A memory foam pillow was originally developed in 1966 for NASA. Today, anyone can enjoy the numerous benefits it can give to its users. Memory foam pillow keeps your spine aligned, provides support for the neck and head, it is hypoallergenic, restful sleep, and durable.
Taking care of your memory foam pillow adds up to its value. Proper care and washing will help your memory foam pillow last longer. So, follow these guidelines on how to wash your memory foam pillow.
- Fill a basin or medium size tub with clean water and add a few drops or gentle liquid detergent or a small amount of regular detergent.
- Put your memory foam pillow in the basin; submerge it in the soapy water. Make sure the entire pillow is soaked in the tub and gently squeeze for a couple of times.
- Squeeze the pillow until excess water is drained. Then, drain soapy water this time.
- Rinse your memory foam pillow with plain and clean water. Repeat the process until the water drained from the memory foam pillow is clear.
- Squeeze the pillow gently, enough to empty excess water. Remember not to twist it too hard.
- Hang it dry under direct sunlight or you can leave it dry under a ceiling fan.
- Once dry, you can spray with lavender oil or any scent of your choice.
How to wash memory foam pillow (deep cleaning)
- Fill a big tub with clean cold water. Mix a small amount of gentle detergent and then submerge the memory foam pillow completely. Squeeze gently until stain or dirt is removed.
- Drain and refill the tub with clean water. Submerge pillow again, squeeze several times until the water runs clear.
- Lightly squeeze the pillow until most water is drained out.
- Place pillow on a clean towel, then, roll to squeeze out water. Repeat twice or thrice.
- Take off the pillow from the towel, and leave it outdoor to dry.
- After 24 hours, you can now enjoy your fresh and crisp memory foam pillow.
How to wash memory foam pillow without damaging it
- First, do not wash your pillow in a washing machine. The spin cycle in the machine can damage your memory pillow.
- Never place your memory foam pillow in the dryer. The heat can melt and damage your pillow.
- Avoid using strong detergent or bleach when washing your pillow to prevent it from breaking down.
- Never wring the pillow.
- Avoid using hot water when washing as it will set the stain.
- Refrain from using a damp memory foam pillow. You should allow it to completely dry from direct sunlight to prevent mildew and mold.
How to wash memory foam pillow without actually washing it
Cleaning your memory foam pillow once a week will prevent it from accumulating dirt, stains, sweat residue, spill, and dust. And there are ways to do it without actually washing the pillow. Here’s how:
- Thoroughly vacuum the memory foam pillow every week.
- Regularly change your pillowcase, at least once a week.
- Then spot for spills. If you have accidentally spilled coffee or tea on your memory pillow, simply remove the pillowcase. Then, use a clean towel or cottony cloth to absorb any excess liquid.
- In a bowl, mix a mild detergent with clean cold water until bubbly consistency is achieved. Get a clean sponge and dip it in the soapy water. Gently rub the area with spill using the sponge until clean.
- Dip sponge in clean cold water, squeeze until water from the sponge is not soapy anymore. Rub into the spilled area again to wipe off the detergent.
- Allow your memory foam pillow to dry outdoor or you can use an air dryer for speed drying.
How to wash memory foam pillow (blood and wine stains)
For hard to remove stains, follow these steps:
- First, take out the memory foam pillow from the pillowcase.
- Pour 3% hydrogen peroxide directly on the stained spot; blot with a clean cottony cloth until the solution has stopped bubbling. Spray the area with cold water, and then, gently scrub off the stain using a toothbrush. Once the stain is removed, spray with plain water again and wipe with a clean cloth to dry.
- Allow the pillow to air dry.
For pet urine like dog or cat:
- In a bowl or a cup, mix 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Put the solution into a spray bottle; then spray to the stained area.
- Leave the solution overnight and then blot clean with cold clean water.
- Repeat the process if necessary or if the foul smell is still there.
- Once satisfied, allow the memory foam pillow to air dry.
Now, if your memory foam pillow looks clean but smells weird, then you can clean or deodorize using baking soda:
- Take off the pillowcase completely. Then, put your memory foam pillow on a flat surface.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda all over your pillow, then, put it outside under direct sunlight for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Get a vacuum cleaner attachment and vacuum the memory foam pillow rigorously.
- Put a new pillowcase and indulge in a fresh and clean pillow.
Even if memory foam pillows are expected to last longer compared to regular pillows, you still need to replace it at least every 16 to 36 months. Even with proper care, the foam inside will start to break down over time. You will know if it is time to replace your pillow by folding the two long sections together. If it takes time to revert to its original shape, then it is time to get a new memory foam pillow.
Memory foam pillow is made of delicate materials so extra care is a must. Remember that the only time it should get wet is when you are washing it. If possible, just spot clean it to avoid mold growth. Take care of it and wash it properly to prolong its lifespan.
Can memory foam pillows be washed in the washing machine?
How do you deep clean a memory foam pillow?
To treat tough stains, fill a bathtub or large sink with cold water and mix with a small amount of mild detergent. Submerge the pillow completely, then squeeze the foam gently to allow the soapy water to penetrate the pillow’s material and remove the stain.
How do you wash a memory foam pillow Reddit?
How do you get the smell out of a memory foam pillow?
Sprinkle baking soda on the pillow and let it sit out for a few hours. Use a vacuum hose and suck up all the baking soda and invisible packaging hairs that may cause the smell to worsen.
Will memory foam smell go away?
How long does it take for memory foam to stop smelling?
Is memory foam smell dangerous?
Why does memory foam smell so bad?
Can I sleep on memory foam first night?
Does memory foam flatten over time?
How can I speed up my memory foam expansion?
Do memory foam pillows need to be broken in?
Do you put pillowcases on memory foam pillows?
How long does it take to break in memory foam pillow?
Why does my pillow hurt my head?
The wrong pillow can stretch your neck muscles and cause your head to be out of alignment with your spine. If the pillow is too plush or too thin, it can‘t adequately support your head and keep it in alignment with your spine.