Accidentally using your permanent marker on your whiteboard is the not the end of your whiteboard. Human error is natural and should not be a cause for panic.
Fortunately, there are numerous ways to remove these marks without damaging your whiteboard.
Here are the basic techniques you can try to get rid of unwanted marks off whiteboard using common household items:
- First, you will need a colored dry erase marker, a regular old whiteboard eraser, a pencil eraser, cotton cloth or pad, paper towels, microfiber, and/or rubbing alcohol. You can use hand sanitizer or nail polish removed in the absence of alcohol. Once you have all the necessary supplies, you can now start working.
- Second, use a dry erase marker (any color will do); draw over the permanent ink and cover the marks completely. Then, immediately rub off the marks (while the ink is still damp) on the whiteboard with a cotton pad using firm pressure. You might need to rub a little harder for stubborn marks. If the trick still does not work, scribble on top of the remaining markings again; leave it for a few seconds. Then, rub it off again with a soft rag.
- Thirdly, try a different kind of eraser; use rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer (alcohol-based), or nail polish remover. For rubbing alcohol it is best to use a 90 to 99% solution; 70% solution does not work well. Pour enough amount of solution of your choice on a soft cloth and wipe off permanent ink. Use the back and forth or circular motion to rub away unwanted ink. Again, if this does not wipe off the ink completely, repeat the process. Apply a bit more of hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover. Then, scrub harder. Wipe off the whiteboard with a clean soft cloth to remove the solvent’s residue as this may interfere with the board finish which can lead to easier staining in the future.
- Fourth, use a general kitchen cleaner. Put a generous amount of kitchen cleaner on a spray bottle and spray it on the whiteboard marks. Wipe it off with clean paper towels or a clean soft cloth. You can also pour an amount of kitchen cleaner on a clean rag, then, rub firmly on the whiteboard marks.
- Fifth, if the first 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options are not available, you can use vinegar. You can put the solution in a spray bottle or put a generous amount on a clean cloth. Do not forget to immediately wipe off the whiteboard using a soft cotton cloth or paper towels to remove residue.
- Sixth, hair spray. Simply spray onto the whiteboard marks; let it sit for a few seconds, then, wipe off.
- Seventh, make up remover. Pour a generous amount of make-up remover onto a cotton swab. Dab on to the whiteboard marks; let it sit for a few seconds. Then, rub with a paper towel or cotton rag to wipe off marks.
- Eight, baby wipes. No extra precautions needed: simply rub the whiteboard marks with baby wipes. Repeat the process if are not completely removed. Then, go over it with paper towels.
- Ninth, mineral oil. You can either use a spray bottle or a soft cotton cloth. Spray or put mineral oil on a clean microfiber or cotton cloth, then, press onto the whiteboard marks, writings, or drawings. Let it sit for about 30 seconds. Then, wipe the whiteboard thoroughly. Make sure not to leave mineral oil on the board for over a minute as this will remove the board’s finish.
- Tenth, coffee. Use your regular coffee to get rid of permanent marker off your whiteboard. Forget about sugar and cream, just plain coffee. The acid in the coffee will eliminate the components of the marker. Gently rub coffee on the markings and finish off with a clean cloth or paper towels.
- Eleventh, sunscreen. Put a little sunscreen on the whiteboard markings, writings, or drawings. Wipe it away with a microfiber, cotton rag, or paper towels. But, do not leave the sunscreen too long as this may ruin your board.
- Another option is to use a regular rubber eraser. Gently rub off the permanent ink with the eraser. But this approach is only recommended if you are working on smaller markings.
- Once all the markings are removed, wipe your whiteboard with a paper towel or clean soft cloth. Let it dry for at least 15 minutes before using it again.
You might need to repeat one or do a combination of these methods until the whiteboard marks are completely removed. It may require several attempts to erase the marks off your whiteboard completely.
If writings or drawings are not successfully removed using these home remedies, then, it is time to purchase a whiteboard solution. This might because you extra but a high quality whiteboard cleaning solution will do the magic.
It might be a little expensive, but it will do the necessary cleaning to make your whiteboard clean and usable again.
How to get permanent marker off whiteboard dos and don’ts
It is vital to consider these extra tips before you start your home remedies on how to get permanent marker off whiteboard:
- Do not use abrasive cleaners as these may cause damage to the whiteboard’s finish. Abrasive solutions can also make dry erase ink harder to remove.
- Do not forget to clean your whiteboard clean. Use a reputable all-purpose cleaner at least once a month.
- Do try different cleaning methods if one or two tricks do not work well.
- Do try cleaning the marks off the whiteboard using baby oil.
- Do keep all your cleaning essentials away from children’s’ reach for everybody’s safety especially if the whiteboard is used in children’s playroom or school.
Please be reminded that these above mentioned home remedies on how to get rid of permanent marker off whiteboard are not guaranteed to work. However, trying any of these methods won’t hurt especially that these are cleaning solutions found at home.
Try these home remedies first before going through the hassle and expense of having your whiteboard replaced.
How do you get old permanent marker off a whiteboard?
How do you remove marker from a whiteboard?
- Rubbing alcohol is another remover that will take the ink off.
- Moisten a soft cloth with some rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer.
- Rub it over the permanent marker.
- Repeat until the ink is removed.
How do you remove dried Sharpie?
How does Hairspray remove permanent marker from clothes?
- Always apply the alcohol or acetone using a cloth or cotton ball and never apply directly to the garment.
- Apply a small amount of the ink stain and allow it to soak for at least five minutes.
- Begin blotting with a clean cloth or cotton ball.
- Repeat as needed.
How does Hairspray remove permanent marker from walls?
Does vinegar remove permanent marker?
- Apply hairspray to the area until it feels wet.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Put clothing item in the washing machine without other items in case the stain bleeds.
- Run on warm with detergent.
Can magic eraser get rid of Sharpie?
What gets permanent marker off walls?
Is Magic Eraser safe on painted walls?
How do you get permanent marker off doors and walls?
Can you remove permanent marker?
What to use to write on walls?
How do you get pen off walls without removing paint?
Do paint pens work on walls?
What markers can I use on walls?
As you trace, the pigment on the back of the paper will rub onto your wall, creating your outline. Press down on your pen with moderate pressure as you write. Make sure you trace over the inner and outer edges!