Chromebooks are very fast becoming some of the best selling laptops. The run on Chrome OS which is very different to those of Mac OS and windows. Here I am going to walk you through the process of rebooting. Both soft and hard reboots.
A soft reboot is simply turning off your Chromebook and then turning it back on again. There are three ways to perform a soft reboot on your Chromebook:
- Click on the right in the bottom right hand corner, click on the power icon. This will turn off the Chromebook, To turn it back on press the power key on the keyboard.
- Again on the bottom right hand side of the screen, click on the time. Now select sign out, once you have signed out, click on the option that says ‘Shut Down’, as the name suggests it will shut down the Chromebook. To turn it back on and complete the reboot, again press the power button.
- Third, but the least recommended method is turning it off simply by holding down the power key until it turns off. This is not advisable because it will not save any unsaved work and could also corrupt and ongoing updates or downloads. Other methods will at least prompt you if you want to save any unsaved work. As with the other methods, to turn it back on, press the power key again.
TIP – Before you factory reset, unless you want to completely wipe all the files (because of a virus for example) you will want to make sure you have backed up all files you are wishing to keep.
There are two methods to hard reboot your Chromebook. The first method and probably the simplest is the following. Sign out of your profile, when at the log in page, press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R. Select restart. A box will appear, when it does select ‘Powerwash’ and then click continue. Follow the steps and you will have performed a hard reboot on your Chromebook. The next thing it will prompt is for the new owner to sign in to their Google Account.
TIP – Hard reboots can take some time as there may be a large number of files it has to clear before it turns back on. Give it some time and it will be okay.
For the second method, sign into your Chromebook profile. In the bottom right hand corner, click on the time. Now on the Settings cog icon. Scroll all the way down the settings. You will notice a piece of text saying ‘Advanced’ you want to the click this as it opens up the advanced settings. There is a section titled ‘Powerwash’, select that and click the resart option. A box will appear, in which you want to click continue. Follow the steps that comes next and then the next time it turns on you will be prompted to sign into your Google account and set up the Chromebook as new.
Where is the Chromebook reset button?
Most Chromebooks don’t have a dedicated ‘reset‘ button (some provide other options we’ll cover in a moment) the default method is to hold the ‘refresh’ button and tap the power button.
How do I reset my school Chromebook?
- Sign out of your Chromebook.
- Press and hold Ctrl + Alt + Shift + r.
- Select Restart.
- In the box that appears, select Powerwash. Continue.
- Follow the steps that appear and sign in with your Google Account.
- Once you’ve reset your Chromebook:
How do you restart a crashed Chromebook?
Other ways to hard reset
- Turn off your Chromebook.
- Remove the battery, then put it back in.
- Turn on your Chromebook.
How do I start my Chromebook in recovery mode?
What will I lose if I powerwash my Chromebook?
How do you get to the boot menu on a Chromebook?
Why would a Chromebook not turn on?
Can you boot a Chromebook from USB?
Pressing Ctrl+D at the screen with the red exclamation mark on startup will take you to your Chrome OS install but pressing Ctrl+L will take you to the BIOS screen to boot from your USB drive. Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 at the Chrome OS login screen.
Do Chromebooks have a BIOS?
How do you boot a Chromebook offline?
What is F2 on a Chromebook?
What does the F7 key do?
How do I turn off Fn key on Chromebook?
- Click the Settings panel in the bottom right corner of your Chromebook screen.
- In the resulting Settings menu, choose Settings.
- Scroll down to the Device section and click Keyboard Settings.
- Check the Treat Top-Row Keys as Function Keys checkbox.
- Click OK.
What key is Fn?
How do you undo a Chromebook key without breaking it?
Which button is F5 on Chromebook?
Ads by Google