Painting a cooler may seem an easier task but that’s not the case. It is a job that is quite labor intensive and requires one to be alert. You must keenly follow all instructions laid down. We are going to give you a step by step approach on how to paint a cooler.
. Assemble all the materials needed. Painting a cooler requires that you have all the necessary items ready. This ensures you don’t waste much of your time trying to look out for any missing apparatus when undertaking the process. Choose a well-ventilated area. You can cover the floor with down cloth or old newspapers so that you don’t mess it with the paint. Some of the materials are needed are;
- Sanding paper
- Paint brush
- Pencil and other drawing objects
2. Filling any logos with Spackle and sanding. In most cases cooler will come with logos of the manufacturer or brand. Well, you don’t want to mess up with the logo found on your cooler. Before you perform any painting job, you are required to cover any logos or indent using Spackle. Leave the Spackle to dry. The amount of time it takes for it depends on how deep the indent is. Use your fingers to feel whether the Spackle is dry.
3. Sanding the cooler. Once the Spackle is dry begin the sanding process. This step is quite long and tiresome. Therefore, it is important that you be ready to soldier on.
- We recommend that you use at least three types of sanding paper. These are course grit, medium grit, and fine grit.
- Begin sanding using a course sand paper. Apply much pressure while sanding all sides of the cooler until you can longer feel the original texture of the cooler.
- Next, use medium grit to sand the cooler again. Finalize the process by using a fine grit. By this time your cooler should feel smooth with no bumps.
- The whole idea of sanding the cooler is making it smoother so that it becomes easy to paint it. Also, the paint will stick longer.
NB: If you overlook this step then you will cry foul after few months. This is because the paint will come off after a few months.
4. Application of the primer. Once you have completed the process, wash off the gritty powder from the cooler. Leave the cooler to dry after which you apply the primer. Think primer as the base coat.
- Spray the primer to the cooler rather than using a brush. If there are areas that you don’t want to paint then cover them using the painters tape.. Once done, leave the cooler in a well-ventilated and allow it to dry.
- After 24 hours the cooler should feel dry.
5. Paint the background. After you choose your favorite acrylic paint. This should happen before you draw any designs on your cooler. Use a brush to cover the paint in all sides of the cooler. One background color for the background is enough. Allow the paint to dry before you proceed to the next step.
6. Design the cooler by incorporating cool designs. Well, this is a stage where your creativity is put into test. Do not disappoint. You are not limited to any particular design.
- You can use a pencil to draw designs and pattern. Also, you can print out your own logos and designs and trace them to your cooler using a carbon paper. This is best way to do it. This is because your logos and designs look professional and neat.
- To avoid any complications when tracing the designs on the cooler check out simple logos and fonts.
- Trace the outline of your design onto the carbon paper. Then place the paper on the cooler where you want to locate the design and draw over the lines to transfer the design.
7. Fill the design with paint. Use small paint brush to ensure your design looks neat. If you are going to apply more than one paint on the same design then do one color at a time and let it dry. Allow the paint to dry.
8. Apply Mod Podge. It works best in preventing the paint on the cooler from chipping or peeling off. This gives your cooler an appealing look and lasts longer.
Can you paint a cooler without sanding it?
How do you prepare a cooler for painting?
- Step 1: Sand And Spackle. First thing’s first.
- Step 2: Primer. Now that your cooler is smoother than McCoy, you can get started on the priming stage.
- Step 3: Pick Your Designs.
- Step 4: Transfer Your Stencils Onto The Cooler.
- Step 5: PAINT.
- Step 6: Let It Dry.
- Step 7: Seal It Up.
- Step 8: Dry And Load It Up.
What do you seal painted coolers with?
- We recommend using Varnify, Mod Podge, Famowood or Krylon Clear Sealer.
- Make sure the sealer you choose is waterproof if you plan on using the cooler where it might get wet.
- Always wait at least 24 hours after painting to seal your cooler to ensure the paint is completely dry.
How do you use Modge Podge to seal a cooler?
Can you Mod Podge a cooler?
How do you seal stickers on a cooler?
To seal the stickers, use a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of decoupage glue over the stickers and the plastic surfaces immediately around their edges. The glue will be white and opaque while it is wet, but it will become clear when it is dry.
How do you seal a sticker?
Can I use Mod Podge to seal stickers?
What do you use to seal stickers?
Can I put clear coat over stickers?
How do I waterproof a sticker?
How do you make labels waterproof?
How do you make printable stickers waterproof?
How do you make a sticker shiny?
How do I make my own labels?
How can I make my own labels for free?
Can I put my own tag on wholesale clothing?
Ads by Google