Graduation day, a day everyone waits for it eagerly.
It is the time when you feel honoredIt brings happiness, a joy to you and also a feeling of departingSpeech is an important aspect for graduation day, most of the time the students become emotional while speaking the speechAt the same time, it is a big question about what to speak in speechHere are some tips on how you can prepare and present a great commencement address:
- What will be Content of My Speech?
Well, you might be worried over the fact that you will have to deliver a speech in front of all your fellow graduates and their family members and also they might share your video on Twitter, Facebook, and many other social networking sites.
- But, you must know that you are not alone. You have to gather the courage to stand in front of everyone and speak a few words before leaving college.
- Many of the well-known speakers of today’s times were worried over the question as you.
- The solution is to get good content and be confident of what you have to speak.
- Even others also fear the situation of standing in front of a wide audience and speaking.
- Structure of Your Speech
Structure of the speech has its own importance, it is well said that if the structure is framed properly half of the job done.It has been elaborated upon the four main options in this section that you may opt for in order to structure your commencement address.
- After going through loads of commencement addresses, we found these four patterns as the best; however, these are not the only ways of designing a graduate speech.
- In this type, the speeches mentioned have anywhere between two to five themes. The speaker introduces these early on in his speech. The majority of the speech can be found spread evenly across the given themes and various stories are used in order to keep the message short and crisp.
- These themes are generally not briefed at the start of the address. However, such type of speech allows the speaker to cover a wide range of ideas.
- The speakers in this type of graduation speech tend to be more open to their audience and elaborate upon more ideas.
- The last one in this list is the one which aims to concentrate solely on one main theme. It is considered to be a tough one especially if you aim to deliver a stunning address.
- The Possible Themes You can Take
Though a well-thought topic no matter what it is, it may be the basis of any influential commencement address. The theme of your speech should be well thought before pen downing it.
- However, you would like to pick some theme which can easily be conveyed to the audience and also the one which you can effectively use to convey your own emotions.
- You may refer to some old famous graduate speeches and make your own adjustments to it.
- You must make sure that whatever theme you choose, you choose it wisely and during your address, elaborate upon it completely.
- It must have a proper meaning with a diverse approach.
- How Important is Storytelling
Stories are a great way to break a complex idea into much simpler terms. Stories always attract the listeners and they pay more attention. You may use personal anecdotes because through this you will be able to better express your emotions.
- It’s important that you narrate the stories effectively and import important details that you wish to convey to your audience.
- Stories must be properly told because stories can make or break a graduate speech.
- You may want to read some samples and master the art of storytelling.
- You must make sure that you aren’t taking up much time in this section because graduate speeches are obviously not meant to be very long.
- Length of the Graduation Speech
Always try to keep the speech short and simple. Too much length can lose the interest of the listeners. You have to maintain the interest of the audience all the time during the speech.
- The best length of the speech is 12 mins; you can take time between 10-15 mins also.
- This time duration will make the audience enthusiastic and more focused on your speech.
- With time we are noticing that the attention of the audiences is going down.
- Platitudes and Clinches
Wording being used during the speech reflects your message, so words should be proper with a meaning. Try to avoid some of the wording which actually doesn’t provide any meaning to the speech.
- If the speech is already ready, then make sure that these kinds of words are not added. Such as:
- The future begins.
- This is the beginning.
- This is your day.
- Let the End be with the Most Important Message
It is very obvious that the audiences will not be alert on your every word. It is very important for you to put your idea in front of them.
- Try to restate the idea which you stated in the beginning.
- This is the thing which they will remember in the last.
- The message should be short and simple. It is easier to remember.
- The message can be put in the form of humorous.
- Speech Delivery
Keep practicing your speech. It should not be that you are speaking for the first time. Before coming for it practice it thoroughly. Practice makes the man perfect. You will feel more comfortable on the stage if you have practiced it well.
- You can practice it facing the mirror. It will give you an idea that how you are speaking and where all you have to improve.
- Try to recreate the settings.
- Give the speech by wearing your gown and crown so as to be comfortable on that particular day.
- The more practice you do you will feel more comfortable.
- Maintain the Flow
- While giving the speech remember you should not break the flow. The speech should look to be in continuation. The topics should be related to each other. It is a special day so it can lead to some emotional aspects also.
- If you become emotional while speaking takes deep breaths to control your voice. It is a time when you have a feeling of happiness along with the sadness of leaving the college so it is a mixed feeling time.
- Try to control by cracking a joke so as to distract your attention.
- Make Your Day
It is a memorable moment for you. Enjoy while giving the speech and speak from the heart, you will feel good.
- Though the batch mates will not remember what you quote.
- It’s ok not a problem.
- Just try to have fun, relax and try to focus on big ideas.
- The most important part is the moment and the emotions attached to that moment try to live that.
- Try to relate a few things on the campus with the speech.
- Be very careful while speaking, avoid mistakes.
- Give a thankful speech to all those people who were a part of your tenure.
- Try to fill the speech with full enthusiasm.
- Remember some of the incidents and the days of your college time, discuss them, quote some names, all this makes people feel good and happy.
- Last but not least, try to keep a focal point of your speech so that the message which you want to give should not be diverted.