You might want to turn off the Auto Renewal on your Xbox One subscription if you aren’t playing regularly or want to unsubscribe for any other reason as you will get charged automatically when your subscription expires.
Here is a simple step by step guide on how to turn off Auto-Renewal on Xbox One:
Log on to the Official Microsoft Website
You can’t turn off Auto-Renewal directly from your Xbox console. You need to log onto your Microsoft account on your computer.
- Log onto https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/using any web browser like Chrome or Firefox on your computer.
- Click on the Sign In icon on the upper right corner of the page.
- Access your account by entering your E-mail and password.
Click on my Microsoft Account
Once you are logged into your Microsoft account, you need to click on the My Microsoft account link.
- Click on the user icon which displays your name on the top right corner of the page.
- In the drop-down menu, you will see the My Microsoft account link below your name and email.
- Click on My Microsoft Account to view your account details.
Access the Payments and Billing Page
All the details of your Microsoft subscriptions and payments are mentioned in the Payment section.
- In the middle of the page, you will see a credit card icon and the words Payments and billing.
- Click Manage to proceed to the payments page.
- Make sure to use a computer when you log onto the Microsoft Website. Some of the functions may not be compatible on a phone.
Click on Xbox Live Gold Subscription Link
All of your Microsoft subscriptions along with your selected mode of payment will be displayed on the page.
- On the right side of the page, you will see the heading “Subscriptions covered”.
- This will list down all of your active Microsoft subscriptions.
- Scroll down to find the Xbox Live Gold link and click on it.
- It will direct you to the Services and Subscriptions page.
Manage your Xbox Live Gold Payment and Subscription
You can cancel your subscriptions or disable the Auto Renewal for any of your Microsoft services on the Services and Subscriptions page.
- Look for the Xbox Live Gold section and click on Manage.
- You will see all your payment details for your Xbox Live Gold subscription like the payment method, the date of subscription, the amount paid, and the recurring billing details.
- To turn off the Auto Renewal, click on Change at the right side of the page and select the option Turn off recurring billing.
Confirm cancellation – you have to give confirmation for turning off the auto renewal of the subscription.
- Once you click on the Turn off recurring billing option, you will receive a pop-up message on your screen to confirm your cancellation of Auto Renewal.
- Click on Confirm Cancellation to finalize your cancellation.
- Remember, once you cancel or turn off Auto Renewal for your subscription, you will lose access to all your previous benefits of the service once your subscription expires. For more details you can visit this Xbox Support Page.
In case you want to cancel your subscription immediately instead of waiting for your current subscription to end, you should follow the given steps.
- On your Xbox Live Gold subscriptions page, click on the Change button on the right side of the page.
- Instead of selecting Turn off recurring billing, click on the Cancel option.
- You will receive a pop-up message on your screen to confirm your cancellation. Click on Confirm Cancellation.
- You will now be immediately unsubscribed from your current subscription and will receive a partial refund if you are eligible for it.
In case you are not able to turn off auto-renewal or cancel your subscription using the above steps, try the following methods:
- You won’t be able to turn off recurring billing if the payment method is not updated. To check if that is the case, click on Services and Subscriptions.
- You will be able to see if a payment method needs to be updated. To fix this, click on the Payment options and manage your payment method.
- If your subscription is prepaid, it’ll end on the expiration date and you won’t have to make changes. To check if your subscription is prepaid, check the expiry date of your subscription.
- Next to the expiration date, paid with prepaid card will be mentioned if your subscription is prepaid. It is to be noted that if your subscription is prepaid, you can’t cancel or turn off recurring billing.
- In order to get full details of the cancellation policy, go to the Microsoft Store Terms of Sale on the official Microsoft website.
- You won’t be able to turn off Auto-Renewal directly from the console. However, you can change the payment method on the console.
- To turn off Auto Renewal for any other Microsoft subscriptions, you can use the same method. Click on the subscription you want to manage in the Payment section and follow the same steps given above.
- Keep in mind that when you turn off Auto Renewal, your subscription will remain active until the end of the subscription term.
- In case of any difficulty, you can browse the Help section of the official Microsoft website to guide you through the steps.
Canceling auto-renewal will cut your access to Xbox Live Gold services such as going forward, multiplayer, Party Chat, and previously obtained free titles via Games with Gold will no longer be accessible to you.