Creating folders within your Google Drive is a good way to keep files and documents sorted and organized.
You can create different folders for different topics or assignments so that finding your documents and files is a breezeHere is how to organize your files by creating folders in Google Drive from your computer, Apple, or Android device:
How to Make a Folder in Google Drive on a Computer
- Open Google Drive on your computer.
- On the left hand side of the screen, there will be a toolbar. At the top of the tool bar, look for the button that says “New”. It will appear with a multi-colored plus sign next to it.
- Click “New” to open a dropdown menu with choices for different kinds of new files. At the top of the dropdown, you will see an icon labeled “folder” with a plus sign in it. Click that option to open a new folder.
- You will be prompted to name this folder. Give it a name that corresponds to the type of files that you will store inside it to stay better organized.
- You now have a new folder to start creating new files in, or to move existing files into to organize your Google Drive.
How to Make a Folder in Google Drive on an Apple Device
- Open the Google Drive app on your iPhone, iPad or other Apple device. It looks like a yellow, green and blue triangle.
- Go to the bottom right of your screen and look for the “add” button. It appears as a circle with a plus sign in the middle. Tap this button.
- You will be able to add a new Google Doc, Google Sheet or other file type. Ignore those for now, and select the option labeled “folder”.
- Name the new folder by typing a name for it into the text box, then tap “create”. You now have a new folder to store your Docs and other files in.
How to Make a Folder in Google Drive on an Android Device
- Start by opening the Google Drive app on your Android device. Tap the tri-colored triangle icon to open Google Drive.
- At the bottom of your screen, you will see a plus sign inside of a circle on the right side. It should be labeled “new”.
- Select “folder” from the menu, and type in a name for your new folder. Complete the process by selecting “create”.
Now you have a new folder within your Google Drive so that you can start storing files inside of it.