How to Make a Pirate Hat out of a Newspaper
They say that happiness in this life is a choice, and we have no reason to disagree. It is good to let everyday count and try out new things. You only live once is a famous saying that encourages people to go an extra mile to make their lives worth living. Fashion is one area where you should never shy away from being creative.
You may want to try the pirate costume. This necessarily does not mean you will end up turning a pirate and cause problems at sea. However, one thing remains clear. Your pirate costume is never complete without a pirate hat. Well, by reading through this article, you will get in-depth knowledge on how to make a pirate hat.
- Gather All the Materials Needed
The good thing about making a pirate hat is that you don’t have to break your bank. Most of the materials required are readily available. Therefore, once you decide to make a pirate hat, here are the materials you will require;
- Packing tape
These are materials you can get from your nearest stationery store. Clear the working table and let the process of making a pirate hat roll.
- Getting the Newspaper Sheet Ready
Unfold the Newspaper and let it lie on a flat surface (working table). The normal size of a newspaper will give you a large pirate hat. For one reason or another, you may want a small pirate hat cut 0.25 inches from one of the edges of the Newspaper. The decision to reduce or not to reduce the size of the Newspaper will depend on the size of the pirate hat you want.
We recommend that you ensure you have enough working space. Avoid areas with disruptions so as to make the whole process effective. No one wants to end up wasting his/her time. In case you are showing young kids how to make a pirate hat, advise them to exercise a high degree of mannerism. This ensures they do not tamper with the items placed on the working table. Also, they can keenly follow the procedure and will be able to do it on their own when so required.
- Working on the Newspaper
Before we give you all that entails in this step, it is important to let you note that this is where a lot of work is when it comes to crafting a pirate hat. Therefore, keenly pay more attention to this step. It will largely determine whether or not you are going to have a good pirate hat or not. Or whether your students will be thankful for your prowess in the whole procedure. Here is how you should work on the Newspaper;
- Fold the Newspaper from the top bottom. This is what is normally regarded as “hot dog roll.” Make a light crease to find the center of the Newspaper.
- With your Newspaper lying on the working table, fold one of the top corners towards the middle of the Newspaper. Once you do that, you will notice that you have made a triangle. Bring the other top corner so as they meet at the center so that you now have two triangles. These two triangles will have two vertical edges lined in the middle of the paper. Do not be in a hurry when undertaking this procedure. Aspire to be a perfectionist. You have to do things right. To make sure your hat turns out well, the edges should be straight. If the triangles begun to unfold, do not hesitate to apply the tape.
- After you made the two triangles, you will notice there was a margin of few inches was left to the bottom. It is now time to gently fold the bottoms of the paper up. There are two bottom flaps. On one side, fold the bottom flap up so that it meets with the bottom edge of the Newspaper. Use tape to secure it. Turn the hat over and do the same to the other bottom flap.
- Add Some Decorations
By this time, you can notice that your pirate hat is almost ready. But adding creativity to the hat won’t hurt. There is one decoration that we recommend it to you. Draw a skull and crossbones on the hat. If you are not good at drawing, then you can print out one and stick it on the hat. Also, you can draw a skull and crossbones on a piece of poster bone. After completion, transfer the design to the hat and glue it.
- Open up the hat and wear it
Now, your pirate hat is ready. Wear it and be proud to show it around to your friends. You can now start behaving like a pirate. Congratulations.
How to Make a Pirate Hat out of a Cardboard
We are determined to help come out with your pirate hat. It is for that reason we would like to give a couple of options to choose from. Now, under this subsection, we give you a step by step approach of making a pirate hat using cardboard.
- Materials Needed
The materials needed are readily available, and hence it won’t be a challenge to find them. Here are the materials you are required to gather before you initiate the process.
- Cutting knife
- Elastic thread
- Draw the pirate hat on the cardboard
Let someone measure your head. This will give you the circumference of your head. Add either 1cm or 2 cm to the measurement. After that, add 15cm to both sides so as to get the length of the hat. The sides of the hat should be 8cm high. When it comes to drawing the top of the pirate hat, just measure 21cm to the peak (the bungled part).
- Cut and copy the pirate hat
Using a sharp knife, cut out the pirate hat from the cardboard. Do it gently and be cautious so that you don’t hurt yourself or mess up the design. Do a copy of the hat by outlining the piece you have just cut out. Once you have completed, cut out the design. You will have two pirate hats.
- Initiate the Painting Process
Paint the two pieces using any paint of your choice, preferably black paint. After you paint the two pieces, leave them to dry. The amount it takes for the paint to dry will depend on the paint brand you use. Therefore, read through the instructions to know the duration it takes for the paint to dry. To decorate your pirate hat, draw a skull and crossbones on one piece of the pirate hat. If you are not a fan of drawing, you can print out the image and use it as an outline.
- Join both pieces
Ensure you can spot the markings of the measurement of the length of your head on both pieces. Use glue to join both pieces together. If you don’t trust your glue, you can use staplers instead.
- Shape your pirate hat
Use your hands to join the two pieces. Wait for a few seconds for the glue to dry completely. Using your hands, pull the middle part apart, and then go round to ensure the pirate hat is in shape.
- Wear your pirate hat
Now, you can wear your pirate and boast your creativity to your friends.