Although you cannot stop shedding completely on a healthy dog, which should shed normally, minimizing is possible. That is, you can reduce it by brushing your hair regularly and cleaning up afterward. For this, you should consult your veterinarian or groomer.
Understand the Problem
The whole dog shedding thing can be a huge problem if you ignore it for long. Yes, healthy dogs shed normally, but there can be issues with excessive shedding. For example, if the fur just keeps coming out and out relentlessly, there may be something you could do.
- If you keep brushing her and brushing her but the hair just never stops, you should discuss broadly if it is normal, for the breed, for the season, age of the dog, and diet.
- The first and most effective natural remedy is to reduce the hair burden on your dog. This means a good quality brush and a regular brushing routine.
- Ideally try something that has fine teeth, with a blade at the base, that helps cut the fur more. Run this brush around the neck, the sides of the dog for most parts.
- Keep the frequency for at least once a day. Some breeds may shed excessively and you may have to do it twice a day. Understanding the problem helps figure out these details.
Look for Natural Remedies First
This video on YouTube is from a veterinarian who discusses 5 effective remedies in case your dog has been shedding abnormally. Different breeds have different needs and patterns; however, some general rules apply to all. He discusses 5 natural remedies, so no worrying about harmful chemicals or stuff. You can follow these techniques right at home without any sophisticated tools or knowledge.
Use Key Supplemental Ingredients for Better Coat
Using supplemental items to improve the diet and overall health of the dog can result in a good coat. Also using applications on the coat can help with good growth, the lifecycle of the hair, and help in reducing the hair fall.
- It is similar to humans when they are stressed or under depression, hair thins out, falls rapidly, and more often too.
- The use of flax oil or flaxseed oil. Coat formula with additional flax oil can help them have a better coat, make it shinier, and even improve skin conditions.
- The average-sized mature dog will need one scoop a day, and that should do it well. The results should start showing in a few days or a week.
- Second, spraying on a conditioner. It keeps the coat high quality, as much as possible and even healthy as much as possible. It adds an additional bit of moisture in the form of healthy fat.
Use a Homemade Concoction from Natural Oils
It turns out that using coconut oil helps prepare a good homemade concoction that is great for dogs. It helps with retaining the moisture, stops hair fall and hair thinning. Coconut oil is available in a hard-thick paste that you have to melt before use. It is also available in liquid form. Use virgin oil.
- First, take a pan and melt thick coconut oil paste. It should turn into a warm liquid with a nice smell. All grocery stores have bottles that have a spray opening mechanism. You can easily purchase them online as well.
- Prepare the concoction now. Take two tablespoons of this oil and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Then, add a cup of water to it. Coconut oil and water do not mix thoroughly but to a little extent. It leaves a cooling sensation on the skin.
- Before applying this, shake it really well every time. This concoction also acts as a natural conditioner because of its moisture-retaining properties. You may add another 3 or 4 tablespoons of coconut oil to make it thicker.
- Applying it evenly once or twice a day on the coat is very useful in the long term. It will rehydrate the skin, as well as the hair.
When is the Shedding Season for Dogs?
As we had mentioned at the top, different breeds have a different life cycle of their coat, and shedding properties. For the dogs that shed only seasonally, you have to take care of excessive shedding only for certain months of a year. Others, you have to take care of it on an everyday basis.
- For dogs that shed seasonally, most breeds will shed in spring or fall. This is when the shedding is at the peak.
- In the spring, the dog’s coat will become much lighter and is getting ready for the warm weather ahead. This is a natural cycle.
- In the fall, a very similar thing happens when, in preparation for the winter, the dog’s coat will change. You will notice it clearly and a higher amount of shedding will occur.
- Managing seasonal dog shedding is usually the same as above, only for those particular months of the year.
Feeding Coconut Oil has Several Health Benefits
The same things coconut oil helps humans with can help your dogs too. From a number of probiotics and good bacteria to improve digestion, healthy intestines, and general health of skin give other long-term benefits. Coconut oil has been shown to help with alternate sources of energy, better nutrition. This good health, in general, will show in a good healthy coat that stays long and does not fall off so easily.
- Bad hair fall is direct because of bad in-general skin health. Include this in the dog’s diet through different food items.
- Use this as a conditioner too from an external application.
- If you are not sure your dog will take it well, start with smaller doses, less than a tablespoon a day.
- Check for a month or so to see if they can digest it well, then you could continue or increase the dose.
Know the Difference between Accessing and Normal Shedding
Depending on whether they have a single coat or double layers, length of the coat, short or long hair, or they are wavy or curly. There are so many types and different breeds that you should seek help. The first thing about understanding the issue is crucial.
- Fur loss that can look like shedding can be a concern if there is a health issue. For example, hypothyroidism or even Cushing’s disease can cause excessive fur loss and damage to coat texture.
- If there are additional skin problems, shedding, thinning, pathos, can be normal. Even touching can cause hair loss in such cases.
- Most dogs shed all year round, but some are seasonal and check with your veterinarian to see which case it is before panicking. Usually, summer coats shed for the winter one, which is heavier.
- Consult the veterinarian if you are unsure of the issues.
- Know your dog’s breed, natural shedding cycle so that your concerns don’t grow into panics.
- Use natural remedies for dogs that are mostly shed all around the year. Seasonal dogs will shed for natural reasons, so take care only during those months.
- Consult your veterinarian if you are unsure of the problems, and don’t wait too long in case there is an underlying health issue.
What home remedy can I give my dog for shedding?
- Maintain a Balanced Diet. An obvious reason for dog shedding is an unbalanced diet.
- Bathe regularly.
- Use Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Give your fido an olive oil massage.
- Keep your fido hydrated to reduce shedding.
How do I keep my dog from shedding so much?
These shampoos and conditioners can also help to loosen and remove your dog’s excess undercoat. Bathing your dog regularly and grooming him using brushes or a deshedding tool once he’s dry can significantly combat shedding.