How to use iCloud Storage
As soon as you set up your iCloud account, you automatically get 5GB free storage. This space helps you to store your documents, mail, photos, and videos in the iCloud photos, iPhone, and iPad backups/ iCloud drive. To set up your iCloud storage, proceed to the following steps…..
Set up iCloud Storage for iPhone and iPad
- Ensure the iOS device that you’re using is running the current version of iOS or iPadOS.
- Navigate to your “Settings” application icon found on your device home screen.
- Next, tap on the “General” under the “Settings” menu.
- Then tap on the “Software update” and find out if there is any software update available. If there is an update or updates, ensure you download the updates before proceeding to the next step.
- Sign in to iCloud.
- Head to the “Settings”.
- Then sign in to your device using your Apple ID.
- Doing so activates the iCloud automatically.
- Check your settings and make appropriate adjustments.
- Navigate back to the “Settings” applications, tap on your name, and select “iCloud.”
- Having done that, select the apps that you’d like to sync to your iCloud account. Such applications include Contacts, Photos, Calendars, and the third-party applications that you’d like to sync with your iCloud account.
- Finally, set up the iCloud in other iOS and iPadOS to enable you to keep up to date content everywhere.
Set up iCloud Storage for Mac
- Ensure your Mac is using the latest version of macOS. To confirm that, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Apple” menu found on the upper part of the screen.
- After that, click on the “About This Mac.”
- Having done that, head to the “Software Update” section and check if there is any update required.
If you’re using older MacOS such as MacOS or earlier versions, click on the Apple menu and then click on the “App Store” and check if there is any update notification. If there is, download and install the updates first before proceeding to the next step.
- Sign in to iCloud.
- After that, exit and navigate back to the Apple menu and then click on the “System Preferences”.
- Next, click on the Apple ID. However, if you’re using macOS Mojave or the earlier versions, you should click on the “iCloud”.
- Enter your Apple ID and log in. By doing that, your iCloud storage account gets activated automatically.
- Check and adjust your iCloud settings.
- Click on the Apple menu located at the top bar and click on the “System Preferences” when the list opens.
- After that, click on the Apple ID. In case you’re using macOS Mojave or older version, click on the iCloud instead.
- Lastly, choose the essential apps such as Photos, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, and iCloud Drive that you’d wish to use with the iCloud.
Set up your iCloud Storage Using Windows PC
- Download and install the iCloud application for windows PC.
- Launch the iCloud app and sign in using the same Apple ID that you’re applying for iOS and iPadOS.
- Select the iCloud services that you’d like to use and then click on the “Apply” button to save your changes.
Note: Apart from having free storage, you can also create or buy more space. Premium storage starts at $0.79 for 50GB per month. Also, you can purchase 200GB or 2TB and share it with your family members.
After some time, you would wish to view your used iCloud storage and the space left for iCloud backups. And that’s why these precise steps come in handy. Follow the steps to check your storage status.
Check your storage status using an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch:
- For iOS 1o.3 and later versions, go to the “Settings”.
- After that, tap on your name, and then tap on “iCloud”.
- Finally, tap on the “iCloud Storage” or “Manage Settings”.
Check your iCloud storage status on Mac
- Navigate and click on the Apple menu located on the upper part of the screen and then click on the “System Preferences.”
- Next, click on the “Apple ID” and click on the “iCloud”.
- Lastly, click on the “Manage”.
Check your iCloud storage on Windows PC
- Locate the iCloud application icon.
- Then, double-click on the iCloud to launch it.
- Sign in using your Apple ID and view the storage properties.
Alternatively, you can navigate to iCloud.com and log in to iCloud using your Apple ID.
Create more space in iCloud
Since iCloud offers only 5GB storage for free, which is far much less as compared to the volume of data that you’d want to be backed up, you should create more space for back up. You can do that by deleting most of the content that you no longer use to free up more space vital data backup. Before you delete anything, ensure you make a copy. This is the best way to create more storage space in iCloud.
Manage iCloud Backup
As soon as you set up iCloud in iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, most of the apps in these devices will always make automatic backups, thereby running out the iCloud space pretty fast. Therefore, you should disable some of the non-essential apps from backing up in iCloud. To choose which apps to back up on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, follow the steps below.
For iOS 10.3 and later versions, go to the “Settings” app, tap on your “name,” and then tap on the “iCloud”.
If your iPhone is using iOS 11 or later, tap on the “Manage Storage” and then tap on the “Backup”. In case you’re using iOS version 10.3, then tap on the “iCloud Storage” and then tap on the “Manage Storage”.
Having done that, find the name of your device and tap on it.
Switch off all the applications that you don’t want to back up under the “Choose Data to Back” section.
Finally, select the “Turn off & Delete” option. When you confirm this option, the apps will no longer back up in iCloud and all the backups associated with such apps removed from the iCloud.
If you find some apps that backup automatically and you cannot turn their backup off, always follow the steps below to delete their backup in iCloud and turn them off. This procedure works well for iOS 10.3 and later versions.
How to delete backups and turn off iCloud backups
Launch the “Settings” application, and then tap on your device “name” and then click on the “iCloud”.
