These days most of the professional communication is done over apps like Gmail.
However, Gmail has a limitation that only files up till 25 MB can be attached directly to the mailTo circumvent this problem, you can convert your files into a Zip file and then attach it.
Creating a Zip File
Before you get down to emailing Zip files, you need to first create a Zip folder of the files which you intend to send to someone.
- To create a Zip file, first, locate the group of files or folder which you wish to convert to a Zip format.
- Select the file or folder you wish to convert to Zip format and then right click.
- After right clicking, select the send to option and subsequently choose compressed folder option.
- This will end up creating a new zipped folder with the same name and at the same location.
- You can even send files to an existing Zip file by just dragging them over to the zipped folder.
How to Send a Password Protected Zip File in Gmail?
To protect your privacy, a lot of files give you the option to set a password without which a file cannot be opened.
- Follow the aforementioned procedure to create a Zip file.
- Once the Zip Folder has been created, double click with the left mouse button on the folder to open the ‘Zip Folder Manager’.
- Then proceed to go to the file menu and then search for the additional password option.
- Click on the ‘Add Password’ option than a dialogue box will open prompting you to set a password and after entering the desired password, click on ‘OK’.
- The password protected Zip file thus created can be attached directly to an email by selecting it from the attachments option or dragging it over to the email dialogue box.
How to Send Large Zip Files through Gmail?
If you attempt to attach large files onto an email through Gmail, then you may have to upload these files on Google drive and then send it as a link. This can be tedious and can involve access issues.
- Instead of trying to attach large files directly, try to attach them as a Zip file since Zip files are compressed and smaller in size.
- Select the files which you wish to compress and then hit send to and compressed folder.
- You can directly attach this compressed file to your email and send it to whomever you wish.
- Remember that if the file is above 25MB, you still need to send via ‘Google Drive’, for more details, visit – https://support.google.com/mail/forum/AAAAK7un8RUnAJSyf4k5lk/?hl=en&msgid=BvwDrISczUkJ&gpf=d/msg/gmail/nAJSyf4k5lk/BvwDrISczUkJ. However, the size of the folder usually becomes significantly lesser after you convert it to a Zip file.
- Some files like JPEG files are already pretty compressed so converting them to Zip files will not reduce the size significantly.
- Even if you try to compress encrypted files, they will become unencrypted when they are extracted from the zipped folder.
If you wish to protect the files that you are putting in a compressed folder, then you should add password protection to the Zip folder itself.
How do I attach a Zip file to an email?
- Open the dialog box you normally use to attach files.
- Locate the file you wish to attach.
- Right click the file and choose Add to filename.zip from the WinZip context menu.
- Click the new Zip file to select it.
- Click Open or Insert to attach the Zip file.
How do I send a ZIP file in Gmail without blocking?
- Consider using a different email client.
- Try out the WinZip compression software.
- Edit the file extensions included within the RAR archive.
- Send the RAR as a Google Drive link.
Why can’t I attach a Zip file to an email?
Does Gmail accept zip files?
How do I zip a large file to email?
How do I download a blocked zip file in Gmail?
How do I send large Zip files through Gmail?
How do I download a ZIP file from Gmail to Windows 10?
Winzip is available in Windows default.
- Right-click the ZIP file.
- Click “Extract All.”
- Select a destination for the extracted files.
- Click “Extract”
How do I download a ZIP file from Gmail to my computer?
Can not attach file in Gmail?
- Switch your attachment settings from ‘Advanced attachment features’ to ‘Basic attachment features’ (click Settings and select the General tab to change this setting). Save your changes and try to upload your attachment again.
- Try another browser.
- Disable your proxy.
How do I download and save a zip file?
How do I download a zip file on my computer?
Can a zip file be saved?
When you extract files from a zipped folder, a new folder with the same name is created which contains the files. The compressed (zipped) version also remains. Right-click the zipped folder saved to your computer. Click [Browse] and navigate to where you would like to save the files.
Why can’t I extract a zip file?
A corrupted system file may be the reason why you can’t extract the compressed file. In this case, you would have to run the System File Checker. This tool will be able to identify and replace the damaged files. Let the System File Checker perform its scan.
Why can’t I open a zip file on my computer?
Why can’t I extract ZIP files Android?
How do I unzip a corrupted Zip file?
- Launch WinRAR and navigate to the corrupted archive using the address bar.
- Select the folder and click Repair from the toolbar.
- In the new pop-up window, provide the location for the repaired archive, select the archive type, and click OK.