Of course, wallpaper could add immense style and sense to the wall. You can hang different types of wallpaper to your wall. But, when the wallpaper becomes old or damaged, then you need to take off the wallpaper for sure. The reason is that the old wallpaper does not go to add any look to your wall.
The below-mentioned points will help you take off your old wallpaper in some minutes.
- Use Tape for Protection
Once before you start removing the wallpaper, you need to protect the things in the room for sure.
- You are going to use water and soap to remove the wallpaper, so you should protect other things from the water and soap.
- You should make sure to use the painters’ tape to cover trim and molding wholly.
- Use a cloth to cover the floor to safeguard the finishing of the floor.
- Peel it
At times, your old wallpaper might be starting to pull off from the wall.
- Not the entire wallpaper will be pulled out from the wall. You need to pull off the whole wallpaper using your hands without water.
- If some portions of the wallpaper are sticking on the wall, then you can use a knife to scrape it off.
- Moisture it
You can remove the whole wallpaper either you peel it by hand or water. But if it is still tough to remove the paper, then you need to spray the water on the wall.
- Spraying the warm water on the wall will assist the paper to separate from the wall.
- You can use a generic spray bottle for spraying. If you really want to speed up the process, then you need to use the vacuum sprayer.
- If it is a complex process, then you can reckon using the steamer. Ahead using the steamer, you need to cover the floors with a plastic or a cloth and gently sprits the whole wall.
- Scrape the Extras
Once spraying is done, you need to let the water soak in for a few minutes.
- After some minutes, you can begin to scrape off the paper.
- You can use the knife to scrap the wallpaper either from up to down or left to right, according to what is easier for you.
- If you are still experiencing the trouble, you can spray the water on the wall as many times as required to remove the paper.
- You should not scrape the wall as it brings issues in the future.
- You need to scrape layer by layer without bringing any damages to the wall.
- Wash the Wall
Once the wallpaper is removed, then you need to move onto wash your wall to take off the paste or primer.
- You can use a damp sponge to clean the wall many times.
- No matter what, but you need to make sure to remove the old paste or primer on the wall. If not, you will have issues when you are trying to re-paste the wallpaper or paint your wall.
- Smooth the Wall
Even the small specks of paste can cause cracks on your next wall treatment, so you need to take off the paste thoroughly.
- If you did not remove the entire paste, when you paint the wall, the paint will crackle or flake for sure. Or the wallpaper that is applied on the wall will fail to stick accurately or bring air bubbles.
- To get rid of the issue, you should apply gel stripper to smoothen the specs of paste.
- Refresh the Wall
Once the wall is cleaned and washed, you need to make it ready for the new wallpaper.
- No matter, whether or not you are going to hang the new wallpaper, but you have got the reward for your hard work – right?
- If it is needed to be, you can coat the single layer of paint on the wall to refresh the wall.
It is enough to just follow the above-mentioned steps properly without understating or overstating the process. Keep all the needed materials on the table.