For iOS11, tap on the “Manage Storage” and then tap on the “Backups”. If your iPhone is running iOS 10.3, tap on the “iCloud Storage” and then tap on the “Manage Storage.”
After that, tap on your device name.
Next, tap on the “Delete Backups”.
Finally, tap on the “Turn Off & Delete”.
When you delete a backup, the iCloud backup for that app is also turned off automatically on your phone.
To delete iCloud backup on Mac
- Head to the Apple menu and then navigate and click on the “System Preferences”.
- Next, click on the “Apple ID” and click on the “iCloud”.
- Click on the “Manage” and then click on the “Backups”.
- Choose one of the backups and click on the “Delete” button.
- Click on the “Delete” when asked to confirm your action. Doing so also turns off the device backup.
To delete iCloud backup on Windows
- Launch iCloud on Windows and then click on the “Storage”.
- From the items listed, click on one of the backups.
- Then, click on the “Delete”. Confirm whether you want to delete the backups, respond by clicking on the “Delete” to finish the process. When you delete iCloud backup, it removes all the data and turns back up off automatically.
How to Use iCloud Drive
iCloud Drive allows you to store your data securely and organize them according to your chosen filters. In addition to that, iCloud drive allows you access to your stored data in all on computers and others using the same Apple ID associated with the account. If you’d wish to enable your iCloud Drive on iPhone and iPad, use the procedure below.
- Tap on the “Settings” app icon on your iPhone or IPad.
- After that, locate your Apple ID and tap on it then tap on the “iCloud”.
- Having done that, scroll downwards and locate the “On/Off” button. Turn the switch to “On” mode for your iCloud to backup to the iCloud drive.
Note: No data would get backed up to the iCloud Drive if the switch next to iCloud is in the “Off” position. Therefore, ensure the button is turned on.
How to Create More Space in iCloud Drive
You can create more space in your iCloud drive-by, either deleting the files that you no longer or by subscribing to a premium storage plan. Fortunately, the package is easily affordable and starts with 500GB at $99.
Buy More Space
To buy more iCloud drive space, follow the steps below.
- Tap on the “Settings” application icon on your home screen to launch the app.
- After that, tap on your Apple ID banner and then tap on the “iCloud”.
- Next, tap on the “Manage Storage”.
- Then tap on the “Change Storage Plan”. Up to this point, you should know the best plan that fully suits your needs. Now, proceed to the next step to buy the plan that impresses you.
- Tap on the storage plan that will work best for you. Then, tap on the “Buy” button to make your purchase. After that, log in with your Apple ID to authorize the purchase.
Organize Files On iCloud Drive On iPhone and iPad
- Launch your device “Settings” application.
- Locate the “Browse” option located at the bottom of the screen and tap on it.
- Find the “iCloud Drive” under the “Location” section.
- Having done that, now tap on any folder to open it.
- In the top-right corner of your iPhone or iPad screen, tap on the “Select” and then tap on the file that you’d wish to move.
- After that, tap on the “Move” button found at the bottom of the screen.
- Having selected the files to move to another folder, now select the destination folder of the selected files. Then, tap on the “Move” button located in the upper-right corner of the screen. You can use the technique to keep your data in a more organized manner.
Delete Files on iCloud Drive On iPhone and iPad using Files App
- Tap on the “Files” application to launch it.
- After that, navigate to the bottom of your screen and tap on the “Browse” option.
- After that, navigate to the “Locations” section and tap on the “iCloud Drive”.
- Tap on the folder containing the file you want to delete to open the folder.
- Next, check on the upper right corner of the screen and tap on the “ Select” button.
- With that done, tap on the files that you want to delete to select them.
- Finally, tap on the “Delete” button located at the bottom-right corner of the screen. By doing that, your selected files will be marked for deleting and moved to the “Recently Deleted” location found in your iPhone’s File app. If you’d wish to recover the files you deleted, you can retrieve the data from the “Recently Deleted” within the first 30 days after deletion, after which the files will get deleted permanently.
Note: This procedure is handy when you want to free up some storage space by getting rid of the files you do not use frequently. Doing so also allows your device to operate faster.
How to Use iCloud Photos
iCloud Photos serves to back up your photos and videos automatically to keep an up to date collection in all your devices using the same Apple ID and iCloud.com. To enable pictures back up on the iPhone and iPad, follow the steps below.
- Go to your iPhone or iPad Setting application and tap to open it.
- After that, tap on the “Photos” and then tap on the “iCloud Photo Library”.
- Having done that, toggle the button next to your “iCloud Photos Backup” to “On” mode for your Photos to backup automatically to iCloud.
If you don’t prefer automatic backup of photos from your iPhone or iPad, the following steps will help you to back up your photos and videos manually using Mac.
- Ensure you’ve set the “Download Originals” option for your “Photos Library” to “On” and then proceed to the next step.
- Connect an external drive to you’re your mac computer using through USB-C, USB, or Thunderbolt.
- After that, launch a new “Finder” window on the Mac computer that you’re using.
- Click on the “pictures” found in the sidebar.
- Having done that, start dragging the “Photo Library” to the external drive and wait for your selected items to finish downloading.
