A generator can be a great investment if especially if you experience frequent power outage in your area.
It is also an essential part of your RV; it comes handy if you love camping.
But no matter how convenient an elevator is, it also has its downsides. As we all know, power generators are loud. So, how do you make it quiet or quieter?
How to make a generator quiet at home?
- First, position the generator exhaust away from you, the exhaust end. This is dependent on the generator model as some models have exhaust pipes that can be pointed upward. Either way, these positions will reduce the noise coming from your power generator.
- Second, reduce the vibrations to reduce the noise. Use rubber legs on your power generator. Rubber legs are the same materials used for home appliances for non-slip purposes. Rubber legs are anti-slide rubber pads that are also ideal for heavy duty home appliances.
- Then, place the power generator on a soft surface. Putting your generator on a hard or metal surface increases the sound and vibration. Do not put your power generator on a shaky surface.
- Install a sound deflector. You can use drywall and plywood sheets. Place the plywood sheets behind a large piece of furniture near the power generator to absorb the noise.
- Build a generator enclosure. Make sure the base of where the generator will be permanently placed is concrete while the walls are made of woods or bricks. Or if possible, build a box made of fireproof insulator. Also, do not forget that the box should be well ventilated as to not affect the power generator negatively. You can purchase ready to install air vents online designed to remove excess heat and moisture.
- Replace the generator muffler. Change the muffler into the bigger to muffle the sound. Make some research first on the different types available and which one suits your generator. You can have this done through the help of a mechanic to make sure it is properly done.
- Muffle box works like the generator enclosure which can be bought or built DIY. You can search the Internet on how to make your own muffle box. But if you have the extra money and do not want to go through the DIY process, you can just buy a muffle box conveniently.
- Extra padding. Soundproof the floor or the base where the power generator is placed. You can use carpets, rugs, fluffy mats, or rubber mats to absorb most of the vibrations reducing the noise levels.
- Lastly, for home use power generators, most of these are placed in a block box or a garden shed, so noise not much of an issue.
Doing these tips and affordable solutions really help dampen the generator noise, but the easiest would be to buy a quiet generator if you can. These solutions are applicable for those who are using an old type of power generators or stronger power generators.
The recent models of power generators produce much less noise or with added features and options where you can muffle the noise. Eco-models also make less noise.
How to make a generator quiet for camping
Camping is a great way to temporarily get away from the bustle of the busy world. This outdoor activity allows you to enjoy and reconnect with nature.
Bringing a generator allows you to enjoy the benefits of power supply while indulging in the great outdoors. However, loud generator noise can disrupt campers and disrupts the calmness of nature.
Below are the basics of how to modify and reduce generator noise.
- Make an enclosure to absorb the sound. Take some pieces of drywall or plywood and lean them over the generator.
- If step one is not enough, you can build a DIY box in advance made from sound absorbing materials. You can use medium density fiberboards and panels for this DIY project, but to save money, you can also use mats, foam boards, or cushions to help with sound absorption.
- Or you can set the power generator on a foam mat to reduce the noise. Another alternative is to set the generator on the ground, dig a small trench around the generator, then set the enclosure into.
- Have the power generator tuned up first a day or days before the actual camping day. You have the option to have the generator’s muffler replaced. If you are considering this option, make sure to have it serviced by a certified mechanic to make sure it is properly done. Or if you have the extra money, you can buy a generator silencer. This works by simply attaching the silencer onto your power generator’s exhaust.
- Redirect the power generator’s pipe upwards, sideways, or away from you. If you are to point the exhaust pipe upwards, make sure it is covered in case it rains.
- Another cheap option is a bucket of water. Connect a hosepipe to your power generator’s exhaust and dip the end of the hose in a bucket of water. Doing so lowers the sound coming out from the generator exhaust.
- Lastly, do not put your generator next to your camping spot. Place it away from you; enjoy its benefits with a little noise in the distance.
If you are into camping, you have the option to buy a quiet power generator, to begin with. Inverter generators and portable generators are ideal for camping purposes.
Inverter generators are for powering heavy duty appliances like refrigerators. On the other hand, portable generators can power up a laptop or a car battery. An inverter generator is quieter than a portable generator, but what choosing between the two entirely depends on your camping needs.
Doing some modifications to make your power generator quieter is OK if you have the time, if you love crafting, or if you want to save some money. By combing or following the steps provided, you can reduce the overall noise level of your generator at home or on a camping site.
How do you reduce the noise of a generator?
- Build a Sound Wall Around the Generator. Building a wall around your generator is one of the quickest ways to drastically reduce its noise output.
- Reduce Vibration in the Engine Housing.
- Add a Muffler.
- Add Padding Beneath the Generator.
- Purchase a Quiet Generator.
Can you make a portable generator quieter?
Can you put a silencer on a generator?
How do you make a muffle box for a generator?
Why are Honda generators so quiet?
How can I make my whole house generator quieter?
What is the quietest generator?
How quiet are Generac generators?
What is the quietest whole home generator?
Number one when it comes to low noise emission is the best-selling Honda EU2200iTAG 2,200-watt ultra-quiet portable generator and in at a close second is the Amazon’s Choice Generac iQ3500 portable inverter generator.