How to Paint Behind the Toilet (Without Removing the Tank)
Painting your toilet should be a priority when taking care of everything that you hold so dear. It leaves your toilet looking attractive and protects the wall from damage. When carrying out this exercise, you may realize that painting behind the toilet is not that easy as it sounds. But that should not make you shy off from getting the job done. With a few preparations, it is easy to carry out the task in a matter of minutes. Here is the way to go about it;
- Get All The Materials You Need
Before you work, get all the materials you need ready. These materials include;
- 3 wide foam brush Paint brush and 1 wide angled brush
- mini roller
- Paint (consider a paint with anti-microbial additives or one with semi-gloss or high-gloss finishes
- Drop cloth
- Heavy duty garbage bag
- Painters mask
- Painters tape
- Carry Out The Prep Work
After assembling all the material, clean the area and ensure it is sparkling clean.
You will notice that behind the toilet is the dirtiest area of your washroom. It will not be a surprise coming across a lot of dusts, spider nets or insects. You can begin the painting job before cleaning this place. If need be, you can use water and detergent to ensure the place is clean. After which you should leave the place to dry.
Using the heavy garbage bag cover the toilet. Also, cover the floor of the toilet using drop cloths so that you don’t mess them with paint. Apply the painters tape round the garbage bag at the base. Pay special attention to the garbage to ensure no area exposes the toilet to the paint.
It is important to ensure that the room is well ventilated. Remove any curtains, floor rugs, and bath and hand towels and open the windows. To ensure you don’t inhale the paint fumes have your painters mask on.
- Application of the Primer and Paint
Before you apply the paint, it is good that you apply the interior primer paint. It ensures successful paint adhesion. Your paint will stick for long if you apply the primer first. Here is how you do it;
- Use mini roller to apply primer behind the toilet. It is an excellent tool use as it makes the work easier. While using it, ensure that you get to the covered side of the tank as much as possible.
- After that, swap to using 3 wide-foam brush. Load one side of the brush with the primer. When you get behind the toilet, let the side loaded with the primer come into contact with the wall. Apply the primer in small strokes.
- To ensure that you undertake detailed work around pipe areas, use the 1-angled paint brush to apply the primer.
- Then after that, leave the primer to dry before you apply the paint. The amount it takes for the primer to dry depends on the humidity and moisture content of your bathroom. Also, it depends on the brand you use.
- Once you feel that the primer has dried up it is time you apply the paint. The process is quite easy and straightforward. You just need to apply the steps we have outline when applying the primer.
- After that, allow the paint to dry. To reduce the amount of time it takes for the paint to dry, ensure that your bathroom is well ventilated.
- When the paint is dry you can remove the dry cloth on the surface and uncover the toilet.
- Your toilet must be looking super awesome.
Tips: Use different mini roller and brushes when applying the paint or clean them after applying primer. In areas where it will be impossible to reach behind the toilet using the mini roller consider using Stick and Rag Method. It is simple to undertake the process. Then, take a painting stick or a piece of wood. You can also take a rag and wrap it around the painters stick.
Let one side of the rag be covered with paint. Slide the stick behind the toilet back and forth applying the paint. Do this repeatedly until the area is completely painted to your satisfaction. Only use this method in areas where mini roller is ineffective.
How do you move a toilet to paint?
How do you paint a bathroom in one day?
- Lock the toilet stop to disconnect the tank from the main water supply.
- Move to the bottom of the tank and pull the water hose.
- Extract the tank from the toilet and start the paint job.
- After removing it, apply colors on the wall with the mini roller.
How do you paint in between tight spaces?
Do you need primer to paint bathroom?
- Option 1: Mini Roller. Mini rollers are a pro painter’s secret weapon.
- Option 2: Paint Pads. Paint pads are another great option for reaching behind the toilet.
- Option 3: Paint-Behind Brush.
Do bathrooms need special paint?
What finish paint to use in bathroom?
Is it OK to use eggshell paint in bathroom?
Is there a waterproof paint for bathrooms?
Satin is more durable and shinier than eggshell and is ideal for a bathroom. It’s also easy to clean. Use it for the walls, ceiling, and even the trim, because many satin finishes are tougher than they once were. Semi-gloss is even tougher and a cinch to clean.
What colors make a small bathroom look bigger?
Eggshell and satin sheens are recommended for a bathroom doesn’t get too much use — like a powder room or guest bathroom.
How can I make my small bathroom look luxurious?
What color should you not paint your bathroom?
What colors are trending for bathrooms?
What’s the best color to paint a small bathroom?
Is Gray a good color for a bathroom?
- Black and white.
- Green bathroom paint colors.
- Shades of gray.
- Gray with touches of color.
- Raw and beige colors.
- Blue bathroom wall paint colors.
- Red bathroom color trends.
- Orange bathroom colors.
What is the most popular paint color for bathrooms?
What is the most relaxing color for a bathroom?
Ads by Google