Knitting is a wonderful hobby to do, especially if you’re having a lot of free time. Especially now, most of us are encouraged to stay more at home to avoid the virus from spreading around.
As a newbie, if you are thinking of starting this craft, then you need to know how to increase the stitches.
Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: First, you’ll need to be quite familiar with how to knit before you can increase the stitches. The basic knowledge is a must.
Step 2: Then, using your knitting needle or pin, you will need to knit the two separate stitches, just like how you knit it. When knitting your first stitch, you will need to make sure that the stitch won’t slip off the left knitting needle.
Step 3: Then, lift the right needle above where your left needle is located.
Step 4: After bringing the right needle above the left, you will need to do another stitch.
Step 5: You will need to take out the stitch from the left needle carefully.
Step 6: Then proceed to the next process, which is to increase the length of the yarn. You will need to make a hole on the yarn by poking it with your knitting pin or needle.
Step 7: You will need to make another stitch, the same way as you did earlier.
Step 8: Carefully wrap the yarn in hand, turning first on your right needle and then make sure that you make a big loophole just in case you need some extra space for later.
Step 9: Repeat the same steps, and the yarn stitches should be increasing or are longer at this point.
How to decrease the stitches?
As a knitter, you don’t only need to know about increasing the stitches, but you also need to learn how to decrease it. Here’s how:
Step 1: You will need only to knit a single stitch. You will have to put the first stitch you just knitted into the left needle or pin.
Step 2: Then, you will need to pull the second stitch you just made with the use of your right knitting pin and let it go through above your upper stitch, which is located at the left knitting pin. That should be outside the knitting pin or needle.
Step 3: If you want to shorten the stitches that slants to the left direction, first, you will need to slide two stitches you just made towards the left knitting pin going to the right knitting pin.
Step 4: Then let the left knitting pin go through the back of your two stitches earlier and let it slide into the right knitting pin. Make sure that the stitches should remain intact on the right needle.
Step 5: You will need to do another stitch by having the yarn wrapped around the ends of the right knitting pin. After that, you will have to pull the right knitting pin all through the stitches you did.
Step 6: Pull the two stitches away from the left needle. After this process, you should see a newly knitted stitch on your right knitting pin.
Tips on how to knit properly
- Always use good quality materials. You will need to pick a good yarn and choose nice colors depending on what you’re trying to make. If you’re a newbie, make sure it’s easy to handle and not too tough. Get also a good knitting pin that is sturdy and functional. This will be crucial to help you successfully create stitches.
- When you’re knitting, always make sure that you’re following the right pattern and measurements. When knitting, it can be hard to figure if you’re making the right pattern. Always use a gauge swatch. This will guide you on the preciseness of the current project that you’re making. Most patterns will always recommend the best gauge to use.
- If you have a shaky hand, try to calm it down first before starting to knit. Tensioned hands will most probably affect the quality of your knitting performance. You won’t achieve the good grip that the task requires. Keep your yarn at the same level of tension, so it doesn’t mess-up or tangle your yarn. You will eventually develop this skill as soon as you get the feel of the yarn and the knitting pin.
- Keep up the right consistency. You can’t make different stitches all at once. It should all be the same. At times when we are not doing it right, the stitches might be too big, too small or tight. That’s why it’s also crucial to get a good yarn for your project, so you won’t have trouble adjusting your stitches with uniform sizes.
How do you add an extra stitch?
How do you increase a stitch at the beginning of a row in knitting?
How do you increase two knitting stitches?
How do you increase two stitches?
How do you knit 3 stitches?
- Step 1: Knit the next 3 stitches on your left hand needle together.
- Step 2: With these 3 stitches still on the left needle, yarn over.
- Step 3: Into those 3 stitches on your left hand needle you will again knit those same 3 stitches together.