Imagine your first act in the morning is uncomfortable just because your toilet seat is wobbly.
In other words, what if your day was, to begin with, irritation? Surely, that’s not how you want to begin your morning likeTherefore, make sure you are relaxed and comfortable when you complete your morning ablutions.
What is a Wobbly Toilet?
The wobbly toilet is a complete toilet or just a seat that is not fixed properly. Therefore, it malfunctions and even leads to leakages. In other words, it has all the characteristics to make your short stay inside a washroom unpleasant and full of discomfort. In addition, it can make your mood irritable, setting the tone for the day ahead. After all, who doesn’t like a comfortable start? The discomfort in sitting on the toilet seat can be attributed to a variety of factors. This can range from the basic flooring of the washroom to the engineering defects in the toilet. In addition, its aging can also be an important factor in this.
- A wobbly toilet is a toilet that is not fixed properly. This can make your short stay in the washroom uncomfortable.
- Possible fallout of this could be the start of your day with a bad mood. After all, the mood inside the washroom in the morning sets the tone for the rest of the day.
What Causes a Wobbly Toilet?
A variety of factors can be responsible for a wobbly toilet.
● Poor Soil
The ground on which the floor has been built should be good and even. In other words, the soil beneath the flooring has to be of good quality. If the ground is not proper, then fixing the tiles becomes that much more difficult. In addition, the tiles may not be durable.
● Poor Construction
If you add poor construction engineering then you are that much closer to disaster. In other words, even if the soil is good, but the engineers and workers working who lay the floor have messed up with it then you are surely inviting trouble.
● Poor Quality of Tiles
If you are miser with the budget on tiles for your toilet then you are likely to end up spending more on its repairs. In other words, if the quality of the tiles is poor, then they will not be durable and eventually will crack at places to make the flooring uneven. In turn, the toilet fixed on the floor will wobble.
● Aging of the Toilet
With time, rust sets in, and the nuts and bolts become weak. In other words, they corrode loosening the toilet. In addition, such parts have a lifespan. Therefore, over a period of time with use they break or become ineffective. Eventually, this leads to a toilet that is constantly unstable.
Why do You Need to Fix a Wobbly Toilet?
A faulty toilet can lead to major issues. The loosening of the toilet makes the toilet uneasy to use. The worst damage this can cause is breaking the wax seal that eventually creates a rocking toilet. This could lead to leakages and damage to other parts of the toilet. The leakage of water can dampen the floor, and damage the tiles.
- In addition, too much moisture inside the toilet will create rust in taps and other metallic fittings. Therefore, it is important to fix a wobbly toilet, lest it creates more troubles.
- In other words, ignoring it can cost you huge financial damage. If other fittings corrode and get damaged, then you will end up adding cost to the maintenance of the toilet in the long run.
- Finally, the whole idea should be to seal the root of the problem at the beginning itself. In other words, attend to repairing a wobbly toilet the moment you discover it.
- A wobbly toilet can lead to leakages in the washroom. The leakage can damage the tiles and eventually the entire floor.
- The moisture in the toilet can further start corroding and rusting other fittings as well.
- Finally, continuous water on the floor of the toilet is an unpleasant sight.
How to Fix a Wobbly Toilet?
Homeowners are often in a constant struggle to repair poorly constructed toilets. One of the most common reasons for such repairs is a wobbly toilet. A wobbly toilet leads to leakages that cause rust in fittings and damage to tiles and the floor. Therefore it is important to fix a wobbly toilet. And how do you do that? Well, there are some basic rules you must apply when you fix a wobbly toilet. First, you must identify the specific problem area. Secondly, you must immediately repair or if need be replace the faulty fitting. Here is a simple guide to fixing a wobbly toilet.
Drain out the water. In other words, before you remove the toilet from its fit, remove all the water. This will avoid excessive flow on the floor. To do this, cut off the valve that controls the water flow into the toilet.
Remove the caps which fit the toilet on the floor. Use a wrench for this purpose. Once the caps are removed, and the toilet has been moved out of the hole, check the wax ring.
Hold the flange firmly. This will keep the toilet in place on the floor. It can be done by either tightening the flange or replacing the damaged or loose flange with a new one.
Once the flanges have been repaired or replaced, it is time to insert the toilet and fix them on the floor. The flooring should be even and the tiles on which the flanges are to be fixed sturdy and smooth. Uneven tiles or flooring can make all the effort going in to repair the toilet go waste.
Ensure to check if the wax sealing is still good. This will prevent the bad odor and water from leaking from underneath the toilet.
What are the Tools Required to Fix a Wobbly Toilet?
You can fix a wobbly toilet yourself or take the help of a professional plumber. If you choose to do the former, then there are some basic tools you will need to keep in hand before starting the job.
- Wrench or Pliers of the size required.
- Sponge and a bowl for cleaning the floor.
- A grinder and a knife to sharpen the flanges and other fittings if required.
- A new wax ring to replace the old one. New bolt caps.
How Much does it Cost to Fix a Wobbly Toilet?
The cost of repairing a leaky toilet or fixing a wobbly toilet depends upon if you are doing it or if you are hiring a professional plumber. Your pocket may burn to a range from 45 US Dollars to 200 US Dollars if you plan to buy the instruments and tools and put on your plumber role. In case you are hiring a professional to execute the repairs then the hole in your pocket could be in the range of 150 US Dollars to as high as 300 US Dollars. This will depend upon the quality of the professional you are hiring. In addition to the cost of raw materials, you will also be paying a professional fee.
- If you do it yourself, the cost could vary from $45 to $200.
- If you hire a professional, the cost may vary from &150 to $300.
Finally, Some Tips to Fix a Wobbly Toilet
- Fix the floor properly. Make sure the floor is even and the tiles fixed on it properly and smoothly.
- Replace the wax ring. This prevents the odor and water from coming out.
- Check for damaged flanges. Replace them with new ones if required.
- Keep all instruments handy before you start fixing a wobbly toilet.
- Finally, do not ignore the problem for too long; it may eventually lead to more damage to the washroom that you thought.