Yeeha! Did you know that you don’t need to be in Mexico or Texas to get the authentic “cowboy look”? You need to do proper research and prepare yourself for some new wardrobe shopping.
The reason why you want to dress like a cowboy can be either for a costume party you’re attending or just a change of fashion sense. No matter the reason, it’s always a good reason to try this style.
Here’s how to dress like a real cowboy real quick:
- Invest in a Quality Cowboy Boots
Cowboys are known for their flashy and intricately designed cowboy boots or also known as the “roper boots.” As a first-timer, it’s highly recommended to pick boots with a flat heel for a more comfortable feel. The design for the toes section should be either round or square. Usually, most cowboys prefer the square-shaped toe style. Pick the ones that you’re comfortable with. For a cheaper find, try visiting the flea markets or thrift shops for preloved boots.
- Denim on Denims All the Way
If you want to do it, do it right. A cowboy can’t be a cowboy without an acid-washed denim jacket and jeans. These are one of the fashion trends that can never go out of style no matter which era we’re in. When picking on what kind of denim to wear, always wear two different types. If your jacket’s denim is crisper and deep blue, pair it with light blue washed denim jeans for balance. Your denim game won’t be too overwhelming if you wear the same denim at the same time. Apply the magic of “mix and match.”
- Don’t forget those Iconic Cowboy Hats
Now that you’ve got the boots and denim, the next essential outfit of becoming a cowboy is the hat. You can’t compromise the quality of your cowboy hat as this completes the overall package of the real cowboy style. Pick a classic design that stands out from the rest of your peers. At the same time, be smart on what kind of hat design to pick and make sure it matches your boots and denim. Get a well-fitted hat that doesn’t come off too easily or not too tight. You can either choose a hat that’s made from straw or felt. Just take note that felt hats are more on the pricey side.
- Accessorise with a Matching Cowboy Belt
The belt adds some funkiness and texture to the overall cowboy get-up. You know how the denim looks all the same and too boring at times. But the moment you add the belt for the overall look, it changes and hypes up the feel of the outfit. A real cowboy struts a silver 3-piece belt buckle with pride like a rodeo rider. Make sure when picking a belt, you keep it simple and classy without overdoing it. The purpose of the belt is to add more “oomph” to the outfit. Stick with the classic leather belts in brown or black. You may also opt for stylish designs such as personal insignias or your initials.
- Shop for a Decent Cowboy Shirts
This one’s pretty easy and straightforward. All you need to get is a simple but classy button-down Western shirt that can either have short or long sleeves. You can go all out for prints, but make sure it’s not too flashy that you would look like a Christmas tree. Match it with your other garments and make sure it pairs up well with the whole get-up. Keep your shirts simple but bold with style. This way, you won’t have a hard time doing mix and match with your other garments. Stick with single color prints or simple patterned shirts.
Important Tips to Ponder
- Adding a new clothing style or changing your everyday outfit can cost much. The cowboy-style is by no means cheap. The quality of each of the pieces from the hats to boots can cost a hefty price. Make sure your wallet is prepared to make such investments.
- If you’re on a tight budget, consider getting hand me downs or borrow from someone you know, especially if you’re only dressing like a cowboy once for a costume party or whatnot. That way, you’ll save from expenses.
- Shop your cowboy essentials in thrift shops and flea markets. They’ve got decent offerings for the best deal without breaking the bank.
- Research for the kind of look you want to achieve. There are a lot of outfit inspos you can check online to inspire your new look. That will give you an idea of what to get and even learn how to mix and match.
- Do not settle for less. Get the best quality as possible, especially if you’re doing this for the long haul. Get something that can last for a long time and worth your investment. You’ll look back one day on the purchase and realize it’s all worth it.
- Pick items that are comfortable to wear. Just because it looks good doesn’t mean you have to wear it. If you’re uncomfortable with your jacket or jeans, then you’re not going to enjoy the whole cowboy experience. Do not compromise comfort for looks.
- Hang out with the real cowboys. Observe their style and copy how they carry their cool cowboy look. You can also seek their advice on how to confidently achieve that cowboy looks, ask for shop recommendations on where to get the best finds, and get some tips on how to sustain this kind of style.
- Embrace the cowboy lifestyle. Live that rugged and thrilling life that you’ve always wanted. Saddle up on your horse or ride a rodeo and meet your cowboy friends in the pub. Bring that cowboy confidence wherever you go and make sure all the ladies will notice your undeniable charisma.
We’re pretty sure that after reading this article, you’re all set to dress like a cowboy. Hopefully, these tips helped you to prepare in your upcoming outfit.