Absinthe is a very popular distilled, high alcoholic beverage. It is a derivative of botanicals (flowers & leaves of Artemisia Absinthium). It is a spirit that consists of anise-flavor. Absinthe is usually green in color but also colorless sometimes. Let’s have a glance at how to make absinthe drink.
How to Make Absinthe at Home?
We might be curious about making DIY absinthe. And here we are to help you out to make your DIY absinthe in simple steps.
· Gather all the Ingredients
We will be requiring base spirits such as Everclear, Anise seed, Anise star pod, Licorice root, Fennel, Roman wormwood, Hyssop, Lemon peel, Coriander, Angelica root, Melissa and Grand wormwood.
· Dilute the Spirit
Pour 2 cups of base spirit (Everclear) in an airtight container. Add 2 ounces of water to dilute it slightly. Use a funnel for the process.
· Add the Botanicals
Add Anise seed, Anise star pod, Lemon peel, Fennel, Licorice root, Coriander, and Angelica root. If you are not having the kit makes sure to crush them into small pieces using mortar and pestle.
· Just Shake it
As we have added so many things, now it’s time to shake well. Then leave for 8-10 hours to marinate.
· Add the Wormwood
This causes incest-inducing hallucinations. Add two teaspoons of Grand wormwood into the prepared mixture. Steep it in a teabag for not more than 3 hours to avoid the bitter taste. And shake it well.
· Wait for Some Time
Wait for another 10-12 hours. These are very crucial, in these hours we have to add other ingredients like Hyssop, Melissa, and Roman wormwood). These herbs are responsible for green color. Wait for another 5 hours.
· Filter the Mixture
The liquor is right in front of you. You only need to filter it using some strainer. It will look like neon green which is more like an earthy dark moss. Now, store it in a cool and dark place. Prevent it from sunlight otherwise, it will spoil.
How to Make Absinthe with Sugar Cubes?
Preparing Absinthe with the help of sugar cubes is the traditional method to drink straight Absinthe. If you have ever tasted the Absinthe, then you would know that it is bitter and might burn your taste buds. That is why the traditional ritual is meant for. It tames down the liquor for the betterment.
- It is a technique that involves sugar, absinthe, & ice-cold water. Sugar is used to remove the bitter taste and ice-cold water dilutes the liquor. Some specific tools are there in the absinthe ritual. If you enjoy the traditional way of absinthe then go and buy a set of glass and spoons. This set is specifically designed for the traditional absinthe method.
- The glass can hold 5-6 ounces of absinthe and also comes with a reservoir at the bottom. This can store up to ½ ounce. Absinthe spoons are flat so that they can rest on the top of the glass and pierce with holes. Place a sugar cube on the spoon and act as a filter for water.
They come in various designs. The hole in the metal allows the sugar and water to drip in the liquor. It looks very classy. Let’s discuss how to prepare it.
- Put one ounce of absinthe in the traditional glass. Place a sugar cube on the spoon (with hole) and place the spoon at the top of the glass.
- Slowly pour the ice-cold water on the sugar cube until the desired concentration is found.
- Put another sugar cube and pour water until it melts. Now, sit and enjoy your drink.
This is how we prepare traditional absinthe.
How to Make Absinthe Cocktail?
Several ways are there to prepare Absinthe. Let’s see how to make the Absinthe cocktail.
1. Try a Deep Sleep in the Afternoon
This is a simple and easy recipe shared by Ernest Hemingway.
- Pour one jigger of absinthe in a champagne glass.
- Add iced champagne until it turns opaque milky.
- Slowly drink 3-5 of this.
2. Absinthe Sazerac
Antoine Amedee Peychaud is the creator of Absinthe Sazerac. It is the oldest cocktail.
- Pour 3 dashes of absinthe in the bucket glass that is nearly filled with ice cubes.
- Now, we need to add Osocails brandy (2 ounces), simple syrup (1/4 ounce), and Peychaud’s bitters (2 dashes) to the cocktail shaker with ice and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the bucket glass. Stir lightly & wipe the rim with lemon zest. Garnish and serve.
3. Absinthe Sour
- Fresh lemon juice pairs up nicely with all the herbs.
- Add absinthe (1/2 ounce), caster sugar (1 teaspoon), lemon juice (3/4 ounce), and gin (1 ounce) in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Mix well and you are good to go.
How to Make Absinthe Shots?
To prepare the Kalashnikov shot, we need to follow the steps given below.
- Pour ½ lemon vodka in a shot glass. Fill half of the glass by Absinthe. Let a slice of lemon float on the top of the drink.
- Place a sugar cube on the top of the lemon slice. Pour some more drops of Absinthe.
- Put it on fire. Blow out the flame and drink the Absinthe shot.
How to Distill Absinthe?
The distillation process allows herbal oils and alcohol to evaporate. This causes the bitterness to fade away. To distill the absinthe, we need to put anise, fennel, and wormwood oils with alcohol in a cool area. This will result in distillation and dilution of the absinthe.
At this point, the drink is clear. To add green color to the drink add some herbs.
Is Absinthe Legal in the US?
The answer to the above question is no. It is barely legal in the US and more probably it is banned. Let’s discuss why absinthe is banned in the US and Europe.
- Absinthe consists of thujone. It is a toxic chemical that is found in many edible plants and herbs such as tarragon, wormwood, and sage.
- These can be very harmful as it produces mind-alterations, hallucinations, and even cause death. It is a very strong drink as it contains a very high amount of alcohol.
How does Absinthe Make You Feel?
It creates hallucinations. Consuming Absinthe in large quantities can make a person lose his mind and can perform something dangerous. After drinking absinthe the person starts to feel dizzy with some mind-complications. It contains 70% of alcohol, so you can imagine how strong it would be.
Can Absinthe Kill You?
We all need to consider this section very seriously. Absinthe contains 70% of alcohol and can lead to alcohol poisoning and then death. So, it is highly recommended to avoid absinthe. If you crave it then replace it with other drinks. Also, you can consume it in very fewer quantities.
But for your sake, avoid it if you can. It is too dangerous for you as well as for your loved ones.
- Absinthe can be prepared at home. We can make the DIY absinthe in so many ways.
- The traditional method of preparing absinthe is the best as it dilutes the absinthe which makes it less dangerous.
- There are several ways to prepare absinthe. We can consume it as a beverage, cocktail drink, and shots.
- Most people crave alcohol but it is way too dangerous. Other drinks are ok but absinthe is very strong. It is recommended not to consume it in large quantities.