Although bees can be of use in your garden for the process of pollination and generating honey. And wasps can also be of some use around your garden as they consume dead insects and also eat flies, but on the other hand, both of them can be a big nuisance and also prove to be a serious threat to the people who are allergic. And there is a possibility that they may even bite you.
- Prevention Must be a Priority
Prevention is always one of the first steps in keeping wasps and bees out of your yard and home. They buzz in and out of the yards of people and then decide to form their home i.e. nests in any spots which are opportune that your home may provide.
- Keep them away by discarding leftovers of the food which may attract bees or wasps.
- Check around your house for any possible holes of rodent and also potential burrows that can make an ideal home for bees and wasps.
- Try to fill the holes by putting some dirt into it.
- Placing some decoys on each of the sides can stop them from moving in.
- Keep in mind that things that are sweet attract wasps, which includes nectar as well as perfumes and lotions.
- Grow Plants which are Wasp and Bee Repelling
As we all know that bees and wasps usually feed on plants, so grow plants which will repel them in order to get red from bees and wasps.
- Plants like thyme citronella, wormwood, thyme citronella, eucalyptus, spearmint serve as natural deterrents.
- Grow these plants in your garden or yard in the particular area which you want to make wasp and bees free.
- Besides their ability to repel insects these plants also add beauty in your garden.
- Use Oil of Peppermint
Not only do bees as well as wasps stay away from the spearmint, but also they don’t seem to like any other type of mint as well, that is the reason why oil of peppermint is one of the best things to apply.
- Besides planting any kind of mint in your mint, you can just add some drops of oil of peppermint.
- Apply it to a pad of cotton and position them strategically near the outside of your house where bees like to build nests.
- Target the spots where you have already discovered the nests (old) in past time and some kinds of wasps and bees build new nests in the very same location again and again.
- A Wasp Repelling Blend of Oil
A research study has found that a blend of clove, essential oils of geranium and lemongrass managed to totally repel worker bees and wasps.
- Try to apply a mixture of few drops of each from all oil in a bottle of spray which is filled with several squirts of soap (dish) and filled with tap water.
- Properly coat all of the areas outside your house, as earlier, and also in a place where bees and wasps are known for building nests, so as to keep them away.
- Change this oil on a regular basis.
- Sugar & Water Bees and Wasp Traps
It may not always be possible for you to easily repel bees and wasps and as a result, you will be forced to opt for trapping them in order to get rid of them. And a sugar and water trap will be the best solution for this.
- These traps will actually work by attracting all the wasps and bees to fly them inside a prepared container which will offer a tempting treat like the water of sugar.
- But they won’t be able to escape once they will be in it.
- You will not be required to buy this trap; you can easily make it on your own in just a few minutes by cutting the apex from a water bottle of 2 liters and then inverting it the inside bottom.
- Once the wasps will enter into the bottle they won’t be able to figure out as to how to get out of it as they will be trapped and ultimately die.
- Detergent Hose Spray
It might be difficult to get rid of bees and wasps easily, but this method has proven to be the most effective in getting rid of them. It is a relatively longer process but is in effective and doesn’t require continuous efforts.
- Mix equal parts of water with equal parts of cloth wash detergent in a basket or tub.
- Create a hole in your tub and fit in the hose pipe in it and fit in the hose spray at the other end of the pipe.
- Wait till the dusk or dawn to use this process as we don’t want to create and pre turbulence for them to escape the nest.
- When it gets dark, start the hose with full pressure and shoot it right in the nest, the detergent will reduce their flying abilities and will make them end up dead in the nest.
- Let it stay there for the night and first thing in the morning remove the nest and tie up with the Plastic bag.
- Underground Nesting
Underground nesting is another way for the bees and the wasps to increase their breeding in your place and grow in numbers. Make sure that you’re able to identify all the exits and entries of the underground nesting.
- Start by filling the underground nest with soapy water, this will destroy their breeding characteristics or whatever of them is there in the hole.
- You can also try by covering the hole with a glass bowl and completely sealing it off leaving no space for oxygen and all.
- Wait for at least four weeks and you’ll either find dead wasps or not wasps at all and then you can seal the hole.
- Prevention is a better option than cure, so make sure to use some liquids which will keep the bees and wasps away from your body.
- Do not allow the bees and wasps to make their nest in your garden only because they are less in number because they can multiply at an alarming rate in a day.
Don’t burn the nests of wasps and bees otherwise there is a possibility that they may attack you.
What smells do bees and wasps hate?
What scent keeps bees away?
How do I keep bees and wasps out of my yard?
- Cucumber. This popular vegetable not only makes a great addition to summer salads, but it also keeps bees and wasps away.
- Basil. Basil is another great choice for your garden that doubles as a kitchen resource and a pest repellent.
- Pitcher Plants.
Do dryer sheets keep wasps away?
Bees and wasps hate the smell of a dryer sheet and will stay far away from it. Spread a few sheets around your back patio or wherever you’re having a get-together to keep the area pest-free.
What can I spray to keep bees away?
- Combine 2 or 3 teaspoons of liquid soap with water in your spray bottle.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to your mixture.
- Add 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to your mixture.
- Spray this around your doors, windows, decks, patios, and so on to keep your outside events buzz-free.
How do I keep bees away from my porch?
How does vinegar get rid of bees and wasps?
White vinegar is a natural and easy alternative to kill wasps. Simply mix a cup of vinegar with a cup of water (or any equal amount) in a spray bottle and carefully spray the offending pests.
Is there an essential oil to keep bees away?
Does bug spray keep bees away?
How do you repel bees without killing them?
- Garlic Spray.