Grease is a part of life, whether it is in the kitchen due to oils and butter, or in the garage while tending to your favorite road partner, or anywhere around the house with an element of lubrication. And it is very common to have some of that grease on your shirt and become a stain and a laundry nightmare for a few people.
Follow these steps to remove grease stains:
- Household Remedies
Like the lubrication, oil, and grease in your house and workplace, solutions for getting rid of the stains are also scattered around the house. Petty things lying around can act as strong stain removal agents, and a few of them are:
- Baby Powder
This soft, pleasant smelling substance can go a long way to rid your clothing from grease stains.
- Sprinkle the baby powder liberally, so that the stain can be absorbed.
- Later, remove it all using water and detergent.
Rubbing the grease stain with chalk has a similar effect to that of baby powder.
- Other remedies that you may know by yourself.
- Kitchen Tools
The ingredients that help in making your favorite dishes can also play a vital part in removing the stains acquired while preparing the same.
- Baking Soda
- Wetting the stain and cover it with baking soda.
- Later, wipe this off with a damp cloth or sponge.
Take a cloth soaked in equally proportionate parts mixture of water and vinegar and with it wipe the grease stain.
Rub vigorously the grease stain with a mixture of one part salt with four parts alcohol
- Club Soda
Club soda doesn’t only help clean grease stains from pans and grills but also helps in removing the stains from clothes.
- The Classic Methods
When you think of removing stains, a picture of the laundry room and detergent powder comes into mind and that is not wrong, as these tools also are very efficient in stain removal.
- Detergent/Shampoo/Bar Soap
Take the stained cloth, soak it in water and then rub the stain with a toothbrush and wash it off. Aloe Vera gel also is a nice stain softener and thus easily separates its molecules from those of the fabric.
- Petroleum Based Dishwasher
Dishwashers are specifically designed to deal with tough kitchen stains and hence are a good way to rid cloth of grease stains.
- The Chemical Ways
Chemicals to solve any problem should be kept as the last resort as the chances of damage are highest with the use of harsh chemicals. Spot remover sprayed on the stain and then later used with boiling water and detergent is a good way to clean the stain.
- Lighter Fluid or WD-40
These chemicals with their volatile nature and quick mixing abilities bind quickly with the stain particles and make the removal process easier.
Spray the stain with hairspray and allow it to be for 20 minutes with a paper towel between the cloth and the spray. And then wipe the stain and put the cloth in the washing machine.
- The Newer Ways
People through curiosity or by mistake keep on exploring new ways to solve the traditional problems and some non-conventional ways to remove grade stand are
- Shaving Cream
To remove grease stain from your beautiful carpet, try putting shaving cream on the stain, let it dry and then wipe it off with a damp cloth.
- Newspaper or Paper Bag
This is the best way to remove large grease stains from the garage.
- Wet the stain.
- Put on a thick layer of newspaper and then a heavyweight on it. The stain is absorbed into the newspapers.
- The paper ways
As different this method sounds, this might be a little time-consuming idea but it will lead to getting rid of the stain without putting in many efforts.
Newspapers take a bit of a long time but work effectively on stains that are large in size.
- Spread the newspaper in thickness over the spot and soak it by pouring hot water on top and weight it down with a heavy object.
- Wait until it dries out and the stain will be gone too.
- Paper Bags
- Fold a brown paper bag and put it over the stain on the shirt.
- Then, run a hot iron over the paper for 3-4 minutes.
- When you remove it, you’ll see the grease on the paper bag removing it from the shirt.
- Cat Litter
Cat litter is a very weird and effective way to get rid of the grease stain from your shirt. But one must mention that it is a time taking method.
- Start by folding your shirt inside out so that this method works directly and deeply over the stain.
- If the grease stain is still wet, blot it completely with a newspaper first so that there’s no moisture left on the top of the stain.
- Now put on a generous amount of cat litter, so it generously covers the grease stain and let it sit there for 24 hours.
- Once it is done, throw away the cat litter and then wash your shirt in the washing machine.
- In case of non-availability of baby powder, different absorbents such as corn-starch, talcum powder or salt as replacements.
- While wiping off the stain, kindly do so in the direction of fibers of the clothing, so as to not damage it.
- Be sure not to wash the cloth in warm water.
- In absence of tools to get rid of the stains, fix the stains with transparent tape on both sides.
- Adding baking soda to dishwashing liquid can help in removing tough grease stains.
Can you remove a grease stain after drying?
Does WD 40 remove oil stains from clothes?
What is the best homemade stain remover?
Can baking soda and vinegar remove stains?
What is a homemade stain remover?
How does baking soda remove tough stains?
Does vinegar remove wine stains?
To make a pre-treating paste, combine 6 tablespoons of ARM & HAMMER™ Baking Soda with ⅓ cup warm water. Test it on the garment first to check for colorfastness (color bleeding or fading) then rub the paste onto the stain, let dry, then toss in the wash.
What is a good stain remover?
Cleaning Vinegar, which is 20% more acidic than food vinegar, is effective in removing wine stains from carpet. After blotting up as much wine as possible, make a paste of 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup salt or baking soda.
Can toothpaste get rid of stains?
- Best overall: OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover.
- Best on a budget: Fels Naptha Laundry Bar Soap.
- Best eco-friendly: Earth Friendly Stain and Odor Remover Spray.
- Best for dry-clean-only clothes: K2R Spot Remover.
- Best on-the-go: Tide to go.
What is the strongest stain remover?
What is the hardest stain to remove from clothing?
- Best Stain Remover Overall. OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover. OxiClean is, hands down, the absolute best stain remover on the market.
- Runner Up. Spot Shot Professional Instant Carpet Stain Remover.
- Honorable Mention. Mr.
- Also Consider. Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover.
Can all stains be removed?
- Hot Cocoa.
- Permanent Marker.
- Tomato Sauce.
- Grass Stains.
- Red Wine.