Anodizing is a process which includes metal finishing given to the material which uses oxidation to change the surface into a ceramic state from a metallic.
It is generally being used when the plating of aluminum done, anodizing is also well-matched with various other nonferrous metals like magnesium, titanium, stainless steel, copper alloys, zinc and more.
Definition of Steel
Steel is derived from the alloy of iron and various other elements. Steel are of four types. They are carbon steel (it is an alloy of carbon and iron), the other is alloy steel (it contains the alloying elements which doesn’t have carbon, such as copper, silicon, titanium, manganese, aluminum), the tool steel (is has high hardness), stainless steel (it is corrosion resistant steel).
The Anodized aluminum is used as:
- Safeguarding the satellites in the space.
- Increasing the life of the roofs, ceilings, and walls.
- Making up computer hardware and household appliances.
- Gives a new look to the appliances.
- Enables more life for the component.
Advantages of Anodizing
Anodized finishing gives a lot of benefits which includes:
- Improved resistance next to the negative forces of corrosion.
- Better resistance towards the wear and tear which occurs while using the metal.
- Creating a harder, stronger, and better surface for the metallic.
- Making a good appealing finish.
- Making the brighter and more lasting color of the finish.
Anodizing the metal – the following steps are followed:
- The first thing you have to do is turn on the power. Don’t increase the power too much as it can burn the metal.
- Oxidation will start to keep the power supply regular.
- As the anodizing process takes place to mix it with dye.
- After 45mins switch off the power. You should wear protective gloves.
- Now put the metal in the dye bath.
- Put the boiling water on the plate.
- Now just remove the metal.
The plating can be done on various types of materials and on different components, which also includes steel. The various parts which are made up of steel and the different grades of steel which has to be plated? This article will help you to know about plating on steel which will help you take the decision in your organization.
Anodizing Process of Steel
Plating on steel is done in a similar way as on other materials.
- The moment you start electroplating the steel, it should be cleaned.
- Then put it in an electrolytic solution where it is being introduced with the plating material.
- Switch on the electricity.
- The engineer will fix it to rack the steel which is electroplating.
- Thereafter being introduced to an electrolytic solution.
- Then place it inside a closed barrel along with the solution.
Steel is a part of electroless plating. Here the steel is put inside an aqueous solution and chemically the engineer will put the plating material over the steel, with no an outer electrical power source which can induce the reaction.
Aluminum is Having a Great Business
Every day we come in contact with so many sources which are made up of aluminum.
- It is a soft, durable and a light weighted metal which is found everywhere be in aircraft or any vehicle parts and even you can find it in components to food, windows, doors and foil wrap and much more.
- The report by Aluminum Association, says that the aluminum’s straight economic impact counts to be more than $75 billion per year.
- If taking into consideration all the aluminum-related industries it goes by $186 billion which is a huge number.
How to do Plating on Aluminum
Many manufacturing Industries feel it important to put an additional coating over an aluminum part for the reason of improving the corrosion protection, giving more resistance towards wear or sometimes even improving the look of the product.
- Electroplating is the method which is used.
- This process starts with immersing the aluminum components inside the electrolytic solution.
- Then putting up an electric current so that the dissolved ions will be deposited of the other metal over the surface.
- Another option is electroless plating, where there is no need for electricity. Rather deposition takes place through an autocatalytic reaction.
- Anodizing is best for metals.
- You should follow the methods to safeguard the metals.
- It increases the lifespan of the metal.
The metals are great in demand in the market thus require proper care.