Note: Light versions of your photos are stored in your iPhone or IPad while the original full resolution images get uploaded to the “Photos” in the iCloud Storage. Photos app also makes it easy to share your pictures and videos with the chosen few who you invite using a private sharing link.
How to Use iCloud Backup
Backup automatically uploads your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch data when your device is connected to a reliable Wi-Fi, plugged to a power source, and locked. The information can only be backed up when the Backup is turned on. You can backup your device either through a computer or through the device itself.
Turn on Automatic backup on iPhone
- Find the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad and tap on it to get it launched.
- After that, tap on your name and then go ahead and tap on the “iCloud”.
- Next, tap on the “iCloud Backups” and then turn the “ iCloud Backup” switch. By doing that, your device will now backup data and settings to your iCloud Storage automatically every day when your iPhone or iPad is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
Manual backup on iPhone
If you prefer to use manual backup instead of automatic backup, the following steps come in handy.
- On your iPhone or iPad device, find and tap on the “Settings” app to get it launched.
- Next, tap on your iPhone or iPad “name”.
- After doing that, proceed and tap on the ”iCloud”.
- In the menu that opens under iCloud, tap on the “iCloud Backup”.
- Lastly, tap on the “Back Up Now” option, and the backup process will commence immediately.
How to Delete iCloud Backups
Delete Backups on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
- On your Apple device, navigate and tap on the“Settings” application located on the home screen.
- Under the settings menu, tap on your device name and then tap on the “iCloud”.
- Under iCloud, tap on the “Manage Storage”.
- After that, tap on the “Backups”.
- Select the device that you no longer want to back up to the iCloud account. Having done that, tap on the “Delete Backup”. Doing so will delete the selected backup and turn off the automatic backup in that particular device. And that’s it.
Delete iCloud Backup Using Mac
- Click on the Apple menu and then go ahead and click on the “System Preferences”.
- After that, click on the “Apple ID,” then click on the “iCloud,” and finally click on the “Manage.” This step applies to macOS Catalina 10.5. However, if you’re using macOS 10.14 and earlier version, click on the “iCloud” and then click on the “Manage”.
- Having done that, proceed and click on the “Backups” from the left-side.
- Find and select the device that you do not want to continue backing up from the right-hand side.
- Finally, click on the “Delete” option, and the backup will get removed from the iCloud storage.
Note: If you do not find your Backups on the left side, then your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn’t have iCloud Backups enabled.
Delete iCloud Backup using Windows PC
- Find the iCloud for Windows and then double-click on it to get it launched.
- After that, click on the “Storage”.
- Click on the “Backups” on the left pane. If you do not find the “Backups” on the left, then your device doesn’t have backup enabled.
- After that, select the iPadOS and the iOS that you’d like to delete its backups.
- After selecting the device, click on the “Delete” Voila! You’ve successfully deleted the unwanted backup.
Note: Backups are essential. Apart from storing your frequently used data, it helps you to restore your iPhone device. Backups enable you to save your iPhone or iPad data and settings for future use in case you restore your device or lose some essential data.
What is iCloud and how do I use it?
How do I use iCloud storage?
- Go to Settings.
- Tap [your name].
- Tap iCloud.
How do I access my iCloud?
- Open iCloud.com in a web browser.
- Sign in with your Apple ID if necessary.
- Choose the app or service you want to use on your PC.
- To change your iCloud settings or check on your remaining iCloud storage space, click “Account Settings” under your account avatar.
Where do I see my iCloud photos?
How do I get my old pictures from iCloud?
- Go into your device’s Settings app.
- Tap your name at the top of the Settings menu. Tap your name at the top of the Settings menu on your device.
- Select “iCloud.” Tap “iCloud” on your Apple ID page.
- Tap “Photos.”
- Select “Download and Keep Originals.”
Why can’t I see my old photos on iCloud?
Do photos stay on iPhone if deleted from iCloud?
If you took a photo on your iPhone but don’t see it on your other devices, check your settings with these steps: Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud. Tap Photos. Turn on iCloud Photos.
How do I access old iCloud?
How can I find my iCloud ID and password?
Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups. Then tap a device listed under Backups to see the date and size of its latest backup. On the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in with your Apple ID.
How can I log into iCloud without a phone number?
How can I get my iPhone verification code without the phone?
How do I get my iCloud recovery key?
- Go to Settings > [your name].
- Tap Password and Security.
- A message says “Account Details Unavailable.” Tap Get Verification Code.
How can I access my iCloud if my phone is broken?
How can I retrieve data from a broken iPhone?
- Go to your Apple ID account page and enter your Apple ID and password.
- On the Verify Your Identity screen, select “Can’t access your trusted devices?”
- In the pop-up window, enter your Recovery Key.
- Go to the Security section and click Edit.
How can I recover data from a broken iPhone that won’t turn on?
How can I retrieve photos from a broken iPhone?
- Download, install and open Enigma Recovery. Download and install the data recovery software on your computer, and open it.
- Recover iPhone data from iTunes backup file.
- Select appropriate iTunes backups.
- Choose what data to recover from the dead iPhone.
- Recover files.