Ceiling fans are the most essential part of our home.
Some of the places which experience only winters might not be having ceiling fans but other places with hot climates cannot imagine their life without ceiling fansIt is the most effective way to keep the surroundings coolNow, here the question arises that can we take down a ceiling fan?
How do You Take Down a Ceiling Fan?
Well, the answer to the above question is yes. Sometimes, we need to take them out. There are so many reasons to do so. It might be because of the outdated fashion, for cleaning, maintenance, functioning issues, etc. So it becomes necessary to take down a ceiling fan.
Let’s look at the process of ‘How to Take Down a Ceiling Fan?’
There are certain steps that we have to follow to take down the ceiling fan. The step-by-step procedure is as follows.
· Switch off the Power Supply
In the very first step, we need to switch off the power supply.
· Detach the Globe and Light Bulb
Then we have to loosen the screws of the globe and separate the globe from the fan. Also, we have to detach the light bulb inside it. If you have a normal ceiling fan, then you can ignore this step.
· Detach the Lighting Kit
For this, unscrew the screws of the lighting kit (top section). By doing this, both the parts of the lighting kit will fall together. Then we have to remove the protective wire nuts and detach the lighting unit.
· Detach the Blades
Now, we have to unscrew the holding blades of the fan, you can use the drill in reverse for removing the blades of the ceiling fan.
· Remove the Canopy
Remove the decorative ring that obscures the screws of the canopy. After that unscrew the screws that hold the canopy (used to cover the motor of the ceiling fan). To remove this hold the canopy in the upward direction and using hand prevents the motor from falling off. Now, we have to remove the remaining screws and detach the canopy.
· Remove the Motor
If any wires are coming out from the bottom of the motor then we need to trace them back. We have to un-wrap the caps in a counter-clockwise direction until the separation of wires. Now, remove the motor and cover all the wires with the ceiling using black electrical tape. This is how you take down the motor of a ceiling fan.
And this is how you take down the ceiling fan.
How to Take Down a Ceiling Fan with a Down Rod?
Well, the initial steps are quite similar to taking down the ceiling fan. So, it might be easy for you to understand. The steps to take down a ceiling fan with a down rod are as follows,
- In the initial step, you have to set up the ladder such that you are in front of the ceiling fan and you will require a friend who can help you out in further steps.
- Turn off the power supply. Detach the blades as discussed in the last section.
- Remove the canopy as discussed in the previous section. Detach the fan as discussed earlier. And ask your partner to hold it.
- Now, look for a pin & clip system (that holds down the rod in the correct place) at the base of the down rod. Unscrew and remove the clip using needle-nose pliers. Pull the pin and slide the down rod out.
This is how we take down the ceiling fan with a down rod.
How to Take Down a Hunter Ceiling Fan?
Hunter ceiling fans are in trend these days. But due to some reason, we are required to remove them. So here are the steps that will lead you to take down a hunter ceiling fan.
Initial steps are similar to the steps involved in how to take down a ceiling fan, and then visit that section for brief information. So, here we go.
- Turn off the circuit breaker (Switch off the power supply).
- Remove the globe and light bulbs. (Prefer the note).
- Remove the blades. (Prefer the note).
- Detach the canopy. (Prefer the note).
- Now, unhook the installation safety hook which enables the motor and canopy to get free from the mounting bracket loop.
- At last, unscrew the mounting bracket from the ceiling plate and also, remove the ceiling plate from the outlet box.
So, we are done with how to take down the hunter ceiling fan. Let’s move towards the next section.
How to Get a Ceiling Fan Replaced with Light Fixture?
For this, we have to take down the ceiling fan. And we can prefer the first section of the article; we can follow the steps for how to take down a ceiling fan. After that, we need to follow certain steps as mentioned below,
· Read the Instructions Carefully
We need to open the new light fixture’s packaging. Read all the instructions carefully; do not skip any of the instructions.
· Install the Mounting Bracket to the Electrical Box
Now, install the mounting screws to the bracket and now install the bracket to the electrical box/ lighting kit.
· Make Proper Connections
After that strip, the wire’s ends of the light fixture till the bare wire are exposed. Now, take the light fixture to the electrical box and connect them through wiring. We need to combine the bare wire of whites and blacks wiring. If the wires are not in black and white color then go through the instruction manual and make the connections accordingly.
In some cases, there is no ground wire but they consist of a green screw attached to the mounting bracket. Then, in this case, we need to connect the ground wire to the screw.
· Tighten the Nuts Properly
Now, screw on the wire nuts over the twisted bare ends of wires. Tighten the nuts in the clockwise direction and make sure not too overly tight. This may lead to the loose connection which is risky.
· Fix the Base
After this, tuck all the wires back to the electrical box. And lift the fixture’s base into the position. Now, tighten the mounting screws until they are completely fixed to the base.
Install the bulbs and after that install the light shade or cover. Turn on the circuit breaker and test the light.
How to Install a Ceiling Fan?
After discussing much taking down a ceiling fan, finally, we are here and we will see how to install a ceiling fan. Let’s begin with the procedure.
1. Removing the Old Fixture
- Break the electricity circuit and switch off the power supply switch. Remove the screws and use the other hand holding the old fixture in place.
- Disconnect the wires from the old fixture. Detach the old ceiling box.
2. Attaching the New Ceiling Box
- Buy a new box with a hanger bar if the fixture is placed between two ceiling joists.
- If you have access to a single ceiling joist, then go for a screw-fastening fan box. Cut around the hole and make sure that it is of the perfect size.
- Fix the cables through a new electrical box. Secure the ceiling box in place.
- Attach or fix the ceiling plate or bracket.
3. Assembling the Ceiling Fan
- Purchase a fan kit. Attach down rod to the fan body. Lift the fan towards the ceiling.
- Connect the neutral wires. Then connect ground wires. Connect the remaining wires. Tuck the wires securely into the fan box.
4. Mounting the Fan
- Fix the canopy over the fan box. Attach the fan blades.
- Install the light fixtures (Any type). Turn on the power and test.
So, these are the steps of how to install the ceiling fan.
- Before we do anything, do remember our safety comes first. Do not ever take a step that is risking your life. Take all the precautions as mentioned in the instruction booklet. Always remember to break the circuit and switch off the power supply. Don’t ever skip any of these two essential steps.
- Do not just use any black tape. Make sure to use the electricity black tape.