual revenge, but just plotting it with your friend, sometimes makes them feel better about the whole situation.
- Discuss crazy ways on how you can make the miscreant feel worse about their deeds
- Rather than being sad, allowing them to be angry about the situation sometimes helps.
- Do a Challenge Together
If they are feeling zoned out and unable to focus on anything but the situation they are in, signing up for a challenge with them seems to be a good idea.
- Set some goals or aims that both of you can achieve together.
- Do crazy challenges you keep seeing on the internet, like ice bucket or mimicry challenges.
- All the crazy acts will help them get back on track.
- Make Them Laugh
Making somebody laugh is one of the best qualities in a human, and if you can use it to cheer up your friend then why not? Try and making them laugh will help them get over their sorrow and start taking situations in a better light.
- Play a prank on them and look at those amazing reactions.
- Tag them in funny memes and keep sending them jokes, if you’re unable to make it to them.
- Sing silly songs that make them laugh or those sick moves that breaks them up.
- Agree with Them
It is possible that you might not agree with what they have to say or what they retrospect out of the situation. Their reactions might not be the ones that you support but sometimes its better if you don’t retaliate to those and keep them to yourself.
- They might be irrational in their decisions, don’t let them know.
- Just nod and move forward, if you don’t agree with the particular reasoning.
- It’s better to just go with the flow, to understand their emotional state.
Sometimes you might not notice but your friend might be upset because of you. This might make them turn into a denial mode and not open up to you with the fear of getting more hurt or upset. Understand what about you made them upset.
- If a fight with you is the reason they are upset, you should forgive them and move on.
- Or if something you said or did, upset them, then you must apologize and make up for it.
- Do Not Interrupt
Being sad or upset are tough times. There are several thoughts that run through the minds and the emotional state becomes devastated, in those times they turn to you to confide in. speaking their heart out to you is the most courageous thing they do.
- Never interrupt them while they are sharing their feelings or situations, they are stuck in.
- You might feel the need to interrupt and throw in your views or suggestions, refrain from them.
- Getting interrupted might make them feel not needed and unimportant.
- Eye Contact
When they are sharing their woes with you, they want you to be all in, understand why they’re sad and feeling shallow. The warmth they get from the fact that you’re attentive to their feelings brings a sense of euphoria in them.
- Try not to get affected by any distractions and make constant eye contact with them.
- Making direct eye contact is important to show that you really hear them.
- Give Them a Hug
In these times all your friend needs are to be loved. Physical contacts of such matters can be really reassuring for them.
- A good hug helps them feel better than you can even possibly imagine.
- When you’re aware that they are feeling sad, hugging their woes out is really comforting for them.
- Or sometimes just putting your arm around them or holding their hands also help.
- Cook for Them
Doing things that they love in their terrible times are one of the best methods to get them out of their sad times. Cooking a meal for them sounds right.
- Cook them their favorite pasta with them, keeping them occupied.
- Or you can order their favorite meal from their favorite restaurant
- You can bake desserts together.
- Spend More Time
Spending more time is a way to stop them from over-thinking and basking in their own sorrows. Doing their favorite things together or watching a movie or playing games help a lot.
- You can choreograph to their favorite songs and entertain them.
- Or you can karaoke their favorite songs in funny voices to lighten up their mood and make them feel better.
- You can play video games with them or old school Ludo to spend more time with them.
- Go for a Walk
Getting out of the ripe situation into the fresh air might give your friend a better and positive perspective towards their life.
- Getting some exercises really help in changing their mental perspectives towards their problems.
- Walking in a beautiful environment, immediately lift their spirits up
- Exercises release endorphins, which makes them feel better naturally.
- Let Them be
It is important to understand that every human behaves differently in various situations. Some might be vocal about why they’re upset, but some might not say anything at all.
- Understand if they are willing to talk or not.
- If they’re crying or whining, let them do it just support and be there for them.
- If they are not sharing anything, let them be just present n their silence with them.
- Do not force them to talk unless they want to themselves.
- Get Drunk
Well, this might be an adult only one but comes out to be very useful in intense situations. Getting drunk is a fun thing to do and ding it when trying to cheer your friend up seems about right.
