From university cabinets to workplace environments, file cabinet locks find use in everyday life. Some of us like maintaining multiple cabinets for the sake of greater privacy. In the process, we end up owning multiple keys. But what if we lose one? Here are some ways to pick them.
How to Remove a File Cabinet Lock without a Key?
Maintaining your keys with absolute scrutiny is always a tough ask. Every time we lose a key we risk giving access to some unknown identity. Hence it is important that we know ways of picking a lock in the absence of a key as well.
- This method of picking a lock is popular in most movies and television shows that we watch daily. It involves using a paperclip to pick a file cabinet lock.
- You first straighten the paper clip and then use it to tweak the lock mechanism accordingly. It is popular for its high success rates.
How to Pick a File Cabinet Lock with a Bobby Pin?
Using a bobby pin to pick a file cabinet lock is one of the most trusted methods. In the event that you happen to lose your key, a bobby pin acts as the perfect substitute. While you might not get it right in the first attempt, a little practice helps.
- In order to use the bobby pin, you first need to make a couple of physical changes to it.
- Give the pin a perpendicular turn and then get rid of the tip of the rubber that is present at the end. Insert the flat end into the lock mechanism and maneuver accordingly.
How to Open Cupboard Lock without Key with Hairpin?
Losing the key to your cupboard is one of the most annoying experiences of your life. As a result, you are unable to access any of your valuables that are present inside the cupboard. However, if you know how to use a hairpin you can overcome this dilemma.
- Because of its slender structure, a hairpin makes for a great substitute for a standard key.
- After you bend it and remove the rubber mechanism, put the flat pin end directly into the lock.
- With the other end fashion out a lever with your fingers and tweak the lock mechanism accordingly.
How to Open Cupboard Lock if the Key is Lost?
In the daily rush of things taking care of personal belongings has become an uphill task. As a result, more often than not we end up misplacing things that are important to us. Among those things’ keys constitute the greatest casualties that cause us much inconvenience. Here are some alternatives.
- When you don’t have your key on you, you can try using a paper pin or a hairpin.
- The flat end of these pins acts as key heads in the lock mechanism which works in your favor. Additionally, you can always break the lock open by brute force.
How to Open a File Cabinet with a Broken Lock?
There are only thing worse than losing your key is finding your lock to be already broken. This sort of a fissure not only renders your key useless but also presents additional woes. Plus it doubles up as an obstruction which makes it a major inconvenience. Here’s how to deal.
- The best way to deal with a broken lock is by getting rid of it completely. Using a boulder or any other large physical object, try cracking the lock open.
- In case you’re being able to keep the mechanism of lock in place with your hands, then try your key.
How do File Cabinet Locks Work?
Before we try tweaking a lock open with any contraptions, we must first understand how it works. A deep understanding of the lock mechanism will help us save time in the events when we have to pick it. Here’s a basic understanding of how a file cabinet lock works.
- There is not much difference between a normal door lock and a file cabinet lock.
- The lock has a container like a shape that we call the tumbler and a set of teeth constitute its linings.
- The key syncs with the crevices of the tumbler and subsequently triggers the unlocking mechanism.
How do You Pick a Cabinet Lock?
Cabinet locks are not among the most complicated locks in the world. The mechanism that they employ is fairly straightforward. A complete understanding of the mechanism will completely enable you to pick a cabinet lock. Here are some methods that you might like to try out.
- Firstly, you need to understand that you just can’t barge any other key into the lock.
- Every key is designed for a specific lock mechanism and it answers that particular construct only.
- Using a paper clip or a bobby pin, try and align the flat end of the pin with the teeth of the tumbler.
How do You Pick a File Lock with a Bobby Pin?
A bobby pin makes for a perfect substitute for a key to pick a lock with. Because of its slender making, it packs the ability to align itself with the teeth of the lock mechanism. But before you enter it into a lock there are few things that you must do.
- You can’t slide a hairpin as it is into the lock. It will be of no use.
- You first need to bend the pin at an angle and with the other end, you must form a lever.
- Once you have the lever mechanism, you can try picking the lock.
How do You Open a Locked Cupboard if the Key is Lost?
Nobody in this world wants to be unfortunate enough to lose their own keys. But accidents are inevitable and that is an irrevocable truth that we can’t escape. In any case, should you happen to lose your key, here is what you can do to open the lock.
- Firstly, try breaking the lock open physically. Rhythmically hitting the lock at an angle with a sharp stone usually does the trick.
- As a more civilized measure, try making use of a paper clip or a bobby pin to make your way past the lock. The pins are more often helpful than not.
How to Pick a File Cabinet Lock with Nail Clippers?
We all are largely aware of the diversity that nail clippers have beyond their usual ability to trim nails. A standard nail clipper has a lot of other contraptions that are really useful when you want to pick a lock. Here’s how they can be used.
- All nail clippers usually have a knife with a curved tip that generally assists in picking at the nail dirt.
- This tool surprisingly doubles up as a lock opening device as well. Once the curved tool is inside the lock, you can control it accordingly to help it sync with the teeth.
Importance of Knowing Alternative Methods to Pick a File Cabinet Lock
You never know when you can lose your key. And when you do, the last thing that you want to do is to just sit there and brood over it. Knowledge of alternative measures helps you put your presence of mind to the use.
- It gives you immediate access to your belongings in a situation that otherwise requires a duplicate key to access it.
- Consequently, you stay a step ahead of the stranger who might have your key and can access the lock.
- Always be thoroughly vigilant of where your key is. Under no circumstances should you lose track of it.
- As a backup measure, always have a paper clip and a hairpin handy on you. You never know when you might need them.
- As an additional measure, always carry your nail clippers with you as well.
- Don’t hesitate to reach out for help if none of the stated options work out in your favor.
How do you open a locked file cabinet without a key?
How do you pick a wood cabinet lock?
How do you remove a lock from a filing cabinet?
Can you replace a lock on a file cabinet?
Quite often, the owners of these cabinets have to replace these locks due to lost keys, or to prevent unauthorized access in an office setting. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to replace a filing cabinet lock, even if you no longer have the key.
How do you fix a lock on a file cabinet?
Can you drill out a file cabinet lock?
How does a file cabinet lock work?
How do you pick a file lock with a bobby pin?
How do you drill out a lock?
How do you open a locked door with a screwdriver?
How do you drill out a round lock?
How do you drill out a lock on a safe?
Can you drill out a deadbolt?
How do I remove a whitco lock without a key?
How do you drill out a lock cylinder?
- Test fit a drill bit in the lock cylinder.
- Lock the drill bit into the drill chuck and tighten the chuck.
- Drill a starter groove into the lock cylinder.
- Increase the drill speed to the highest setting and drill out the lock cylinder.