Making use of a fan in warm weather makes a long day on a porch or at the desk almost bearable.
And fortunately, a fan is a machine that can be constructed easily as it’s merely a motor fixed to a power source and some blade attached to the motor.
The good news is: you can construct a homemade fan with nearly anything at hand.
How to Make a Fan Using Battery and Motor
One major problem that many folks pass through while using an electric motor is a power failure. But since everyone likes inventing things, you can use a motor and battery to come up with a fan. However, here’s how to construct a homemade battery fan.
What you’ll need
- An insulating tape
- A motor
- A 9V battery
- Cd to function as the fan wings
- Iron wire or a long steel
- A car gear to connect the CD with the motor
- Make A Stand
Take the iron wire or long steel. Ensure you use one meant for the construction activities. The stand must be made stiffer to come up with a properly constructed fan. After that, bend the wire to make it form an oval shape using your elbow. Ensure the wire is thick to make it stronger.
After that, bend the oval to make it appear as a stand then cover it with insulating tape to make your hands safe while handling the fan.
- Construct The Wings
To construct the fan wings, pick any of the old CD’s then divide it into eight parts using a marker and a ruler. Safely cut the parts with a pair of scissors to make the CD look like the wing of the fan. Alternatively, you can use a candle to bend the CD.
- Attach the lever, the wing, provision for the battery and the motor to the stand
Fix the gear (you can get this from a car’s remote control) with the wings. After that, fix together the wing and the motor using super glue. Attach the provision for the battery on the stand to ensure that the battery is permanently fixed.
- Make the connection
Pick the switch then connect two wires on the provision for battery (for example black and green) one will be used to attach the motor using the positive terminal of the battery and the remaining one for the negative battery terminal.
The DIY fan is almost ready. Finally, position the battery on the provision that is attached on the stand then fix the switch on it. Having done that, the homemade battery that you’ve constructed with your strength is ready for use.
If you want to make your project long-lasting, be sure to use rechargeable batteries.
How to Make a Fan with Paper
- Start by picking the paper to determine the color and size of the fan that you will be constructing.
- You can use a thin plain paper as it folds quickly and easily compared to a thicker paper that is lumpy and can be hard to fold.
- You can also use a craft paper or a card-stock as it comes with numerous amounts of colors and shapes.
- After you select the desired paper to make your fan, trim it to form the desired fan size. If you want a more extended fan size, ensure you use a rectangular paper shape. The fan will be about two thirds the size of the extended size of the rectangle.
- If it’s your first time to construct a paper fan, make sure you start with 15cm by 15 cm measurements as its perfect for beginners. Furthermore, it is the best choice for a small and handheld fan size.
- Place the paper front-side up then fold down one side then crease. After that, unfold the crease then use a razor blade to cut the crease to come up with a rectangular paper.
- Position the paper down to make the backside face up then the plain or non-decorative side facing you. After that, fold the top edge with one third as you line up the corners of the upper paper sides to create a straight fold. Do this as you crease from the center as you move outward.
- Use your finger to position the crease through pushing it down directly using your fingers. Then pick up the folded paper as you check at its profile on the side view. Make sure that the decorative side is facing downwards.
- Again fold the paper half to create another “hamburger fold.” If you want to create a wide and short fan, fold the left part of the paper to the right side then align its corners then crease from the center to create a uniformed valley fold. After that, open the fold once again to create a sharp and vertical crease in the center.
- Fold the right and left edges towards the center to make two vertical flaps that meet at the center. As you do this, please make sure they aren’t overlapping.
- After that, begin unfolding all the vertical folds that you had created earlier. Do this gently to prevent damaging your hard work. Finally, you will have many vertical creases each measuring about 1 centimeter.
- Build one valley fold on the bottom crease. The fold must have a “V” shape. Remember to keep the edges lined up if you want to create a tidy and accurate fold.
- With that done, hold the previous fold then crease it underneath the paper. In this fold, there is a decorative piece of paper called a “mountain fold”. Fold a valley, and a mountain then repeat this process to come up with a pattern from the folding.
- Immediately you make the pattern start constructing the handle. Do this by cutting a small string to your desired length. The recommended length is always 15 cm and chooses a string color that resembles the color of the fan.
- Then hold the fan as you tie off the handle using a string. The handle is the part that lacks the horizontal fold. Choose a handle length that you wish through holding several locations then look at what’s comfortable.
- Finally, as you pinch the bottom side of the fan, ensure you wind the yarn then cord around it severally. Tie the knot then get rid of the excess immediately you tie the knot.
- If the fan is large, you can trim the unfolded bottom in a straight line. You can do this through tying the handle up further than expected then cut off the excess piece beneath the string.
- Alternatively, you can use a shoelace bow when you want to tie the string as it gives a cute and simple touch.
- Also, you can decorate the handle by tying on charms, feathers, and beads to boost the dimension.
- Fix the fan on a gift wrapping then give it to a doll.
Making a fan is an easy task and now that you have an idea on how to construct a homemade fan, make sure you make several fans. Now that you know how easy it is, you can make several more.