Honey is one of the most favored foods throughout the world.
It works as a medicinal materialPeople take honey for various purposes, like an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory agent, sweetener, and so onBut storing honey is a big topic of question in the mind of many peopleHere are the ways.
Store Honey in Cool and Dry Place
It is very hard to find someone who doesn’t know about honey. It is a food substance that the honey bees make for their food. They collect the nectar from the flowers and process them within their body to make honey.
- They store it in the beehives and we bring them from the honeycombs for our use. Surprisingly honey has a long shelf life and it is very easy to store for future use.
- You don’t need to use any preservatives into it to save it from any kind of molds or bacterial attack.
- This is because honey itself has so many medicinal components in it that help it to stay usable for a long time. Many of us must have seen that there are expiry dates in the packaged honey.
- But there is evidence that honey can stay good and usable even after 100 years if you keep it in a cool and dry place.
Store Honey in Fridge
Keeping honey in a cool dry place doesn’t mean keeping it in the refrigerator. Storing honey in the refrigerator can help to crystallize which doesn’t test so well. This is why the experts’ advice not to keep honey in refrigerators.
- Refrigeration not only affects the taste of the honey, but it also affects the color and aroma of honey. Generally, raw honey gets crystallized earlier than that of chemically refined honey from the factories.
- But even if crystals have formed into it, you don’t need to worry. The crystals can be easily liquefied through heat. You just have to put the storing bottle into a pan of mild hot water and stir the honey well.
- But never overheat the honey as the sugars in it may get caramelized and can alter the taste and appearance of the product due to this.
Can Honey be Stored in Stainless Steel?
In most of the cases, we see that people store honey in glass jars. Since glasses don’t react with any of the chemicals, you can easily store honey into them. But if you want to store honey into stainless steel then you must know that it may cause oxidation and the honey may get damaged. The experts’ advice that you should always preserve honey into such jars that are not corrosive. This is why using metal jars are not good for storing honey. The oxidation can cause corrosion and you may lose the natural properties of honey.
How to Store Honeycomb?
Honeycomb is the place where the bees store their honey. Many people have a question about the honeycomb whether they can eat it or not? The answer to them is ‘Yes’.
- Honeycomb is edible and is very safe to eat it with raw honey. It works as an antibiotic as well as anti-inflammatory material.
- Since the ancient ages, herbal medicine has given honey the post of a superfood. It contains several minerals and vitamins.
- This is why honeycomb also contains all those vitamins and minerals. Now if you want to store the honeycombs, you can keep it at room temperature.
- You can store honeycomb in airtight sealed packs as they don’t go bad easily due to the anti-bacterial properties in it.
Honey Storage Containers
Honey contains many natural minerals as well as vitamins in it. Thus it has got good anti-bacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties in it. It is a very good antioxidant also that cleans up the body and pushes the toxic materials out of the body.
- Honey stays safe in glass jars. This is why most of the companies sell honey in glass containers. Other than the glass you can also use food-safe plastic containers to store it.
- The most important thing is you need to store it in air-tight containers so that the humidity and heat don’t come in to spoil it.
- You can keep honey in stainless steel containers but experts recommend not keeping them in any metal jar.
- Metals cause oxidation and that is not good for honey. So use a glass jar or food-safe plastic containers to store it for a long time.
How to Store a Honey Dipper?
A honey dipper is something with which you take honey out from its container. It is better not to touch honey with a hand as this may cause the insertion of moisture into it. You can store a honey dipper inside the honey jar. As this will be dipped into honey, there will be no entrance for any bacteria. You just need to hover the honey dipper and honey will fall from its head.
How Long can You Store Honey?
Honey is such a food that stays edible for a long time. If you store it properly then honey can stay good for nearly 2-years. Since the main content of honey is sugar, it is one of those foods which stay stable for a longer time than other foods.
- There are evident in historical documents that honey can even stay good for centuries if you preserve it properly.
- The honey we buy from the market is not raw. The companies process the honey with several procedures.
- They sell it in sealed airtight containers to keep it safe and edible for a long time. You need to keep it in such a place where the moisture is minimal and is out of the rich sunlight.
- The optimal temperature to store honey is 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Even after this also, honey stays edible. It may get crystallized but you can use it after that too.
How to Store Honey to Avoid Ants?
Ants are very fond of sweet things like sugars and starches. This is why you need to keep the honey jar protected from the ants. You don’t need to do many things to keep the honey safe from the ants, just follow the home remedies to keep ants away.
- Use a bowl to keep the jar into it and fill half of the bowl with water. The water will keep the ants away and the honey will stay cool.
- Make a barrier with salt around the honey jar. Ants will never try to cross the salt barrier to reach the honey.
- The best way to keep honey safe from the ants is to use airtight containers. It will prevent spillage of honey as well as the smell will not get out of the jar.
How to Decrystallize Honey?
Honey is a natural preservative and that’s why it doesn’t require any kind of preservation. It is a viscous material that contains several medicinal properties. If you would keep in a place that is too cool like your refrigerator it will get crystallized. But if you see that your honey has got crystals in it, don’t worry. You can easily restore the crystallized honey into the previous form. Put the jar of honey into lukewarm water and start staring at it. It will help the crystals to melt and dissolve into the liquid in it.
Where do You Store Honey after Opening?
- Keep the jar filled with honey in a safe cool place where there will not be so much moisture.
- Store the honey far from sunlight as sunlight can cause alteration of the contents.
- You can keep the dipper dipped into it and avoid touching the honey. This will prevent honey from getting dirt from outside and it will stay safe.
- Honey is a superfood for every person of every age.
- Keep honey in a cool dry place to last it longer.
- Keep the dipper dipped into it to avoid dirt from outside.