A long distance relationship can get a little monotonous and boring if you don’t make a conscious effort to keep things interesting. There are many ways that you can add excitement to your relationship so things don’t get stale. If you want to make things work with your significant other, you should take these tips into consideration.
- Write Each Other Letters
Today’s technology has made letter writing practically obsolete, but it’s something fun that you can try with your partner. Exchanging sweet hand-written letters can be a great way to maintain that interesting spark.
- Give Gifts
You might also want to try giving each other surprise gifts. Take the time to choose little things that you are confident your significant other will like. Just think about some of their hobbies and interests when searching for the right gifts. This is a very effective way to spice things up in your relationship. The gifts you give each other don’t have to be expensive, but they should have a lot of thought behind them.
- Plan Fun Date Activities
There are tons of fun activities that you can do together to make your relationship more fun and interesting.
- Spend time playing video games together when you meet in person.
- Ask each other fun hypothetical questions over the phone to get to know each other better.
- Plan video chat date nights where you both eat a meal. It’s not as good as the real thing, but it’s worth trying out.
- Play board games that are specifically designed for couples.
- Take a Trip Together
Taking a trip somewhere nice with your partner can be a great way to keep your relationship fun and exciting. It should a place that you would both like to visit. Everyone needs a chance of scenery sometimes, and it can do a world of good for you and your significant other.
- Send Each Other Playful Pictures
You can also randomly second your partner playful pictures that will make them smile and brighten up their day. This will keep things fun and give you both a nice surprise once in a while. Sometimes you can even get a little bit naughty with the pictures you send. It might not be as good as seeing each other in person, but it can still have a positive effect on your relationship.
- Video Chat
Regular video chat sessions can be another great way to keep your relationship from getting boring. You can watch the same movie together while on webcam as a sort of video date. Talking on the phone is great, but actually seeing each other is even better!
- Take Online Classes Together
These days even prestigious schools like Yale and MIT offer online classes that anyone can take. This can be a great way to learn something new with your significant other. Take some time to decide what sort of class you want to take as a couple.
- Quiz Each Other
There are lots of fun quizzes that you can find online to give each other. This will help you get to know each other better while keeping your relationship interesting. The more you learn about each other, the stronger your bond will become.
- Keep yourself open to new things that you and your partner can do together, even from a distance. You shouldn’t limit your ability to make your relationship fun and exciting.
Surprise visits will allow you to see your partner in person while keeping things spontaneous.
How can I stop being bored in a long distance relationship?
- Share the boring things. As a school teacher in the U.K. system, I got a break every six weeks, so we planned to see each other regularly.
- Don’t forget to prioritize yourself.
- Get a little imaginative for dates.
- Have a routine.
- Talk everything out.
Should you talk everyday in a long distance relationship?
You might think talking every single day when you‘re in an LDR is a must. The truth is, experts say it’s really not necessary and might actually be harmful to your relationship. “You don’t need to be in constant communication,” Davis says.