The Hemorrhoids are nothing but the bulged veins seen at the base area of the rectum.
The swelling of the veins at the rectum is also known as pilesThere are a lot of home remedies that can be tried to ease the itching in the anus areaThese remedies can help in preventing the condition from getting worseThey can help in preventing constipation as well.
Ice Pack Application
A very good remedy to relieve the inflammation and the pain of the hemorrhoid is to apply ice packs. The swelling will get temporarily reduced on the application of cold or ice pack. This method can be used when you sense the flaring up of hemorrhoid.
- The ice cubes must be wrapped up in a towel. This is done to prevent any skin damage.
- The pack needs to be placed on the affected area for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- The same process needs to be done every hour until you feel a reduction in pain and inflammation.
Warm Water Bath
Just like the cold pack application, a warm water bath can also do the trick. It can work on the affected anus area to reduce the swelling and the irritation that is caused by the hemorrhoids. There are some people who add a few ingredients to the water to enjoy the effective treatment for hemorrhoid itching.
- Fill the bathtub up to a few inches with warm water. The water must be able to cover your bottom area when you stretch in the tub.
- The area must be soaked in this warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- This method must be repeated three to four times a day.
- The warm water tub treatment should also be given after every bowel movement.
- Adding a cup of apple cider vinegar or Epsom salts will help in reducing the itching in the swollen area.
- Pat the area gently using a dry towel afterward.
Use Itch Relieving Creams
There are medicated creams, lotions or gels available as an over the counter medicine for hemorrhoid itching. These topical creams or lotions can be applied to the affected area to reduce the pain and inflammation. Once this subsides, the itching will start to ease. It is okay to apply the topical creams or gels as many times as you want.
- It is better to use creams or lotions that have aloe vera content in it.
- Avoid creams that have steroids in it as it can damage the tissues on prolonged use.
- Take enough amount of the gel in your hand and apply on the affected area. Keep it on for about 10 minutes and you can wipe it off with a towel.
- Use it at least 5 to 6 or more times a day until you get relief from itching.
The coconut oil is a natural ingredient that can be used to greatly reduce hemorrhoid itching. It works as a natural moisturizer that will calm the affected area and reduce the swelling and irritation. As it is a natural product, you can use it as many times as you want.
- Take a generous amount of coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Dip your second and third finger in the oil and apply it on the affected area. Be sure to apply to the troubled area.
- You can even dip a cotton ball in the oil and apply it on the itching or swollen area. After a few applications, you will feel a reduction in the need to scratch.
Using Herbal Astringent
There are a few herbal astringents like witch hazel that are very effective in treating itching in the skin. This will also help in reducing the swelling and the inflammation in the affected areas. The witch hazel can be applied on hemorrhoid to enjoy its effects.
- It is very important to cleanse the affected area thoroughly before applying the herbal astringents on the hemorrhoids.
- The witch hazel is available in liquid form. It can be applied directly on the hemorrhoids.
- There are even certain anti-itch wipes and soaps that contain the witch hazel as the main ingredient.
- A cotton pad should be soaked with the astringent first. Then, it has to be applied on the itching area in your anus.
- You can repeat this process after every bowel movement. But, make sure the area is completely cleansed before applying this lotion.
It is not advisable for people suffering from hemorrhoid itch to use toilet paper after letting out the bowels. It might cause more irritation. We recommend replace the toilet paper with quality wipes. This will help in getting the area cleaned without much irritation and itching.
- There are a lot of soothing wipes available as over the counter products that can be used by hemorrhoids patients.
- These wipes will be made using soothing ingredients like witch hazel, aloe vera, etc.
- You can apply these anti-hemorrhoid wipes on the affected area as many times as you want to get rid of itching.
Use Loose Fitting Clothes
If you are using tight-fitting pants and underwear that are made with polyester, then they must be replaced with a breathable fabric like cotton. You should never wear tight clothes when you have hemorrhoids as it might cause further itching and irritation.
- Using cotton underwear is the best advice to follow for all people suffering from hemorrhoid itching.
- This will help in easing the symptoms.
- Make it a point to change the underwear at least twice a day during peak summers.
- It is advised to not wash the undergarments with fabric softeners or heavy detergents and soaps. It could cause further irritation in the affected area.
Apply Essential Oils
There are a lot of essential oils that will provide a soothing and healing effect on hemorrhoid affected anus. These oils might help in reducing the itching. It can sometimes even get rid of hemorrhoids.
- Add two or four drops of the soothing essential oils like lavender, avocado, etc., to any base oil like almond or coconut oil.
- Mix these two oils well and apply it on the affected area using a cotton swab or ball.
- You can even use a mixture of two to three effective essential oils to help in reducing itching faster.
- Lavender oil is found to be very effective in getting rid of pain, inflammation, and itching.
- Avocado oil will offer a soothing effect to the area. It also acts as a moisturizer and can help heal faster.
- Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
Apply Aloe Vera and Cold Compresses
The herb Aloe Vera has been found to be very effective in dealing with inflammation, rough skin, itching, and acts as a moisturizer. In the case of Hemorrhoids, it not just helps shrink them, but also provides relief as cold compresses do.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of Aloe Vera help soothe the inflammation around hemorrhoid. It leaves a cold sensation around the skin too.
- Try to use pure Aloe Vera from the Aloe Vera plant in your garden. It is risk-free.
- Any creams with Aloe Vera are specifically unavailable. So, do not mix it with other creams.
Eat Psyllium Husk
This is a dietary supplement and helps just like any other food rich in fiber content. It is also similar to the banana. It increases your fiber intake and softens your stools for easier passage.
- Do note that, do not take too much of it. It can lead to opposite reactions like gas and stomach cramping.
- As per doctors, it will not immediately affect the hemorrhoid areas locally but will regulate the bowel movements. Thus, the inflammation will not be further enhanced.
- Drink plenty of water. Do not hesitate to drink up to six liters a day, especially before the toilet.
- It is very important to use only natural topical applications on the hemorrhoids.
Care must be taken to first cleanse the affected area after a bowel movement or before applying any of the above said remedies to treat hemorrhoid itching.