- This helps in keeping them their mind off the dreadful feelings.
- Sometimes, they might start talking after drinking, which helps them get it off of their chest and feel better.
- Care Package
Care packages are the sweetest actions when trying to cheer your friend up. As a friend, you’re obviously aware of the things that might light them up.
- Collect the snacks they like and gift them to your friend.
- You might also add their favorite candies or comics and create a gift box for them.
- Being pampered takes them away from the feeling of being useless.
- Make a Happy List
When sad, focus on positive things in life makes them feel better and at peace with themselves. Doing positive go to actions help them a lot to recover from their sad times.
- Offer them to make a list of everything she likes doing.
- Reminiscing those happy memories will cheer them up and make them feel calm and happy.
- You can look at old photos or pen down instances that were funny in your lives.
- Give Them Funny Tags
Using funny and crazy language when around them creates a positive environment around them. Every small step in making them feel better counts, be it giving each other funny tags.
- Make up a funny nickname for them and tease them with it.
- Pick up a noodle fight with them and call them with even more ludicrous names.
- This will forever be your secret weapon to get them to chuckle along.
- Encourage Them
Reflecting on them the positives about them will make them feel highly of themselves. It might happen that they may not take the compliment gracefully, but at some point, they will realize about you always seeing the good in them.
- Follow up by sending them messages about how good and positive a person they are.
- If you’re successful in making them realize their positive elements, it will lead to the path of success.
- Volunteer Together
You both can do a random act of kindness together, volunteering to do something kind for others. Often when we do something for others, it initially makes us feel better.
- It proves to be a positive distraction from the emotional distress they are facing.
- Even opening a door for someone, helping people on their way might help in cheering them up.
- Volunteering at an animal shelter will really help in changing your friend’s mood.
- Don’t Sympathize, Empathize
Do not sympathize them that might make things even worse for them. The last thing when they are telling what they are going through is listening that it happens. Instead, you must express your empathy towards them.
- By expressing empathy, you are letting them know that you understand what they’re going through.
- You can help them be understood and validated.
- Seize the Problem
Sometimes, rather than just going over the problem, facing it head on might make things easier for your friend. Follow the statement, take the bull by its horns and it will help in getting rid of the problem itself.
- Your friend might borrow some of your insights and strength to cope and move on with the problem.
- This forward momentum attitude will help your friend get unstuck from the situation.
- Make them realize that even though the past cannot be changed, the future depends on how we draw it.
- Show your friend the best highlights of your lives and how a problem cannot overcome all the positives in their life by being with them.
Do not let them wallow in self-pity, lift them up from those pits and redirect them towards the happy memories and the happy people in their life.
How do you make your friend feel better through text?
How do you comfort an upset friend?
How do you cheer someone up in lockdown?
- Write Them a Letter of Appreciation.
- Send Them a Silly Video.
- Go for a Walk Together.
- Send Them a Gift.
- Encourage Them to List Three Nice Things That Happened That Day.
- Put on Their Favourite Music and Dance.
- Create a Happy Space for Them.
How do you comfort someone?
- 1. “ Witness their feelings”
- Affirm that their feelings make sense.
- Draw out their feelings inorder to better understand what they feel.
- Don’t minimize their pain or focus only on cheering them up.
- Offer physical affection if appropriate.
- Affirm your support and commitment.
How do you calm a friend?
How do you make someone fall in love with you?
- Try to clear your mind so that you aren’t thinking about anything that might distract you. Focus on just listening to your friend and taking in what they are telling you.
- Use your body language to let them know they have your attention.
- Tell them that they have your attention.
How do you make someone cry?
- Maintaining eye contact.
- Be interested in who they are as a person and listen to everything they say.
- Make them feel appreciated and special.
- Smile a lot.
- Touch them more often.
- Embrace what the other person is most passionate about.
What songs will make you cry?
Why do I not cry?
- Put on sad music.
- Turn to movies that have made you cry in the past.
- Conjure up your most tearful memories, or imagine a hypothetical one.
- Think about what you‘re thankful for.