A lot of people think they are aware of the art of throwing a curveball, but they actually aren’t. Here are a few tips and tricks to figure out how to throw a curveball.
Baseball is a tough sport and one of the toughest things in this sport is learning how to throw a curveball.
The main reason people keep failing at it is that they don’t have a firm grip on how to grip the ball and how to throw in order to get the perfect curveball.
Let’s learn how to throw a curveball with the guide given below.
· The Spin Direction
Not knowing the direction of the spin is one of the major reasons why most beginners are unable to throw a curveball. Since the spin and the curve of the ball is the main element of it, it is crucial to get that right in order to master it properly.
Do not turn and twist your wrist sideways while you are throwing the ball. This will help you get rid of the sidespin element.
Also, a twist of the wrist can be wrong as the pressures created on the will deflect and make it difficult for it to break down properly.
The next element we have to keep in mind is the fastness of the all. This includes the spin and the speed of the ball.
It is the rule of the thumb that faster speed and faster spin will lead to a much better break of the ball. The spin speed is measured in RPMs so calculating that shouldn’t be a problem.
The spinning speed of the ball is the major component here. You have to keep in mind that the break will completely depend upon the speed of the spin. The faster your spin is, the excellent your break will be.
Furthermore, we have to keep the pitch speed in mind as well. For this step, you need to keep in mind how a fastball is thrown and apply the same step here as well.
Similar to a fastball, in a curveball, the arm speed will also be at your full capacity. The difference comes when that arm speed is converted into spin speed.
Often beginners come up with various excuses about the pitch while they are also not putting their full capacity intensity in the ball.
This is not wrong. Your intensity of throwing the ball should always be 100%. The step would depend on the pitch as the output velocity is one aspect that is unpredictable and varies from pitch to pitch.
· Gripping the Ball
- Firstly, the grip of the ball is the first step to mastering a handball. The placement of the middle finger and the index finger is crucial. Start by placing your middle finger on the seams of the ball and the index finger on the leather. This will help you get a grip that can generate spin with force.
- Secondly, keep the ball close to your palm and stick your thumb on the opposite side of the ball. Similar to the middle finger, this will also leverage the seams a little bit.
- Place the ring finger on the side of the ball. It should be done in such a way that the knuckle is positioned on the side. You want to keep your pinky finger completely off the ball. This is the best positioning for your fingers.Moreover, in this way you can ensure that with the ball close to your palm, there will be a high amount of velocity and pressure generated which can make or break your spin.
· Throwing the Ball
- Firstly, start a bit slow while you are learning how to throw a curveball. If you yank the ball on the first go, you might have some trouble. Start by throwing it from your knee to ensure that the spin works. This is a great way to work on your body movement. Increase the speed with each try as you go along.
The trick is to make sure you consistently throw a good ball rather than throwing a fast one. We can always work on speed as we go along.
- When you are about to throw the ball, position your hand a little to the side. It is the best way to produce topspin as with the help of it, your fingers will be on the front of the ball and you can pull the ball down on the pitch with more ease.
- Next up is a foolproof pitch to make your ball difficult to play for the batsmen. Also, remember to shoot the ball from your middle finger with 100% intensity. This will give it the effect of a yank and make it challenging to play.
Don’t just throw it out though. Keep a firm command on the ball during this process.
Ensure that the ball is under your control which can be done by working on the positioning. The more you can throw with the back of your hand, the better your curveball will be.
How do you throw a curveball for beginners?
How do you throw a curveball correctly?
Should 12 year olds throw curve balls?
Can you throw curveballs in Little League?
How fast should a 12 year old pitcher throw?
Should a 10 year old throw a curveball?
|Age||Average Velocity¹||Your Goal²|
|10||47 MPH||50 MPH|
|11||52 MPH||55 MPH|
|12||55 MPH||60 MPH|
|13||62 MPH||65 MPH|
How fast should a 10 year old throw?
Can a 12 year old throw a slider?
At what age can a kid throw a curveball?
How do you throw a curveball for a 12 year old?
How hard should a 15 year old pitcher throw?
What pitches should a 10 year old throw?
How much should a 12 year old throw a baseball?
How far should a 13 year old throw a baseball?
Why does a 2 seam fastball move?
|Age||Daily Max (Pitches in Game)||2 Days Rest|
What was the fastest pitch ever thrown?
|Age||Daily Max (Pitches in Game)||2 Days Rest|
Why is a 4 seam fastball faster than a 2 seam?
Is a sinker the same as a 2 seam fastball?
Ads by Google