The solar oven uses the energy of the sun to heat up a delicious treat. A solar oven proves to be really useful when you are going out camping. Since it doesn’t use fuel, it is very cheap to use.
These are the reason developed countries are using this. Solar cookers are generally used in outdoor areas. The best part about this is that it helps in reducing deforestation and pollution. It is very easy to make a solar cooker. Follow the steps given below to make one.
- Things Needed
Most of the items are available in the house. You are going to need.
- 1 small and 1 big box
- Black spray paint
- Glass cleaner
- Glue or tape
- Baking Rack
- Paint and Dry
You have to go outside with the small box. Now, paint the bottom portion of the box with black color spray paint. Be careful not to breathe in the fumes. It will take 15-20 minutes to dry.
- Tinfoil in Small Box
When the small box has dried up, bring it inside. Take the tinfoil and cover all the four sides. Make sure that it is covered properly. Use the shiny side of your tinfoil. It is better to use see-through tape for covering this.
- While the paint is drying up, you need to start working on the primary part of the oven. The insulation is going to keep the oven warm and will cook the food.
- There are two types of insulation. The first is styrofoam insulation. Use half-inch white plate of styrofoam and cut it according to the box length. Round it up without any cracks. However, it is okay if there are some breaks.
- The second is a newspaper. Put the small box inside the bigger one. In case the dimensions are okay, there have to be 1-2 inches on each side of the boxes.
- Now, crumble the newspaper and stuff it inside the space. Check to see that there are gaps between the papers. This is because it will store the warm heat like air pockets making the oven warmer.
- The oven is almost done. Next, you will have to make the reflectors. You have the top of the boxed which fold over the box. Cover them up with tinfoil.
- Better keep them at a forty-five-degree angle. Don’t forget to use the shiny side of the tinfoil along with the see-through tape.
- The last integral step to make the solar oven is the glass. Keep in mind that the more accurate it is the less hot air is going to escape. This will make the food to cook faster and also taste much better.
- You can use a big picture frame and cut it as per the shape of the box. Use the glass cutter to cut the glass. This is the best way to cut glass.
- Clean and Protect
- After you are done cutting the glass as per the dimensions, you have to ensure that it is safe enough for use. Put duct tape on all edges and at the corners.
- This way you will not have to suffer from an injury. Clean the glass properly to make it shiny. However, make sure that you do not use the cleaner near the tape. This might make it soggy and it will come off.
- Place the Rack
Before placing the glass on the oven, put a baking rack at the bottom. Surely, it is going to be better if all the sides are cooked equally. Now, it is all set to cook some delicious food.
How do you make a solar oven step by step?
How hot can a homemade solar oven get?
How long does it take to cook a hot dog in a solar oven?
- Prep Time 10 minutes.
- Active Time 30 minutes.
- Additional Time 30 minutes.
- Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Difficulty Medium.