A GPS device is one of the most important devices that you need to install in your car to get the right direction to a place or a restaurant. One of the most popular is the Garmin GPS and it always needs to undergo updates in order to offer you the correct direction to a destination.
The following are the steps involved in updating the maps on the Garmin GPS device.
- Create MyGarmin Account
If you are using the Garmin GPS device for the very first time, then you need to know that it needs to undergo regular updates to get correct information about the routes and streets that under constant change. You need to first register for a Garmin account to update the map.
- Visit the www.garmin.com website.
- Look for the ‘create new account’ option and click on it.
- You will be asked to fill in a few details. Make sure that you enter the required fields correctly.
- Once done, click the Next button.
- There will be details of the different types of communication that you would like to receive. You can choose these options by clicking the checkbox next to them.
- If you want to not choose any of these options, then choose the do not subscribe option.
- Once you have completed the registration, your new account will be created.
- Register the Garmin GPS Device
- Visit the www.my.garmin.com website and then log in to your Garmin account.
- Connect the Garmin device to your computer using the USB cable.
- Choose the register option from the Home tab and select the Garmin device that you would like to register from the options given.
- Make sure that you have chosen all the recommended options and then finally press the Continue button.
- There will be on-screen prompts that will lead you to complete the registration process easier.
- Downloading Free Map Updates
- Log on to the Garmin account by visiting the www.my.garmin.com website.
- There will be notifications seen on the device screen that will show the free updates that are available.
- Click on the ‘Free updates’ option and then choose the updates that you would like to download.
- Press the download button for that option and then wait until the updates get installed. The time taken will depend on the number of updates you are making.
- Once the installation is complete, you get to access the free Garmin maps on the device.
- After you have completed the free updates, you need to disconnect the device from your computer.
- You now need to reinstall the Garmin device in your car and start using it to get the right directions.
- Buying Garmin Map Updates
- Log in to Garmin account on your computer and visit the ‘my maps’ section.
- You will get details of the installed maps and the updates that you need to buy for your registered device.
- You just need to click on the update available to check out the various updates to buy for your device.
- If you are interested in getting one or two map updates, then click on it and it will be added to the cart.
- Once you have chosen the updates that you need to buy, press on the Cart option to get details of the updates and the total payment that you need to make to buy them.
- Just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the transaction and once done, you get free access to download these updates on your Garmin device. This is done by connecting the device to the computer using a USB cable.