How to Shrink a Sweater
Cotton and wool are the best materials used by companies to make sweaters. These two materials keep you comfortable in the winter months. Sweaters of different designs, colors, and fabric material give a unique and modern touch to your wardrobe. The human body changes from time to time.
For example, you bought a large size sweater last year but within one year, you have lost weight. Now, you need to shrink your sweater. Knowing the shrinking methods allows you to avoid frustrating situations. It also saves you money since you don’t have to buy a new sweater. We will give different methods to shrink different types of sweaters. Read on!
How to shrink a sweater?
The purpose of shrinking your sweater is to make it fit for winter use. The shrinking method you use depends on the type of fabric of the sweater. For instance, the most popular fabric is cotton, which requires you to apply specific treatment to make it according to your size. If you take care of this fabric, it will remain comfortable.
How to shrink cotton sweaters?
In this section, we will tell you how to shrink sweaters made of cotton. Like angora and wool, cotton is also a natural fiber. However, it responds differently to heat and water than other types of fabrics.
Wash and dry the cotton sweater
Suppose you have bought a new sweater, which is unwashed cotton. You can expose it to heat or wash it in the dry cycle to shrink the sweater down according to your size. Repeated or uncontrolled washing in warm water can lead to too much shrinkage.
However, when you carefully use the washer and dryer, it allows you to shrink the sweater accurately and make it wearable. It is important to wash the new cotton sweater inside-out using the washing machine.
Don’t forget to set the machine on the hot water cycle. You can use a detergent. We recommend using bleach-free detergent. This is important when it comes to keeping the colors of the sweater bright. Otherwise, the bleach will make it look dull and old.
Boil Cotton Sweaters
- Another method to shrink your cotton sweater is by boiling it. The method involves heating the sweater in the same manner as you used the washing machine. However, this method is a bit difficult. Boiling water, in general, restores the cotton fibers and make them stretchable. The boiling-water method is a great way to shrink your sweater and make it clean from stains.
- To do this, first, you need a large metal pot. Put some cold water in it. Then place the pot on the stovetop. Leave it there for some time and you will see that the water is boiling. Next, put your sweater in the large pot that contains the boiling water. Let the sweater soak the water for a few minutes.
- Once done, you need to remove the sweater carefully with the tongs. Make sure you have all the protective gear on to avoid burning.
- After taking out the sweater, place it in the dryer or allow it to get dry in the natural sunlight. If you are using a dryer, make sure you set the dryer on high heat.
Use Iron to shrink your sweater
This method seems interesting. Although using the boiling-water method along with the dryer is a great way to shrink your shirt, sometimes, you want a perfect fit. You can do this by using the iron. Let us tell you how you can shape your sweater using the iron method.
Steam iron is not only convenient but also a portable application to shrink your sweater. You can use it to manage the drying process. Also, if you don’t have an iron available, you can use the hairdryer to get the job done.
Although this is a safe method, we recommend you wear long pants, gloves, and a long-sleeved shirt. Next, drop your sweater in the boiling water and leave it there for a few minutes. Use tongs to remove the sweater from the boiling water container. Now, wring the sweater over the sink so that you remove all the excess water.
After doing this, you need to turn “on” the iron and set it on high heat. Make sure you turn “OFF” the steam. The next step is to place the sweater on the ironing board. You can use any flat surface. Use pillowcases or clean towels to prevent the sweater to have direct contact with your iron. Start ironing your sweater and continue until it is dry.
How to Shrink Wool sweater?
In this section, we will tell you the method that you can use to shrink your wool sweater. We will tell you the best methods that you can use to simply shrink your wool sweater and make it fit according to your size. Continue reading!
- The first method to shrink a wool sweater is “hot wash.” Sheep wool or any other similar fabric reacts to heat. Compared to cotton, the wool has a different response to the heating application.
- Wool does not require a lot of heat for shrinkage. You can quickly burst it in the hot water cycle using your washing machine. Next, dry the wool sweater in a dryer that runs on a low-heat cycle. This allows you to control the process of shrinking.
- Precautions are important. Using a washing machine is the best method to shrink your sweater and other types of clothing. So, first, you need to place the sweater in the pillowcase. This allows you to keep it from snagging.
- The shrinkage of a wool sweater requires you to run a 10 minutes hot-water cycle. Once done, take out your sweater and put in in your dryer for about 20 minutes. Make sure the dryer is set on a low-heat cycle.
- Check your sweater every few minutes and when it is according to your size, take it out from the dryer and air dry it. Otherwise, the dryer can cause too much shrinkage.
Reshape Wet Wool
The best thing about wool fabric is that you can easily manipulate it, especially when wool is wet. So much so, we wool can stretch and shrink – however, this depends on the type of treatment you apply.
So, you can use this characteristic of the amazing wool fabric and take advantage of it. For example, you can turn the shapeless yarn into a good fashion statement. To restore the sweater, it is important that you remain patient because there is no room for mistakes.
The method is simple and easy. You just need to get the sweater wet and reshape it. Fill your sink with cold water. Then, add a few drops of detergent. Next, soak your wool sweater for 10 minutes and then rinse it in cold water.
Avoid wringing the sweater because it can lead to uneven shrinkage. On the other hand, you can lay the wet wool sweater flat on the towel and then roll it to expel extra water. Again, you need to put protective gloves and work gently the wool to push the fabric together in the area, which you want to shrink. After completing this step, you need to let your wool sweater dry on a towel.
Another important thing you need to remember is that you can unshrink your wool sweater. This, in particular, comes in handy when there is too much shrinkage. You can’t lose your favorite wool sweater. Moreover, if the fibers are tightly woven together, then you can’t do anything about it. You can either throw your sweater in a trash bin or donate it.
Wrapping up, the most popular sweater materials are cotton and wool. Both are stylish and warmer when it comes to fashion in winter and protecting yourself from cold respectively. When you have an effective method for how to shrink your sweater, you will have peace of mind.
In this article, we have shown you effective methods to shrink a cotton and wool sweater and resize them according to your size. Although there are various methods we have mentioned the best ones because to get the best is key.
We have given you effective methods to shrink both cotton and wool sweaters. These methods are safe but still, we recommend you wear protective gear. It is because nothing is more important than your health and safety.
How do you make a sweater smaller?
How do you shrink clothes that are too big?
How do you slightly shrink a wool sweater?
- Dampen the item. Make sure it’s equally damp all over if you want it to shrink evenly.
- Use a tumble dryer. Put it in the tumble dryer and set the heat to medium.
- Keep your eyes on it. Every four or five minutes, take a look to see how it’s doing.
- Act quickly.